PDA

View Full Version : 400ex dies

sica
10-16-2003, 05:05 PM
why does my 400ex die after i have been riding and then i pull the clutch and it goes dead while coasting...i have a dmc full exhaust with k&n filter airbox lid on. i have a 152 mail and a 42 pilot with the e-clip on the 4th position

Ryan
10-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Your Idle or Air/Fuel mixture screw could be on the wrong setting. You also just might have something stuck in your carb.

Chanman420q
10-16-2003, 06:54 PM
i had that problem, i had to much slack in my throttle cable, i just tightend it, just a tad tho.

cals400ex
10-17-2003, 08:12 PM
i am wondering if your a little lean on the mainjet. this isn't your problem, but just a suggestion to you. i see you are using a 42 pilot. how many turns are you out on the fuel skrew?? also, mine tended to do this when i moved my clip down to the 4th position as it was too rich for the bike. you may want to order a shim that goes under the needle from C&D. this will allow you to adjust your needle right between the 3rd and 4th clip.

sica
10-17-2003, 09:58 PM
the screw is about 2 3/4 turns out....

cals400ex
10-17-2003, 11:52 PM
i would take the carb off and clean it out first. it may not hurt to buy a new spark plug either. after that, i would make sure you don't have an air leak where the carb mounts on.

quadrider400
10-19-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by sica
why does my 400ex die after i have been riding and then i pull the clutch and it goes dead while coasting...i have a dmc full exhaust with k&n filter airbox lid on. i have a 152 mail and a 42 pilot with the e-clip on the 4th position

:eek2: Well this may seem to easy but is your idle to low? You did not mention if it dies when you are just sitting waiting for everyone else to catch up with you:D

I think you might want to take off the air box lid and you really should think about an exhaust .... you opened up the intake but did not allow for anyway for getting out the extra air .... if you do that than you will need to get a new main jet... funny how one thing leads to another......:rolleyes:

sica
10-19-2003, 05:51 PM
it dies after i am ridding at a pretty good pace....3rd,4th,or 5th gear and then i will pull the clutch in and apply the brake to slow down and that is when it dies.....
i do have an exhaust as stated in the first post it is a dmc alien full exhaust......