PDA

View Full Version : Which exhaust? Curtis Sparks X-6 or LRD Pro Series 4?

Honda400exadic
10-15-2003, 04:42 AM
Out of the Sparks X-6 and the LRD..which are my best HP gains ? And which exhaust is louder and has a better sound to it? I have heard the LRD..but not the Sparks...

cals400ex
10-15-2003, 08:20 AM
i have the x-6 and i like the pipe. this pipe seems to have a deeper tone than some others. i think it has something to do with the way the tip faces down. this will echo off of the ground. i like the sound and i get many people saying how they like the sound. no complaints yet. i have not heard the new lrd yet. most people i talk to seem to think the x-6 will work best with a built motor. i don't know how the lrd works with a built motor. lrd and sparks were my two choices when i bought mine this last summer. more people on here thought the x-6 would give more power. however, i would love to try the lrd to see how it works. i think jetting will be enough to make a bike quicker from one pipe to another. the sparks installed easily. it actually went on easier than my factory one came off. i have heard the lrd is tougher to install and the headpipe sits awful close to the head. the decision is yours.

TT 400ex
10-15-2003, 11:04 AM
sparks all the way

nacs400ex
10-15-2003, 02:13 PM
LRD

Colby@C&DRacing
10-15-2003, 02:16 PM
That is a hard choice I like the gains of both pipes. Both are high quality. But I do sell more of the Sparks pipes if that tells you anything:)

remlapr
10-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Colby - are they both mainly top end pipes? Have you had any people have quality problems with the sparks?

10-15-2003, 03:11 PM
i have an x-6 sparks...owns...raced my friend with an lrd in a drag...owned him...that was when we both had filter jets and pipe...so...sparks all the way...gotta love em

Giz400ex
10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
I've had both the x-6 and the Pro-4 and and the LRD performed alot better than the x-6. Both pipes seem to have the same top-end but low end the LRD out pulls the x-6. I went from the LRD (old style) to the x-6 and it felt like I lost low end so I switched back to LRD and bought there Pro-4. Friends of mine couldn't believe the difference between the 2.

10-15-2003, 09:45 PM
maybe on a stock bike :confused: ...x-6 is built for a big bore motor...not for a stock motor...the x-4 is more designed for the stock bore and comrpession...etc...ive road lrd and sparks x-6 and i like the x-6 tons more then the lrd...plus i have dragged 400s with them...they sound kinda like the sparks pipe...but seeing i beat them...either they suck at riding...or the lrd pipe doesnt perform up the sparks standard...sparks isnt the #1 engine builder for nothing ;)

JD400exrider
10-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
maybe on a stock bike :confused: ...x-6 is built for a big bore motor...not for a stock motor...the x-4 is more designed for the stock bore and comrpession...etc...ive road lrd and sparks x-6 and i like the x-6 tons more then the lrd...plus i have dragged 400s with them...they sound kinda like the sparks pipe...but seeing i beat them...either they suck at riding...or the lrd pipe doesnt perform up the sparks standard...sparks isnt the #1 engine builder for nothing ;)

I would aggree the X6 is more designed for a built motor. But just because you beat a 400 with a LRD pipe once or twice does not mean chit about what pipe is better than the other. There allot of other things to consider when you drag race someone. Gearing, size of tires, how good is the rider, Weight difference between the two riders and one of the biggest is traction. Sorry xx honda racer. Not flaming or actually I am. :blah:

At least giz400 has tried both and can give a good comparison.
I personally have not run either one. My HRC pipe is built from a guy that has built pipes for 20+ years for a few different major companies and sonme top riders in MX and his pipes rank right up there on the dyno chart with the best of them. I would say you likley cannot go wrong with either an LRD or a Sparks pipe.

I would say LRD is no second rate company.

10-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I would aggree the X6 is more designed for a built motor. But just because you beat a 400 with a LRD pipe once or twice does not mean chit about what pipe is better than the other. There allot of other things to consider when you drag race someone. Gearing, size of tires, how good is the rider, Weight difference between the two riders and one of the biggest is traction. Sorry xx honda racer. Not flaming or actually I am. :blah:

gearing was same...stock tires...both good riders...weight diff is maybe 10-20 pounds....both run paddles...and i road the lrd piped bike along with my sparks piped bike...personally...i cant tell if there is even a small tad of difference...i would like to run them both on a built motor and c how they perform...my bike is pretty modded...but i dont have another bike modded same as mine with an lrd...so...that is good info for someone just wanting a pipe...there is hardly any difference...but in a drag i can beat it...but it would have helped if i dragged him on his bike and him on mine...just to c...too late now...plus...no one rides my bike but me :D :devil:

Giz400ex
10-16-2003, 03:52 PM
My 400 is not stock, and I drag alot of 250r's and I beat'em worse with the LRD. :D

lilmxe#43
10-16-2003, 04:00 PM
i own the lrd 440 pipe with my 416 and everyone tells me that my bike pulls harder than theres, they have the exact same set up. i have even riden their bikes, it seems a little deeper in tone but not that much. i have raced people on their bikes and them on mine and mine stil pulls away just a little, thanks

10-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Hetrick :eek: :eek:

jasoncarr25
10-16-2003, 05:36 PM
duncan racing fat boy 4

EvilJester400EX
10-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Sparks, LRD, or Hetrick, you can't go wrong with either of the three.

ATVer14
10-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Thats like trying to decide between getting the best or the best. Either way, you're getting a great pipe, and you will probably be happy no matter what. BUT, I personally recommend the Sparks, because I run it.:D

muff
10-17-2003, 05:08 AM
when I called and talked to FDO he told me my LRD is a POS, that it wouldn't be helping my power at all, and that a GT Thunder or the x-6 would give me the most power for a built motor

Giz400ex
10-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by muff
when I called and talked to FDO he told me my LRD is a POS, that it wouldn't be helping my power at all, and that a GT Thunder or the x-6 would give me the most power for a built motor Did you have the old style LRD? and does FDO sell the LRD or do they just sell the CS and the GT?

muff
10-17-2003, 08:29 PM
I have the newer of the older styles (black can)

I'm not sure what fdo sells