PDA

View Full Version : new to racing

xrracer36
10-15-2003, 08:59 AM
well, not actually new to racing, just new to racing 4 wheelers...
anyways, can anyone give me any tips?
for example. concerning racing a bike, you are to

1) weight forward into turns
2) wait until last possible second to brake, then accelerate (no coasting)
3) always look for new lines
4) keep elbows up and weight outside peg in corners
etc...

in other words, i need to know the fundamentals for mx racing my new 400ex (:D ) compared to my yz400f bike (even if they are the same tips or tricks or different ones)

i also race harescrambles on the 4 wheeler, which i have already done on my mojave fairly successfully IMO, but would like to further hone my skills, so any tips for that type of racing also would be appreciated.

thanks
:macho
racer36

bradley300
10-15-2003, 10:24 AM
try to stay standing up, lean in corners. i'm sure theres more that a better rider can tell you

400exmom
10-15-2003, 10:25 AM
my best advice is dont follow me:D

lshonda310
10-15-2003, 11:21 AM
try not to think as much and do what comes natural

everybody has thier own individual riding style, so some tips might help, but the best way is go do it!

xrracer36
10-15-2003, 12:58 PM
i know the best form of learning is doing, i just wanted to have a place to start.
like i said, on a bike, you shift your weight forward and back a lot for cornering, and that's one major thing i wanted to know. what kind of weight shift is generally accepted as the best method for cornering (forward/back/in/outer peg/etc...?)
i just basically wanna know and be able to recognize and correct any differences i would have in my bike riding background and learning to do it on the new 4 wheeler.
as far as i know, most methods are the same as a bike, but any tips help. besides, i wanna make sure i don't do anything stupid concerning weight transfers that will result in a roll over or anything. the bike will high-side or wash out, the quad on the other hand will break traction too much and over rotate, or too little and catch traction and roll.:huh

besides, since my concussion, i have not been allowed to ride, so i figure that there's no better time to do my homework for next season, that is if i plan on being a threat on the quad next season.:macho :devil:

4TraxRider
10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
I've found a few things that have helped me over the past few years. In just about every turn, i think about touching (or at least trying) to touch my butt to the nerf bar. If your riding as hard as you can, you'll have to anyway to keep from flipping over. Another thing I've found is that a lot of people are afraid to use brakes. They think they're slow if they don't. If your not on teh brakes your not going fast enough. The last thing is that I have found I like to move around when in the air. I always tap the brakes, or whip it a little, or turn the bars or somthing. It keeps me ready and able to get on the gas. And when you land, have the gas on already, the guys who land and then give it gas give up a fraction of a second compared to the guy who lands with the gas on. Oh yeah, last thing, it always hurts more to come up short, as you probably already know from your bike. just go for it.:devil:

sparky450AR
10-15-2003, 09:35 PM
There isn't really a lot of forward or back leaning instead of going up and down hills. Most of the control is in the throttle. If your riding hard you will stand up, ussualy. Powersliding will come easy and natural to you, it always does. Also it is even more important on a quad to pick new lines than it s a bike, due to ground clearance problems. Always take the highline. Also just like a bike, brake at the last second, it is common since that you will always get the best times, when you have speed for longer amounts of time. The guys that have switched from bikes to quads before, will be the ones that will be able to tell you the most. It kinda comes natural to me and a lot of others on here, because it is all we have ever known. We do things we dont even know we are doing. Most of all, practice makes perfect.

GOOD LUCK:)