PDA

View Full Version : proper break in procedure

ny300exrider
10-14-2003, 07:25 PM
i know this topic has been beaten to death but i cant find any posts on it. i am going to be buying a brand new 03 400ex hopefully this weekend and i would like to break it in correctly. i know everyone does their different ways but can you please tell me how you did it and how it worked. i will of course buy a manual and everything but sometimes people say the manual is all wrong.if theres already a long post on this im sorry, could you find me the link? thanks alot all posts are appreciated

Eric

jasoncarr25
10-14-2003, 07:31 PM
when i bought my 400 new i was rough on it,never any probs. im now putting in a 440 kit and i think im gonna be a little easier on it just cause its alot more motor.

UglyMotha™
10-14-2003, 07:38 PM
just get on the mofo and ride it, don't beat on and don't baby it just ride the sucker

Sprttrx400ex
10-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Its best not to ride at a constant speed. Vary your rpms.
DO NOT ride it topped out.
Dont rev real high
always take your time shifting
It will say in your manual when you buy it what the best way is.

skemp
10-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Take this as you like, but I break them in as if I was riding them normally, which is pretty damn hard. I am just telling you that for me, it works. It isn't like something is going to break if you ride it hard (granted the machine is warmed up) any more than it normally would be prone to do so and you get a better ring seal. Just my method though, few others agree because the all-knowing dealers say not to. :rolleyes: :)

swamprider7
10-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by skemp
Take this as you like, but I break them in as if I was riding them normally, which is pretty damn hard. I am just telling you that for me, it works. It isn't like something is going to break if you ride it hard (granted the machine is warmed up) any more than it normally would be prone to do so and you get a better ring seal. Just my method though, few others agree because the all-knowing dealers say not to. :rolleyes: :)

^^^What he said:) ^^^

ewalker302
10-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Do a search for

break procedure

U will find posts w/lots of replys

My .02 -- there is a reason for a proper break in.

:bandit:

cals400ex
10-15-2003, 08:24 AM
my opinion:

ride the bike somewhat hard after it is initially warmed up. don't go and floor the heck out of it but keep the rpm's up a little and go through every gear. don't lug it. don't let the bike sit there and idle. good luck

BBW
10-15-2003, 05:40 PM
It really depends on how long you want this to last. With todays technology (unless you start it cold and run it wide open) it's hard to screw it up. What I've consistently heard and read (some of which has already been said) is to let it warm up, ride it for 20 minutes or so varying rpm's, and let it cool COMPLETELY. Repeat this 2 more times before you real lay the coal to it. This is the key to longevity. If you plan on rebuilding it every so often hop on cold and haul a--! It will probably run great for who knows how long. In case your wondering, the owner manual says to vary rpm's for the first 15 miles.

bmw500hp
10-15-2003, 09:32 PM
did you recieve my e-mail containing the Duncan break in proceedure?

jasoncarr25
10-16-2003, 02:07 PM
will you email me that please..

hondapunk
10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
I just got a 330 put in and im still not sure how to wear it in. I've looked around a bit and most places say to to take it up in steps like 3/4 throttle then 1/2 throttle. I always thought to run it in easy. I ran across this on motojoe and now i think im gonna run it hard. Check it out tell me what you guys think. Heres a link MotoJoe Break in (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

hondapunk
10-16-2003, 03:55 PM
I just got a 330 put in and im still not sure how to wear it in. I've looked around a bit and most places say to to take it up in steps like 3/4 throttle then 1/2 throttle. I always thought to run it in easy. I ran across this on motojoe and now i think im gonna run it hard. Check it out tell me what you guys think.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take note that this link for the break in method is for a FOUR STROKE not 2. Something i left out before.

bmw500hp
10-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jasoncarr25
will you email me that please..

Jason, if you want me to e-mail the Duncan Break in Proceedure I need your e-mail. You can send me a message to joesflies@aol Please put (break in proceedure) in the subject.

So your a bullrider, thats about as cool as it gets!

mike :D