PDA

View Full Version : 416 or 440 ?

4()()EX
10-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Hi,,This may have already been asked but witch is better a 416 or 440 kit?also what company did you get yours from and for how much?i have a stock 03 400 and i want to mod. it and then i may get into racing,not sure yet but i want to be able to beat anything around here,mainly z's and a few others,i want to build mine so it'll smoke everyone else's quads(of course),and last i want to start a list of mods that i will be putting together so i'm opened to all opinions and such so let me know and Thanks for your time,,,,Kyle

bmw500hp
10-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Assuming you want a mx style motor....

Both engines are or can be built to be just o.k. or outstanding!

If money is not an issue check out the 416 National motors on the Curtis Sparks website.

The performance lies in that 416's with the 12.5 to one piston, his cam w/h-rockers, correct headwork and the FCR carbs.

Unless a very reputable builder builds your 440, it would be hard to beat a 416 sparks National motor.

Another good guy to contact is Dee from Rage ATV. His 416's are also strong! The philosophies are very similar. You would get it back somewhat quicker. I am sure the deal would be more realistic as well.

Good Luck

10-15-2003, 09:59 PM
depends on the money you are willing to spend and if u r boring or stroking...the 440 stroker is probably one of the best and most effiecent engines there is between all the bores...but if you dont wanna spend that much you could bore to 416 or 440...if you wanna do either u r gonna need some other parts...like a cam...pipe...maybe some porting...air filter...high comp piston....some other misc. stuff that will help it run better...if you go with the 440 bore all of this is almost required to beat a good 416...i chose 416 because no worries about heat...and you can do slight mods with tons of power...if u wanna throw out some big cash you can pick up a 440 stroker...with a stroker crank and a 416 bore...this will put ur normal 416 to the limit by giving it a ton of extra tourque on top of the normal 416 power...either way there is no wrong way to do it...as long as you buy the right things...i chose JE for my piston...some people buy ross piston because they are lighter but i figured my bike revs out fast enough as is and i wanted something a little more reliable...so i got the JE 10.8:1...with the XR gaskets u can take that up to 11:1 or close to it so you won't need the race gas...as for a cam...that all depends on where you want your power to be...i chose stage 2 hotcam because i didnt wanna spend the $ to get hardened rockers and some springs...valves...etc...the stage 2 gave me nice top end gains without losing much on the low end....as for porting and polish...me and my dad did this ourselves...if you kno what your doing and u have the right kind of dremel heads its and easy job...just make sure you dont make them glass smooth because you want some backpressure...as for air filter...you will get more flow out of the K&N filter and if you run it with an outerwear you should be ok...if u dont want gauze you can go with a foam...the best foam is probably uni...make sure u oil it :( ...it said preoiled on my sparks instructions for my filter...i didnt oil it...took out my engine...scratched the cylinder etc...make sure to do this...as for jets...i am running a 170 main and a 45 piolet...this is at around 900 feet or so...thats about all the info i can tell you...and if u plan on doing the job yourself...make sure to get a clymers manual...and when u r putting it back together...before you begin on the rocker assembly make sure to check out exriders tech articles...the manual is wrong...we found out the hard way and broke a bolt :( ...after u get it assembled dont forget breakin...have fun...wish u well

UglyMotha™
10-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
...just make sure you dont make them glass smooth because you want some backpressure...

good post except one but......... you said not to make it smooth as glass which is right for the intake side but it's not for back pressure you want to leave the intake rough which allows for turbulance creating a good air/fuel mixture if you were to polish it smooth then you would have problems with fuel condensating on the walls however the exhaust side is a different story you actually want to polish this side smooth as glass......just a little fyi ;)

Colby@C&DRacing
10-16-2003, 10:27 AM
We also build very fast 416 426 and 440 here at C&D Racing. If you just want to do a cheap HP increase we have one of the best do it your self 416 kits around. If you are looking for more then we do complete crank up engine building at afffordable prices.

4()()EX
10-16-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi and thank you all for replying.....bmw500hp-i took a look at sparks's website and it looks like i could just ship the motor to them and they can do quite a bit to it and then i could just add everything else that i need,do you think that with the 416 i should get a better carb??.........XxHonda_RacerxX-money is deffinitly a concern but i will see how much i can spend.also could you enlighten me on the 440 stroker,i probably wont get it but it still sounds interesting.and thanks again for such a long post:) ..i learned quite a bit......Colby-thanks for replying,i'm still looking around but i'll keep in touch,,thanks again Kyle

bmw500hp
10-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Kyle:

If you are like me, you investigate all your options like trying on shoes. Why not? it free, fun and interesting!

