PDA

View Full Version : likes and dislikes

crazycraz
10-15-2003, 02:31 PM
I see a lot of you have mixed opinions on the new trx450r. My opinion is this: I think honda has built a bike that will stand the test of time and in that time will win a lot of recognition and championships. I think it is a awesome looking machine, and will perform just as good. I may be crossing the line when i say this, but I think the yfz is ugly. Yamaha could of came up with something different as far as the looks of the machine. It looks like a redesigned raptor. If you have any likes or dislikes about the 450r from looking at the specs and pictures, post them here.

04trx450R
10-15-2003, 09:43 PM
I like everything about the 450r's looks,,, I just hope the performance is truely up to par

Sportrax10
10-15-2003, 09:45 PM
I also think the YFZ is ugly. I like the looks of the TRX450r!:macho

Ridin' Red
10-16-2003, 01:07 AM
I can see what people mean when they say at first glance it is a little different but it grows on you. It truly does, I was not so impressed the first time I saw it but I love the looks now. I agree that the Yamaha engineers should have tried changing the looks a little more on the YFZ, you can sure distinguish it as a Yamaha without a second look.

A couple things I was weary about of the new Honda is the carb (only time will tell) and no electric start (nothing you can't live with out) but I was hoping it would have the e-start like the others. I think the YFZ and TRX will both be outstanding quads in their own right and I just wish people would stop bashing senselessly unless they really know what they are talking about. For those that really know the facts, sure but many people on this forum bash over specs and pictures when they should be unbiased of these new quads until there is some hard evidence of the faults of each. Also, give credit where credit is due, that's all I ask.

Ridin' Red

250R
10-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Well, I have a llittle news for you, be glad the Honda does not have electric start. I had the privledge of seeing (and riding) a YFZ in action. Let me start by telling you the thing WILL RUN. I was amazed at how well it ran actually and I am a Honda fanatic, I have had my 88R since it was a year old. But, all we were doing was racing in a 200-300 yard field and after running it for a while and getting it hot it had to be put on the battery charger. This happened more than once throughout the day. I would not want to be on the trail and this happen. If the new Honda runs anyting like the YFZ I will have to have one and retire the R.

rtyfz450
10-16-2003, 08:23 PM
I thought the yfz looked like a bug at first but now I love it. the 450r is good looking in its own way but I am sorry the yfz looks better to me. just my opinion and we all like different things. anyway the battery problem only exists in a few bikes and I have not had a problem. If you go tio the yamaha dealer they will replace it for you and should!!! I am happy with my bike but can't wait to see the 450r in action and race it. God it is a great time to be into quads:D

Woody_YFZ
10-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Just a question on the YFZ you rode that had the battery die. Did it have the cam mod? I haven't had a single problem with my YFZ and it's been ridden hard over the past 3 months. I personally think the Raptor is the best looking quad out there, so I was glad to see the YFZ take a similar look. It reminds me of the terradactyl (sp). I'm looking forward to seeing the new Honda in action, I'll probably end up with one of those too. I really am not too keen on the looks of it though. It looks like a big bubble.

250R
10-17-2003, 07:00 AM
The bike I rode was completely stock, which makes me wonder what it would have been like with pipe,air filter, jetted and cam mod.

dirtriderex
10-17-2003, 07:09 PM
I dislike the no e-start, bad for dead start races, I wish the frame would have been more updated. But enough said we can only wait till the 450r comes out. hang in there fanatics (I'm one of them :D )

crazycraz
10-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
I dislike the no e-start, bad for dead start races, I wish the frame would have been more updated. But enough said we can only wait till the 450r comes out. hang in there fanatics (I'm one of them :D ) Why would honda have to update the frame. No aluminum frame? So what. Would it have been nice? HELL YEAH! You see, I would have to say that honda builds some of the nicest frames if not the best. It looks to me like alot of the 250R and the 400ex is in the frame design. Everybody knows how awesome those two machines are so why would honda have to update thier frame design when they can use an old design that seems like everybody has copied over the years and is still trying to copy? Look at the z400. The whole frame is weak and you would have to buy a reinforcement kit for it. I don't know about any of you, but i'll stick with honda for getting it right the first time.:)

