PDA

View Full Version : 416 Questions

spliffy
10-15-2003, 08:36 AM
My buddy wants to do a 416 in his 400ex, the questions that he has is that if he doesn't want to harden the rockers & all that stuff, what hotcam does he want to go with a stage 1 or 2? Also with the .080 piston will a stock cometic gasket kit work or do they offer a bigger gasket kit for the bigger bore? He wants to get a bigger carb also, what is the best bang for the buck? I told him carbs are spendy but they can make a huge difference is that true, I know it was on my 250R. Thanks.

cals400ex
10-15-2003, 08:57 AM
i think the stage 2 hotcam is about the most aggressive drop in cam made. the stage 2 will rev a little higher, but you need to keep the rpm's up in order to have the power. the stage 1 bikes i rode give better instant torque if the rpm's are not up. for a drag race, i wouldn't consider the stage 1. for trails or woods, i don't know if i would use stage 2. many people use the stock gaskets with their 416's. others say you are suppose to use a gasket for the 416. i am not sure what you need. when i ordered mine, i ordered a cam, piston, and gaskets at the same time so they sent me what i needed. actually, i only have a 406 and i think you are only suppose to use the stock size gaskets with that bore, but you are suppose to increase when you go up to a 416. i am not positive but that is just a guess. i hear the fcr carbs are the best but they are not cheap. if it was me, i would do one of the following:
1 use your stock rejetted carb
2 send your carb in to be bored out and then rejet it for around $125 to $175
3 buy the best, the fcr

i would not buy another carb for a little cheaper than the fcr. i would get the best i could if i was putting out the money for a new carb.