PDA

View Full Version : wheelie shifting

400woodsrider
10-17-2003, 10:06 PM
when you guys wheelie do you use the clutch or just bump the gears I can do both prefere bumping the gears cause you can end up on your arse pretty quick using the clutch and is bumping the gears in a wheelie hard on the tranny even if the shifts are smooth

Kilabanshee
10-18-2003, 08:20 AM
I just pop it in 2nd gear and wait till iam pretty much at a balance point then i just shift. If you fell your going back just use you back break and it will put your front down if your about to go back on the grab bar.

steveatv3
10-18-2003, 02:45 PM
i love my wheeler and dont want to screw it up, so i ALWAYS use the clutch, and as long as u dont give it gas with the clutch on and let it fly while doing a wheelie u will be fine

400woodsrider
10-18-2003, 06:05 PM
yeah I allready know about how to bring it down if its going over I dont have back brakes so I just raz it down a gear if im going over I can allready wheelie for miles I was mainly wondering if it hurts your tranny to bump them even if the shifts are nicley timed and smoth cause I prefere bumping the gears cause it dosent buonce the front end at all

speedy400
10-18-2003, 06:27 PM
it just takes balls and practice, I start in 1st, get it a little past the ballence point and shift up, I get get them going up to 4th-darren

GOMER007
10-18-2003, 07:19 PM
it doesnt hurt your gears to not use the clutch if you here grinding noses then it's bad logn as you let of the gas a little bit and yes I use the clutch when I wheelie I some times just **** with out any who:blah:

hondafox440
10-18-2003, 07:38 PM
I just get it up to the balance point, let off slightly, grab the next gear, and repeat. I can ride 1-5 gear wheelies sitting down, and 1-3 1 footed ones.

NTPRacing#19
10-19-2003, 01:24 PM
so i take it that you dont use your clutch at all when you wheelie, i would think if you practiced a bit mroe with your clutch you can yank a longer wheelie

sharpshooter
10-19-2003, 01:46 PM
it doesn't hurt your tranny to up shift without the clutch but do not down shift with out it

GOMER007
10-19-2003, 06:03 PM
you can shift up and dwon with out the clutch if you just let off the throttel a little bit:ermm:

JLanphear
10-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Well, I figure you have a clutch, might as well use it....so I use mine.

Unless you wanna get a little fancy smancy and reach down and shift with your left hand.

-Josh

2003EXRIDER
10-20-2003, 09:27 AM
just bring her up past balance get out the gas a little a bang her up no clutch:devil:

speedy400
10-20-2003, 10:30 AM
I pull the clutch in every gear. better safe than a f-ed up tranny.-darren

Live2Ride300
10-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Once you learn to balance a wheelie well, then just start trying to pull the clutch in, you will get the hang of it. You'll find that perfect sweet spot

400woodsrider
10-20-2003, 08:39 PM
NTPRacing#19 no I usually dont use my clutch while wheeling but I can I am just not used to it I dont see how I can go any futher with the cluth I can pretty much wheelie as long as I have room to 1-5 unless I have to go down hill it gets pretty hard to keep up are you maby talking about giving it another fan when it is droping in 5th gear Im not to sure about that that's going pretty fast if I were to go over backwards I would really **** up myself and the bike but other than that I am going to pratice wheeling with the clutch as soon as I get new tires

racerz
10-20-2003, 09:16 PM
ok im just wondering but what kind of quads are you all using to do these wheelies????

2003EXRIDER
10-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by racerz
ok im just wondering but what kind of quads are you all using to do these wheelies????

2003 400ex

JLanphear
10-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by 400woodsrider
NTPRacing#19 no I usually dont use my clutch while wheeling but I can I am just not used to it I dont see how I can go any futher with the cluth I can pretty much wheelie as long as I have room to 1-5 unless I have to go down hill it gets pretty hard to keep up are you maby talking about giving it another fan when it is droping in 5th gear Im not to sure about that that's going pretty fast if I were to go over backwards I would really **** up myself and the bike but other than that I am going to pratice wheeling with the clutch as soon as I get new tires

I don't think it's a matter of being able to go further if you use the clutch, I think that it's probably just better for your quad.