In the end it really boils down to how much you realistically have to spend. You probably have figured this out by now but a sparks motor will cost you quite a bit. It's not something that will happen for less than 2000.00 at a minimum. More like 2700,00 when it's all said and done. Most people in your situation (as I was) drool over that web-page but can't come off the $$. It's then that we have to make our realistic decisions.....

I do know for a fact what Colby suggests has been proven to provide one of the better horsepower gains for the money spent. I think the secret is the FCR 39 carb. he frequently uses. I have one, I just have yet to install it. I also have the Ross he uses and love it!

In any regard, my only regret was that i wasted half the summer deliberating what build I wanted...Don't screw around too much...a built motor is so much more fun...and you can always do more to it.

Good luck! :D

4()()EX
10-16-2003, 12:39 PM
bmw500hp-$2700 is alot for me,i'm 16 so i have to save all my money and i think i may go with colby,but my father put the 2 year warrenty on my quad and he told me i cant bore the motor till it's done so i was just looking around and i still will....Colby-can you give me a price quote so i will be able to save up enough money to get it and also what other items can you put together with the 416 or 426 to give it more hp?and last are your 426 better than your 416s?,remember mine is stock.Thanks agian Kyle

UglyMotha™
10-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 4()()EX
bmw500hp-$2700 is alot for me,i'm 16 so i have to save all my money and i think i may go with colby,but my father put the 2 year warrenty on my quad and he told me i cant bore the motor till it's done so i was just looking around and i still will....Colby-can you give me a price quote so i will be able to save up enough money to get it and also what other items can you put together with the 416 or 426 to give it more hp?and last are your 426 better than your 416s?,remember mine is stock.Thanks agian Kyle

colby can hook ya up with a pretty bad motor for the fraction of that cost i did my own motor but i got everything from c&d and my bike is far from a slouch it has dropped quite a few jaws

4()()EX
10-16-2003, 12:57 PM
UglyMotha-sounds good to me,,,i cant wait to do business with C&D..thanks Kyle

Colby@C&DRacing
10-16-2003, 01:03 PM
I would not say that my 426's are better than my 416's it is just that most of the time if a customer has more money to spend we go witht the 426 kit , new sleeve, new rod, head studs etc. When someone wants more power and speed but is on a budget I can build a reliable 416 that is fast for alot less money.

BMW500hp your inbox is full:)

4()()EX
10-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Colby-so if i get enough money you rather go to the 426?,i also need a pipe,air filter ect.but i think i will go with the 416,can you give me a list of products that you can put with the 416 to bring out the most hp and power?,and i looked through your website and it's nicely done,i can pretty much get everything i need for my quad at your site and thats a great thing...thanks again Kyle

Colby@C&DRacing
10-16-2003, 01:28 PM
I can built the 416 just like the 426 , new rod, head studs etc, but it is not as important on the 416 as the 426. As far as my site it is old and has only a fraction of my products. If you don't see it on the site I probably sell it, it's just not listed.:)

4()()EX
10-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks Colby,,i sent you a message....Kyle

10-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
good post except one but......... you said not to make it smooth as glass which is right for the intake side but it's not for back pressure you want to leave the intake rough which allows for turbulance creating a good air/fuel mixture if you were to polish it smooth then you would have problems with fuel condensating on the walls however the exhaust side is a different story you actually want to polish this side smooth as glass......just a little fyi ;)
y do u want the exhaust side smooth as glass?

linkcmd88
10-16-2003, 03:09 PM
Colby how much for one your 416 kits and if you put it in

10-16-2003, 03:13 PM
linkcmd88 do u wanna ride some time...u live not too far from me...pomona is like 45 minutes away...we could meet down at perry or something if u wanted to ride...how old r u?

linkcmd88
10-16-2003, 07:25 PM
im 15 do you race if so have you ever raced at dragoon thats where i race

10-20-2003, 12:50 PM
ive heard of it but never raced there

UglyMotha™
10-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
y do u want the exhaust side smooth as glass?

because you don't need the turbulance in the exhaust like you do in the intake and you want everything to flow as quickly and smoothly as possible out

Steve-o 400EX
10-23-2003, 03:23 PM
I agree with XxHonda_RacerxX, a 416 is the way to go, unless you have a lot of cash and need a lot of hp.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by linkcmd88
Colby how much for one your 416 kits and if you put it in

I am just making sure that you got a response. Did he get your questions anwered?