PDA

View Full Version : cam & rockers help please

J25
02-05-2002, 05:53 PM
ok ive been reading some post and i ve been seeing rockers and cams....... what are they and what do they do...... what does hardening them do......gimme all the input you got on cams, rockers, and valves...... thanks sorry for such a stupid question

330exracer
02-05-2002, 05:59 PM
holy bejesus we got a newbie on our hands.

330exracer
02-05-2002, 06:05 PM
ok well a cam is a lil thingamiger that rotates and has little egg like lobes on it andmoves the rockers up and down blah blah. then rocker lift the valve open . the springs keep the vavles shut blah blah. hardening makes the part of the rocker that rides ont the cam harder. hopefuly i siad it right. proly not though cause im stupid.

NewRider
02-05-2002, 06:16 PM
QuadMan,

Ill try and explain, though Im not very good at explaining engine 101. First of all, the valves are what allows fuel into the combustion chamber where it is burned. They also allow the exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber. The valves are held shut by valve springs. The are opened by the rockers pressing against the spring, thus forcing the valve down and making a gap between the valve and the head, allowing gas in or exhaust out. The cam is a rod with lobes on it. As the cam turns, the lobes force the rocker to push down on the valves.When people talk about duration or lift, they are referring to the following...

Lift affects how far the valves are opened. (a taller lobe, yields more lift)
Duration affects how long the valves stay open. (the wider the actual tip of the lobe is, causes longer duration)

Not sure if this helps, but its the only way I know how to explain it. :rolleyes:

As far as hardened rockers, it helps prevent wear from the rocker riding on the cam and from wearing or cracking while pressing against the valvespring tension.

Hope that helps a little.

John

330exracer
02-05-2002, 06:18 PM
oo u had 2 out do my valve train for dumbies didn't yah

NewRider
02-05-2002, 06:21 PM
sorry 330...

Im a very slow typer... didnt see your answer before I started :rolleyes:

330exracer
02-05-2002, 06:23 PM
i was just kiddin

CBW
02-11-2002, 10:35 PM
new rider and 330ex racer answered your post well....as far as the questions youasked me i have douglas billet center rims and my razars work great.....but mostly i trail ride....as far as my plastics i wash my quadw with my hotsy pressure washer and it is soap injected and it is concentrated hotsy brand soap....after washing and drying and lubing i spray lemmon pledge on my plastics it repels dust, gives a nice shine and smells good too...got that tip off lrd's web site....did i get it all....if not pm me again i dont mind...:)

Live2Ride300
02-12-2002, 01:37 PM
hey chris what is lrds website?

thanks in advance

Scott
02-12-2002, 01:50 PM
So why doesn't someone make roller rockers for ATVs? That would eliminate the need for hard facing the rockers. They would have less friction, so the rockers AND the cam would last longer.

Then we could get into rocker ratios and all kinds of good stuff. Talk about unlimited options... You could change the lift and duration of a cam by changing the rocker ratio. Billet roller rockers with reinforced trunions. Maybe I've been spending too much time in the Jegs catalogs...

CBW
02-12-2002, 01:52 PM
YEAH...good idea i have gold race roller rockers in my service truck....they are awsome:D

JustRace
02-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Well since they aswered your question I thought maybe a picture would help you understand there answers a little better.

J25
02-12-2002, 07:40 PM
ok everything is much clearer now thanks guys........ im only 13 so dats why i didnt no...... i dont want you guys to think im in my 20s and dunt no what they are lol

Thanks again

CBW
02-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Justrace...............now those were some usefull pictures....wish i had thought of that....:)

400exRacerX
02-13-2002, 02:12 PM
I wanna buy one of those things that you add to your motor to go faster. I forgot what its called though.......oh wait its called a piston! I want to get a piston for my motor i heard they make you go faster. Maybe I'll buy a valve or what ever its called too. Then I think my 400 will top out at like 120mph since it already does 90mph!

Tommy 17
02-13-2002, 03:03 PM
norm did u take some stupid pillz haha... since when did ur 400 do 90mph... did u accidently drop a small block chevy motor into it:D

400exJOE
02-13-2002, 04:59 PM
Don't laugh, some kid on Bluetraxx a few months back wanted to know where he could by a powerband for his blaster! I always new those bluetraxx dudes ate a few to many paint chips as kids!

TrengaBlaster3
02-13-2002, 05:11 PM
*clear throat* joe you should stop kissin *** around here and put that 440 in...... what ya think?

and you could send me a link to the powdercoating post cuz im too lazy to look. thanks.