-Josh

2003EXRIDER
10-21-2003, 09:41 AM
i've never used the clutch on the quad or my bike. i not saying that it's better on it not to use it but i have 23000 mile on my bike and ride wheelies on it every time i ride it. yall make a good point and i'll try to use the clutch on the quad and see what happens.

TheX1992
10-21-2003, 10:04 AM
sometimes i just let off the gas and shift. NEVER shift down without a clutch though. i hear to many horror stories about that. when you can, use the clutch. if you cant....dont make a habit of it

400woodsrider
10-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by racerz

2002 400ex

mall0y
10-24-2003, 09:52 PM
if you didnt need a clutch to shift then dont ya think they would make them without clutches??? so therefore i would use the clutch all the time...just my 2 cents

ThorR88
10-31-2003, 02:59 PM
400 are awesome for wheelies i have done wheelies for a long time now i can ride them for as long as i wont most of the time ill be going in 4th gear and nail the gas and pull up and ride it any other time ill do it in 1st gear and shift all the way up to 5th and ride it i dont use the cluth its easyer not to....just if the front end is about to drop up shift....:D

2003 400ex yellow
ac ppro peg nerfs
ac front bumber
alluimiun air box diamond plated
cut yellow hmf pipe
lonestar +4 axel
lonestar+2 a arms chrome
quad tech carbon hood
new plastics
pro taper handle bars
hand guards
brake block off
dirt bike clutch
cr 125 kill switch to start mine
maier kill switch
razers
douglos 190 8 inch beadlocks in rear
10 in douglos beadlocks in front
18 inch cut tamers in rear
19 mx holeshots in front
works trp. rate shocks with rezzies
seat cover
custon coolient fan installed
omf scoops
few other extras
can beat raptors and banshee's but i dont know why motor is stock!!! only thing sotck is my frame

hondafox440
11-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Actually, shifting without a clutch won't hurt your transmission if you do it right. Dirtbikes and quads have Constant Mesh Transmission, which is much different than early bikes and cars. I don't fell like getting into the nitty gritty details, but as long as you let off the throttle before shifting (so the engine ins't under acceleration), you can shift without the clutch and not harm anything. I rarely use the clutch when I am riding, and never when I'm racing.

Live2Ride300
11-01-2003, 04:58 PM
My favorite wheelie machines are

300ex
atc350x
400ex

What about you guys?

ThorR88
11-01-2003, 05:58 PM
400ex by far:macho

300exQuadracer
11-10-2003, 07:58 PM
i could ride wheelies through every gear on my 300 by shifting with the clutch and now on my 250r i can go through every gear using the clutch
use the clutch or you will start bendint the shift forks i did it on my dirtbike and it was a costly repair

aroracer72
11-10-2003, 08:41 PM
yeah, and thats why racers wonder why their bikes need constant motor work. ALL the pros use there clutches when shifting....only time they dont use the clutch is when they accidently bump the shifter. And shifting without a clutch ALWAYS causes damage, just depends how much, usually your wheeleis wont hurt it enough in a short enough period of time to cause serious damage, but racing without using the clutch.....thats just stupid, i was 2nd in the state in the B class on my dirtbike, and i ALWAYS use the clutch, hope i never buy a quad from some 1 that talks like that, who ever told you this info has themselves mixed up. Unless you are a noob(dont know what your doing), you learn with a clutch, and use a clutch. And as for racer guy not using it, you need it to go fast and keep your meet of the power going, ignorant. Luckily you guys are using no clutches on the most reliable quads on the planet, 400ex's...you do that on my quad(cannondale), or any other brand race quad or sport...over time it will get more sloppier in shifting..and eventually start blowing gears. The clutch is there for a reason, but it hurts more to downshift without a clutch...than up shift, but i suggest ALWAYS using the clutch, if you dont wanna be a yahoo dumby.

Nausty
11-27-2003, 04:40 PM
is it just me or when you ride a wheelie on a stock 400ex seem to go slower in 5th than being topped out in 4th? If you ask me the motor just doesn't wanna seem to pull in 5th gear with all the wind against the bottem of the quad. High speed wheelies are so much fun though. It almost feels surreal riding 55-60mph wheelies down the highway on a quad.:o

sparks400
11-27-2003, 05:19 PM
i can use the clutch, but mostly dont

Nausty
11-27-2003, 05:27 PM
I always use the clutch. My dad hates it when I don't in a race.:grr: