PDA

View Full Version : drop-in vs. non drop-in cams

cals400ex
10-15-2003, 08:49 AM
i just wanted to know how bikes perform with drop in cams vs non drop in cams. i know you need rockers with the non drop-in cams, but how much of a difference do they really make? i have a bike with a stage 2 cam and have rode bikes with a stage 1 so i know how these perform. the only thing i really want is more top speed. thanks

YZROOSTINYA
10-15-2003, 10:46 AM
gearing is the only thing that will change your top speed

UglyMotha™
10-15-2003, 10:52 AM
cam really doesn't change your top speed any somtimes you will gain a mile or two faster because your bike is breathing better and can rev out a little more but for the most part you would have to change your gearing in order to change your top speed a non-drop in cam is goin to be more aggressive then a drop in hence needing hardend rockers and stiffer springs only thing different cams change is the curve of your powerband and depending on where you want your power to come on the most is where you would select what cam you want

nacs400ex
10-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
cam really doesn't change your top speed any somtimes you will gain a mile or two faster because your bike is breathing better and can rev out a little more but for the most part you would have to change your gearing in order to change your top speed a non-drop in cam is goin to be more aggressive then a drop in hence needing hardend rockers and stiffer springs only thing different cams change is the curve of your powerband and depending on where you want your power to come on the most is where you would select what cam you want