PDA

View Full Version : long travel front and rear

Tommy 17
10-16-2003, 03:57 PM
well guyz i've decided i'm goin to sale my 50 and my front end i have now for a long travel set up on the 400... i want to get away from the druggie 50 riders i'm in with and now that i'm gonna be 18 next season i can race again...

my question is which is the best +3 long travel a-arm for the 400ex???

right now i was thinkin ARENS for price if he ever comes out with them:rolleyes: if not what about JRD, houser, herrman, laeger etc...

i'm goin to be on a budget of about 2500 to 2700$ for a long travel front and rear set up so which do u guys think is the best...

i'll probably have axis front shocks (i see used all the time now) and i was thinkin the elka long travel rear...

p.s. if anyone wants to trade i have a 50 and a 16 inch elka/burgard +1 front;)

i'm also open to all deals on a 250r with the trade of my 406 and 50:macho

remlapr
10-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Tommy - just get the new elka rear linkage - it will give you almost two more inches of travel in the rear using the elka rear you already have. I think a full long travel MX setup would only give you one more inch?

seven
10-16-2003, 05:12 PM
The gains are not in the length of travel but in the extra room for better valving.

10-16-2003, 05:40 PM
hey tommy what mods you have on the 50 maybe ill pick it up :devil:

Dave400ex
10-16-2003, 06:18 PM
I would be looking at Arens, Laeger or Burgard for the a-arms. I think John about has them done, but I'm not positive. For the rear I think the Elka link and Shock would be the way to go. If you get the Elka rear I would get Elka LT fronts also. If you have stock front brake lines longer ones will be needed. Also I believe with the +3 arms 4+1 wheels are needed for the best setup.

Tommy 17
10-16-2003, 06:23 PM
the 50 is show room condition...

the rear shock and linkage will most likly be the new elka set up with a elka shock... i gotta talk to jeff about it...

for the front right now i'm thinkin a arens/axis front...

the reason i want long travel is for the simple fact of this is my last year of riding b4 college... its my last chance in awhile to have fun so i want to be jumpin again... and i want the best suspension i can possibly have under me for safty reasons if i screw up... i know long travel gives better valving and thats why i want it...

Dave400ex
10-16-2003, 06:30 PM
That setup sounds pretty good. I think if you get the Arens arms you may want to look at the Elka fronts because I know John told me he was trying to work with Elka on the shocks. Rather then that everything sounds good. Only other thing I can think of is a Stabilizer for those +3 arms.

Tommy 17
10-16-2003, 06:36 PM
i've just heard one to many good things about axis to not go with them... i just have to try them out:macho

i just read the brake line thing... i will have to sale my brake lines fast line stk length and buy new ext. ones... damn o well... that'll only be like 40$ more i guess... no problem just a pain in the butt...

a stablizer is on my list 2... but it'll come after the other parts... i have a few more things on the list also like a axle, and my 21 fronts for 20s... lil things like that...

i have a few other lil toys i can sale so i'll end up with about 3000 in play money:macho

i just can't justify salin my 400 for the new 450f when it will be totaly stk and i can have a full long travel 400 for the same amount... power means nothing without the handling behind it...

Dave400ex
10-16-2003, 07:00 PM
I hear you on the Axis. I would really like to try them out. You should have got ahold of the ones Pappy was selling.

Yeah with that wide of a front end the axle would be needed. The Stabilizer is just a great mod.

I think you will be happy with the setup you said above. Can't wait to see it done.

Tommy 17
10-16-2003, 07:09 PM
i'm in no rush to do this... i want to do my home work 1st and look at every option... i have to sale a few things 1st to get the money 2..

my elka front end and my 50 are the 2 big things... i won't be done till february or so... just in time for the season... i want to do this right... i don't want a half arse job done...

i'm also thinkin about changing the complete color scheme to bright orange and yellow:devil:

10-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Well you know what i got for slae tommy. I also have a brand new PEP Rebuildable stabilizer that i never used. Still in the box. I also have the orange plastic too. With or w/o hood. Tires, rims, axis rear, leager swingarm and arms. I also have +3 front brakelines that are like new and like new +2 rear brakeline. Both are fastline SS.

10-18-2003, 10:46 AM
long travel isnt gonna save you if you uck up, dont be sooo scaaaared