PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

PHAT400
10-18-2003, 07:29 AM
Hey gang, took the ex out yesterday morning to load up and it started fine for a cold morning. Got to work with it and it sat on the trailer until 6 last evening. (10 hrs) About 50 F all day. Went to start it and ride after work (we have a rally cross track behing the building) but nothing. after about 4 attempt's... whamo .. a big backfire. Now she will turn over but no start. Checked the plug and it is getting spark. I can smell fuel after a few attempt's, choke, no choke. Even did as the owners manual suggests what to do if flooded. Still nothing... What now? Did i possibly damage something with the backfire?

Greg Z
10-18-2003, 07:33 AM
if your flooded this is what ur gonna have to do

turn ur gass off

pick up ur quad on to its rear let all the gass drain out

turn gas back on and start it.........

also when you left ur qad out side on ur truck you might of got some precipitation water in ur air filter and maybe a little bit got into your engine??

just a though on the second part

PHAT400
10-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Great, I'll give it a shot. Thanks man... Be back in a few mins with the results..

Greg Z
10-18-2003, 07:41 AM
dont turn the gas on when its on the grab bar or all ur gass will come out put it on the ground all 4 wheels then turn on the gas then try starting it...

PHAT400
10-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Thanks Greg. Tried it, no dice.

Greg Z
10-18-2003, 07:53 AM
did u try starting it with the choke on?

PHAT400
10-18-2003, 07:58 AM
yeah, tried choke half on, full on..... off..... it doesnt even seem to try. The engine turns over great but no fire. Could the backfire have caused a problem?

PHAT400
10-18-2003, 07:59 AM
I have to run Greg. I'm going to load it and stop by the local shop to see if they might have any additional thoughts. I'll post later to let you know what I found out..

Thanks..

PHAT400
10-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Well, hauled that thing down to the dealer, told him what was up and he say's, "hang on a few mins and I'll check it out." Well , I told him the symptom's, he's say's fouled plug. I guess a fouled plug is not alway's easy to detect just by looking at it.

I just had the thing there about 20 hrs ago for the 20 hr service. He apologized and said that they did not change the plug when they did the service. Popped in a new plug and say's have a nice day. Really cool guy, n/c for the few min's it took for the install and n/c for the plug. Yeah it's only a few buck's but I was not charged for it when they did the service so I figure what the hell..

Thanks for the pointers though greg...

Greg Z
10-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by PHAT400
Well, hauled that thing down to the dealer, told him what was up and he say's, "hang on a few mins and I'll check it out." Well , I told him the symptom's, he's say's fouled plug. I guess a fouled plug is not alway's easy to detect just by looking at it.

I just had the thing there about 20 hrs ago for the 20 hr service. He apologized and said that they did not change the plug when they did the service. Popped in a new plug and say's have a nice day. Really cool guy, n/c for the few min's it took for the install and n/c for the plug. Yeah it's only a few buck's but I was not charged for it when they did the service so I figure what the hell..

Thanks for the pointers though greg...

no problem when was the last time you changed your plug? I forgot about fouling plugs because I have an EX and havent fouled a plug yet. J/w when you changed it last

cals400ex
10-18-2003, 11:03 PM
your plug was proablly just fouled as they told you. look at it and see if it looks wet and black. you could have probally just taken your plug out wipe it off so that it is all dry and put it back in. when starting the ex, i find it best not to give it any throttle. i usually go out to the bike, bump the throttle 3 or 4 times and then just hit the start button. it has never failed me yet.

PHAT400
10-20-2003, 06:42 AM
So far only about 50 hrs on it. This was the original plug. This sure won't happen to me again. What is a normal or common interval for plug changes?