PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal about a title for an ATV?

sly400ex
10-15-2003, 09:07 AM
I bought my 250R from someone in Michigan, where they do not require titles. I had my local police station run the VIN to verify it was not stolen. Now I'm trying to sell it and people don't seem to want to buy it because it doesn't have a title. Is there any reason why you would need a title other than proof of purchase?? :confused: :rolleyes:

RiPPiNiTuP7
10-15-2003, 09:17 AM
i know in ohio you can apply for a title if you dont have one, maybe try to see if you an do that. also, i know for here you need the title to register the atv, but besides that it there no "need" for it.

Bretmd94
10-15-2003, 11:01 AM
I cant sell my KX because it doesnt have a title either. Its lame.

AndrewRRR
10-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Probably just because a title proves the bike isn't stolen and makes it easier to get insurance, etc.
I didn't have a title for my CR250 when I sold it (no it wasn't stolen!), but I wrote up a bill of sale which is the next best thing.

wilkin250r
10-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Proof of ownership. Lots of people are leary about buying a stolen quad.

Doibugu2
10-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Sly, can't you get something from the state, or cannot you get it titled?

I would call the SofS and talk to them.

2qk4u
10-15-2003, 01:58 PM
its probably just like a vehicle. you will have to get with the last person who had it titles even if its the original owner and he can file for a lost or new title. its a big pain in the arse. hopefully you will just find someone that doesnt care about the title.

sly400ex
10-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Alright, when's the next H.M. trip, I can bring it with and hopefully meet some of you guys and possibly sell it!:blah: :D

joeroadking
10-15-2003, 02:26 PM
It is all relitive to the stes laws that you live in, in mass you do not need a title only a bill of sale same for nh and maine as well,

sportraxkid
10-15-2003, 02:34 PM
when i bought my 1982 suzuki ts185 I bought it form the original owner buyt he lost the title .So he gave me a bill of sale.And later that day I went to the dmv.And got a duplicate title and all you got to to is have the person you buy it from sign the title.The reason I wanted the title was to liscense it for the street later because its a enduro.but in utah all you need is a bill of sell for a off road liscense.because ive bought lots of 3wheelers with no title's.

JTRtrx250r
10-15-2003, 06:03 PM
a titles is a persons legit ownership papers and ppl feel more secure w/ that,this states a real bi'otch if you dont have 1,ya gotta pay for them to research it..then get on a 3 yr waiting list b4 they issue a title,and if anyone claims it during that time..your azzed out...lame!!!and anywhere around here it has to be licensed...and you cant do that w/o a title, and get a $180 for no sparky and $97 for no tab and $79 for no ORV tag,I wouldnt buy anything thing more than 3-400 w/o a title...and that was when I had the land to ride on:rolleyes: a title can be the diference of a $1000 around these parts:rolleyes:

Atreyu
10-15-2003, 06:08 PM
What should a bill of sale look like? Im trading for a 400 on friday and I need to write up a bill of trade. Should it be formatted like a letter? I know it has to be notorized. Anything else I should know?

JTRtrx250r
10-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
What should a bill of sale look like? Im trading for a 400 on friday and I need to write up a bill of trade. Should it be formatted like a letter? I know it has to be notorized. Anything else I should know? it can be scribbled on a napkin for that matter and also can be signed by friends as a witness,Ive wrote quite a few myself and never had any notorized,could be a state law there...I dunno but never had any problems,just alway put "in as is condition" on it,sign and date it,sometimes to put"'not running condition" will help the guy get it in his name a lil cheaper,
Example....when I bought my R,the we put $400...the lady looked it up in a book and said.."we have here is about $2000 min" so I told her it was in parts and didnt run.....ok so I lied:blah: still was only $40 bucks to get the title in my name and not a few hundo

when you make up the bill of sale...you sign it and have the buyer sign it also,whether its a notory person or your friends as witness's,its probably better to make it look decent and as pro as you want...if you want

redroost85
10-15-2003, 06:52 PM
All I know is that in PA, they are fricking anal about everything here. They dam'nere tax the dirt and what do we have to show for it? A whole lot of schizzy roads...etc.

This is a beautiful state, but the people that run it got their hands in our pockets and their heads up their azzes!:macho

JTRtrx250r
10-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
All I know is that in PA, they are fricking anal about everything here. They dam'nere tax the dirt and what do we have to show for it? A whole lot of schizzy roads...etc.

This is a beautiful state, but the people that run it got their hands in our pockets and their heads up their azzes!:macho You aint alone man haha

brokeitin3
10-15-2003, 08:45 PM
move to ky or wv and you dont have to worry about any of the paper work, here possesion is 9/10 of the law.

Sportrax10
10-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Since you already know its not stolen get a tittle so it sells easier.

hollywood43
10-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
it can be scribbled on a napkin for that matter ...

LOL! Mine is!!:D

CowsBitePeople
10-16-2003, 06:13 AM
i didnt have a title for my dirtbike when i went to sell it they said it would just take 50 off in the end so they can buy one

GoLikeHell
10-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Michigan did not title quads in 1987, they only gave out a registration for them. 88 or 89 they started to title them. Try and apply for a title and see what they say. I know here in Michigan we can apply for one, they check the vin, and if its clean they will issue you one. But since we didnt issue them for that year, good luck!

Mark

AndrewRRR
10-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
I bought my 250R from someone in Michigan, where they do not require titles. I had my local police station run the VIN to verify it was not stolen. Now I'm trying to sell it and people don't seem to want to buy it because it doesn't have a title. Is there any reason why you would need a title other than proof of purchase?? :confused: :rolleyes:

I'll give ya $1000 for it, no title. :D

Red00Honda400EX
10-16-2003, 12:45 PM
I'd prolly give ya 2500 for it if ya wanted to meet me half way. :)