PDA

View Full Version : question on some head work

drip
10-17-2003, 01:21 AM
I am working on a friends 1985 ATC200X. The problem was that his 3-wheeler was smoking a lot. I thought no biggie, I would check his cylinder for wear and see if he needed to bore it out and get new piston and rings. I started taking it apart and found about a tablespoon of oil on top of the piston (enough oil to actually see it flow over the front of the engine). I knew right away that this much oil was not coming up past the rings especially when I measured everything and it was within specs. I figured that maybe the valve seals were wore out. Well I started to disassemble the valves when I noticed that I could move the valve guide with my fingers. That suprised me because it is supposed to be a very tight fit which requires them to be driven out, but I was able to pull the intake guide out with my fingers. I could see that the oil has been leaking past the guide and into the combustion chamber. I need to know if anyone knows of a way to fix this problem. I was thinking that an oversized valve guide might work but I don't know if they are made, especially for an ATC200X. I will be calling around for more information, but if anyone knows of anything that might help me, let me know.

Thank you