PDA

View Full Version : meniscus (cartilage) tear

01TRX300EX
10-18-2003, 06:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever had a tear in the cartilage in there knee, the orthopedist says there is a stron possibility I have that (my knee has been in pain for about 6 months, and I just convinced my parents to take me to the doctor) he also says it could require surgery, I was just wondering if anyone else had it and what it was like afterwards and how long until you got to ride again, because the weather is perfect and I am restricted to riding slow, well...I cheat a little, but mostly slow. Thanks.

zarquon442
10-18-2003, 07:33 AM
got the same thing right now. goin in for surgery on tuesday. doc says im gonna be out for 4 to 5 weeks.

Dan_Guetter
10-18-2003, 08:50 PM
i tore my ACL 2 years ago.......it sucks, basiclly ended my racing/riding career.........im getting better and gonna be ready to race again here in the near future.....3 weeks ago i raced the pro class in mexico, and it killed me!!!

Honda4trax250x
10-18-2003, 08:55 PM
that sucks, ive been having trouble with my back lately, 16 is wayyyyyy too young for back problems!!!!

hondafox440
10-18-2003, 08:57 PM
My friend tore his in football. He was out for about 3-4 weeks, then came back with a brace on. I'm not sure if he needs surgery or not.

chucked
10-18-2003, 09:11 PM
i wouldnt risk messing it up. im a hypocrite for saying that though because i broke my ankle a few months ago and im supposed to be taking it easy for at least another month but ive been riding for almost 2 months and now my ankle is clicking real bad and i can feel somethings wrong, and yet i continue to ride and walk on it and do everything as if nothing was ever wrong. Ill be kicking my self in the ***** if i need surgery again.

FourFiftyFour
10-18-2003, 09:13 PM
my mom tore her ACL (I think)and tore some other cartlidge in her knee...full recovery took 9 months and it really hurt her.. i would get it taken care of quick before it gets worse like what happened to my mom

Guy400
10-19-2003, 06:09 AM
I tore my lateral meniscus in high school playing football and had to have 1/3 of it cut out. I have not regained full movement in that knee (about 90% full motion), it aches when it's cold and damp out, it aches when I stand for too long, it aches when I walk too much, it hurts when I squat down all the way, I can't play basketball on asphalt or concrete or it will swell later that evening and the doctor told me to expect the beginning stages of arthritis by my mid -30's:(

The good part is my knee doesn't dislocate anymore and riding quads doesn't seem to bother it at all:macho

pineway
10-19-2003, 08:22 AM
I play hs football and a kid on the team tore his and was out only about 1-2 weeks. He came back with a brace on. Im pretty sure he doesnt need surgery but i dont no. Sounds like yours is a lot more serious especailly if its been like that for 6 months.

01TRX300EX
10-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone, I am going in for the MRI tomorrow, and I will find out next week whether or not I need surgery or not. Its gonna be kinda hard to cheat right now, with no gas in the 300EX, and I am sick again, so I kinda don't have a choice on whether or not to take it easy, its just so hard not to go ride when the temperatures are perfect and the ground is dry again.

stace609
10-20-2003, 02:52 PM
my dog had that. granted he's a dog, but a tear is a tear. they removed his and made a fake one from monofilament. he did great afterwards until he ran up a set up stairs before he was supposed to and now he has a little limp. just be careful. it's not worth having a problem forever just so you can do stuff before you are supposed to. good luck man.

pbarr86
10-20-2003, 03:23 PM
My girl had the same thing but hers tore on both sides. Her 1st surgery (yes I said 1st) didn't work, she was out for about 5 weeks before they decided that she would need to go back in for a 2nd surgery. The 2nd one went much better and she was only down and out for about 4 weeks and the pain wasn't nearly as bad as after the 1st.

as others have said it's not 100% but it's close.

Good luck!!!