PDA

View Full Version : Sparks 8 plate clutch and adjustment...

Glamis400ex
10-15-2003, 06:52 PM
I am having probs getting a full pull on my Sparks 8 plate clutch. The first half of the pull is all slack... the last 1/3 or so, I'm pulling clutch. Probably like an inch and 1/4 or so of freeplay. It was fine before with the stocker...clutch free play and all that was perfect. Now that I have this one, I can't seem to get enough adjustment out of it. I am all the way out on the perch and on the case below.

Anyone with the same set up, I would like to know if you had to adjust or get a new perch and lever or what. Can I use spacers???

I have a Magnum EZ Pull on there now, and I think I might need just a CR perch and lever, nothing fancy.

AIM me if you like

alinerica123

Glamis

cals400ex
10-15-2003, 10:29 PM
i have the same set up as you and i don't have that problem. the dealer installed my clutch about 2 years ago so i can't help on the installation. i can say that i am no where near all the way out on the clutch cable on the perch and i am not all the way out down by the case either. i am wondering if there was an installation problem or if your cable is majorly stretched.

Glamis400ex
10-16-2003, 06:01 AM
Thanks for your input Cals400ex,

The only way to screw up the installation would be to not put them in. It's real straight forward. Nothing tricky at all.

Cable is less than year old.

What brand or style perch and lever do you have?

Glamis

10-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Mine was exactly the same. Once i got the case back on an bolted up i reached up and pretty much pulled mine to the grip with no tension. WTF:mad:

I adjusted it alot at the perch and down at the clutch arm before it finally started to feel normal again. I think anyone that goes with this setup is gonna have the same problem. I have a RTC lever on now but at the time I had a normal CR250 perch and lever installed. With the magura I can't ofer any advice cuz i've never owned one or set one up.

I have a stock length cable so I'm guessin you just need to adjust it even more. It's perfect now but the pull is a little stiffer than before, but the mofo hooks up so much better now.

mxracer111
10-16-2003, 10:11 AM
are you sure you have all the plates in correctly.... they all go in the same groove.... except that last fiber you put in.... it rotates abit and sits in a different groove by itself....i have installed many of these kits and havent had a problem like that..... sometimes they grab a bit..... but have never had that much freeplay

10-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by mxracer111
are you sure you have all the plates in correctly.... they all go in the same groove.... except that last fiber you put in.... it rotates abit and sits in a different groove by itself

Only if your using the stock basket. A Hinson basket does not have the small groove for the last plate to fit in..:cool:

mxracer111
10-16-2003, 10:42 AM
well.....i have never worked with a hinson basket in a 400ex.....

if he is using a hinson......if its the 8plate basket will it still accept a sparks 8 plate which is designed for the stock basket?

10-16-2003, 10:53 AM

if he is using a hinson......if its the 8plate basket will it still accept a sparks 8 plate which is designed for the stock basket?

YOu betcha...http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/thumb.gif

I've got the sparks 8 plate with heavier springs and hinson basket,,it all fits just fine..:cool: And works friggen great..http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/icon_headbang.gif

mxracer111
10-16-2003, 11:16 AM
but is it the hinson 8 plate basket? or hinson stock replacement basket? i have seen both.... but wasent sure if the plates are interchangeable

10-16-2003, 11:29 AM
but is it the hinson 8 plate basket? or hinson stock replacement basket? i have seen both.... but wasent sure if the plates are interchangeable

:confused:

I"m pretty sure Hinson only makes 1 type of basket for the 400ex. It only list's 1 type on their webpage..:confused:

F-16Guy
10-16-2003, 12:39 PM
wouldn't the lifter pin be out toward the case more with the additional fiber and steel plates? Seems like the arm would have to rotate around farther before it would lift the pin and disengage the clutch. Maybe that's why it feels like the cable is stretched. You guys may need a slightly shorter cable, or maybe you could flip or modify the bracket to gain additional adjustment. I wonder if the Hinson cover compensates for this?

10-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Mines workin fine. Still room left for more adjusting if it needs it.

I'm not sure what the thickness difference might be between the stock 400ex plates(fiber and steel) compared the 8 plate setup which is 300ex steel plates and I think CR250 fibers??:confused:

I know FDO puts the pressure plate on a mill and shaves off a little but how much I dont' know. Maybe this is to make up the difference for the extra plate. :confused:

mxracer111
10-16-2003, 01:59 PM
the 8 plate kit from sparks uses 8 thin plates....the stock setup with 7 plates....has thicker plates.....the 8 plate kit when installed is no thicker than the stock setup...but there is more friction surface....thats what makes it better.....

and sorry...i though hinson had a seperate basket for their 8 plate kit..... i beleieve that you have to uses some component that is different to use their a plate kit

Glamis400ex
10-16-2003, 07:11 PM
WOW...lotsa reply's. You guys are awesome trying to help me figure this out.

MXracer111, yes, all the plates are in the same slot, except for the last one. It's in it's own notch.

I'm out looking at my bike trying to figure out a way to give me more adjustment. No dice yet.

Glamis

K_Fulk
10-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Mines workin fine. Still room left for more adjusting if it needs it.

I'm not sure what the thickness difference might be between the stock 400ex plates(fiber and steel) compared the 8 plate setup which is 300ex steel plates and I think CR250 fibers??:confused:

I know FDO puts the pressure plate on a mill and shaves off a little but how much I dont' know. Maybe this is to make up the difference for the extra plate. :confused:

Same thing Gt Thunder does too, dont know what kind of plates they use, took them out of the wrapper before he gave them to me. They are Honda plates and fibers though.

Glamis400ex
10-16-2003, 09:55 PM
UPDATE:

Well, here's what I came up with...

If you look at the cable at the case side, there is about 1 and 1/2 inch of thread area in which the bracket is mounted to, with nuts on either side to secure. Going towards the end of the cable where it attaches to the arm, there is a space with no threads and then at the very end there's a little spot of threads where the rubber boot attaches to keep the dust out.

Initially, I had it set at the VERY end of the 1 and 1/2 threaded area and slipped on the boot at the very end.... NOW, I pulled it all the way out the the last tiny bit of threads where the booty attaches and tighened up one nut on that. It seems to be OK now other than I cant attach my bubber booty on there now. I can probably just use a tiny spot on RTV of something to keep it tight to the end and not sliding around.... Does that make sense?

Don'tcha just love jerry-riggin stuff?? :rolleyes:

Glamis

10-17-2003, 06:36 AM
I pulled the little rubber boot up and over the end of the cable,,then used a very small tie wrap around it to hold it. I had to do almost all my adjusting down at the clutch arm.

cals400ex
10-17-2003, 07:52 PM
i am using the stock lever/perch, cable, and basket with the sparks 8 clutch setup.