PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Wheels ad

Diedrich
10-14-2003, 09:55 PM
what do yall think about that ad in dirt wheels for the motorcycle/quad repair classes..the at home ones..you think they would be worth looking into..im just tryin to leard all i can

chucked
10-14-2003, 10:06 PM
i was lookin at those to. If its a decent program I may give it a try.

10-14-2003, 10:11 PM
in my opinion, you need hands on training along with reading...

Diedrich
10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
yeah see i work on quads all the time buy i wanna know all i can..so i thought they might be worth it

FourFiftyFour
10-14-2003, 11:22 PM
might be a helpful program if u want to work on quads a bit at home.. i was thinking of looking into it.. but then again hands on training is always best

VIC
10-14-2003, 11:27 PM
I was thinking of trying a community college later on. They have classes on motorcycle/small engines.

Ballistic Atv
10-15-2003, 10:09 AM
Hey,
Are you talking about the education direct program?
I took that exact same course last year, completed it in under 7 months. It was WELL worth the money paid, the instruction is excellent, and you get over 500 dollars worth of tools at the end of the program which is nice. Even after you finish the course you will always have the books tohave for future reference. The diagrams in the books are excellently drawn and very easy to understand. I already had a good base knowledge of engines and everything, but I still learned alot from this course. I would definately recommend it!:D

wilkin250r
10-15-2003, 10:23 AM
A course like that can work IF you also have a motorcycle at home to get the hands-on experience that you need. It certainly can't be any worse than tying to do repairs from the manual, right?

atl855
10-15-2003, 10:27 AM
how much is it for the program?

AndrewRRR
10-15-2003, 11:33 AM
A friend of mine did the program. It's not bad for the money but it really helps if you have bikes nearby to actually work on. The books seem good and explain things well.
If you are really serious, you can't beat MMI. That's a whole different price category though!

JUSTINcredible
10-15-2003, 02:15 PM
if you did this education direct thing would it actualy be possible to get a job working on these kinds of motors and stuff or would you be better off goin to a tech school??

10-15-2003, 04:46 PM
can you guys find an ad for me in the new dirt wheels?| it is near tjhe back & it says they are selling ITP tires for really cheap. like tire deopt or something? :rolleyes: thansk for the help :blah:

Ballistic Atv
10-15-2003, 09:34 PM
I ended up only paying $550 dollars for the course with rebates and such, and yes, I bought a honda 250r engine to practice doing repairs on and a xr 100 engine.
The books goes sooo much more in detail than a repair manual or clymers manual. After you finish the course you get a diploma so technically that would make you more qualified to work at a dealership doing repairs. I was going to work at the local honda dealer but I am too young. The repair manager said that if I was older he would have hired me, so I would say the course is good because I learned most of my engine knowledge from it.

10-15-2003, 09:38 PM
how old are you?

dbsbl1
10-15-2003, 10:15 PM
Hmmm...I had thought about doing this too after I get out of school but was unsure about whether or not it'd be worth the money.

10-16-2003, 05:31 AM
yah, i heard those mechanics there get paid like minimum wage or something..:rolleyes:

Ballistic Atv
10-16-2003, 11:05 AM
I am 15 years old.
The mechanics actually make some good money at a motorcycle dealership, at the place I tried to get a job at they paid $20 an hour starting wage.

AndrewRRR
10-16-2003, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure if they'd hire somone with one of those degrees or not. It probably depends on the dealership. I know at our dealership (trucks) most of the mechanics went to UTI, or a similar trade school.
Chances are they'll hire you as an apprentice, see how you do, then if they like you they'd send you to a place like MMI if you need it (a lot of the people going there are on scholarships from their dealerships).
So if the course is $500 and you want to work on quads for a living, go for it! What else would $500 buy you? $35 short of a set of fullbore plastics? bah!