dirtriderex
10-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Good point

rtyfz450
10-19-2003, 04:36 PM
good point but honda hasn't gotten it right the first time every time. the 400ex has a nice frame that has predictable handling and is pretty sturdy but it has its problems. Mine cracked near the engine mounts and I have heard this from many people that I have talked to. The frame doesn't crack in the same place but never the less it cracks. Face it, abuse causes problems. Almost every good racer that uses the stock 400ex frame buys the reinforcment kit for it so same as the z. as for an aluminum frame, I wouldn't want it because of the stiffness and serious vibration. Alot of our friends have cr250s and 450fs and have you ever ridden one? great bikes but if you are not racing it it is kinda ruff and that is the best tech. that honda has.

dirtriderex
10-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Hel* you talkin about. I race my 400 with stock chassis and suspension and I beat the hell out of mine. Man you are just p-off becuase Honda came out and you were too excited to wait and see what they had to offer.

trx400ex
10-19-2003, 08:41 PM
IF you ride hard the stock 400ex frame wont last...I went through three of them, and i had roll design lobo 2 suspension on them

Yamaha frames have held up to me so far, my old banshee and now my yfz never had any problems. Granted i wasnt to hard on the banshee but dont praise honda for something they dont deserve.

I dont like the tank styling of the honda but i imagine it will be a contender with the YFZ with neither one being THAT much better than the other.

dirtriderex
10-20-2003, 09:09 PM
I race harescrambles and flipped it almost every other race. I replace handle bars, 2 steering stems, 100's of tie rods, 1 wheel, a bumper and the list goes on and on. My frame still shines though:macho

rtyfz450
10-20-2003, 09:35 PM
well I did say good racers buy the gussett kits:devil: not one who flips every other race.:blah: j/k.I am not pissed off and we will probably have a 450 in the future. lol I love how the best you have to say to good information is an insult about how I'm not happy when I am very happy with my junky, slow ugly looking blue bike. anything I forgot?:blah:

By the way I am glad that you have not had any problems with your frame. It is good to hear. I am not bashing the honda reliablity I am just saying that nothing is made to be perfect. what I have said is just the experience that I have had.

04trx450R
10-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Well, I am a huge honda fan and have aways praisd there reliability and I have a 450R on the way, but I must say Nothing canbe pefect, just yesterday, I was shocked to see how cheesy a honda frame was,granted it was a trx250 which is not the same quality as the bigger bike, but anyway the kid riding it got a little loose and hit a tree with the right front tire, I t practicaly ripped the lower a-arm right off, itwas broken in two places and the front mount on the frame ripped right off, and he was not goingthat fast,,,,,,,,,, Anyway, I love honda ( justlook at the list of my bikes, all honda), I'm not bashing nothing or no one, just saying, if the frame on y 450 needs to be reinforced I'll do it, as would anyone else,, no stock bike is gonna beperfect

rollie
11-09-2003, 03:45 PM
i like the engine and the back fenders i don't really like the front but that might change if i ride one. haha

buddah
11-09-2003, 10:11 PM
I've owned my share of 250r's (from 310's to a powervalve 350) over the years, but my YFZ is the best quad I've owned period. It handles great and has great power everywhere. I am not brand loyal, but I was considering a new Honda until I seen the specs and did some research. It has less wheel travel than the Yamaha and after reading and talking to some dirt bike riders thay all agreed the YZF was faster. I have a full HMF pipe, K&N filter set up, cam mod, and it rips hard.
At first I didn't like the looks of the new Honda, but it's growing on me. It should have the old Honda reliability as alway's. They will be a good quad for sure and it will come down to the rider on the track.
Will I be buying one, no. I like my Yamaha for now, but I'm alway's looking for that ultimate machine. Maybe an ATK in the near future :rolleyes:

dirtriderex
11-10-2003, 04:38 PM
If you did your research you would realize the 450r engine is totally redesigned from the crf:macho

buddah
11-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Yes, you are correct. :D