PDA

View Full Version : e-brake adjustment

K2Snow
10-14-2003, 05:22 PM
how do I adjust my e-brake? I don't have tie downs and I need the ebrake to keep my quad from rolling around in the back of my truck. when i put the brake on, it simply doesn't hold the quad in place. how do i adjust this?

10-14-2003, 06:41 PM
first thing you need to do is take that piece of crap off immdeiately, all it does is wear your pads down fast...then get a block off which are very cheap. when you put your 4 wheeler in the back of your truck put it in 1st gear, it will not roll forward or backwards. this is the best parking break you can have. The only reason the parking breaks are on all ATV's put out are for liability I think. :rolleyes:

dannyboy20
10-14-2003, 07:37 PM
How do you take that thing off ?

JOEX
10-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by dannyboy20
How do you take that thing off ?
First, order the block off plate. Don't pay pay more than $10+s/h unless you're into the foo foo stuff.

When it arrives remove the two bolts on the caliper that hold the stock parking brake on.

Unhook the cable from the lever on the bars and pull it out from the rear.

Install the shiney new block off plate.

I had to grind a bit off of the shaft that sticks out of the caliper to get the James Lucky plate to fit.

Joe

10-14-2003, 09:27 PM
easiest & cheapest mod. you can do....it was actually my first mod too on my 400ex. ;)

300exOH
10-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Yeah I'd do the ebrake block off. It's really easy to do. I would recvommend using tie down straps to hold the quad in place. It isn't good for the gears to have it in 1st gear while bouncing in the back of a truck. Also I saw a fiarly minor collision where the guy hit someone and his new decked out out Raptor went flying out and was basically totalled. Better safe than sorry!

4wheelboy
10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
dude get some tie downs my firends quad rolled out of the bed when his tailgate fell down:(

10-15-2003, 08:42 PM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: i use one tie down on the front bumper but thats just so it wont actually fall out of truck...other than that it doesnt move cause it is in 1st gear

K2Snow
10-15-2003, 10:48 PM
what does this "block off" do? more help with installing it? i'm gonna check out my bike tomorrow to se if i udnerstand better when actually looking at the machine, thanks for all input so far

K2Snow
10-15-2003, 10:56 PM
ohhh, block off plate is only to cover space where parking brake was removed from? i was under the impression that it worked as a better parking brake. i don't know if i trust using the latches on my truck for tie doewns, but i suppose i'll try it.

hondarider2006
10-15-2003, 11:32 PM
you should also get an ez-pull clutch & perch if you are going to remove your e-brake. Much nicer than the stock clutch. I have one, and I will never go back. There are many differnt styles, I got mine from www.magicracing.com for around $50 I think. It was the best one they had, or most expenisive anyways:devil:

310Rduner
10-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
ohhh, block off plate is only to cover space where parking brake was removed from? i was under the impression that it worked as a better parking brake. i don't know if i trust using the latches on my truck for tie doewns, but i suppose i'll try it.

No, it is a complete removal of the parking brake.

Walsh racing has this small velcro accessory they sell that wraps around the front brake lever and grip to keep the bike from rolling, and the brakes applied.

I would do the parking brake block off, scrap the parking brake and either buy that, or make one of your one.

K2Snow
10-16-2003, 04:57 PM
ok, can someone further explain parking brake removal and block installation? i adjusted the brake today to atleast work for this weekend's trip, i'll do the parking brake removal next week. also, how close is the brake pad supposed to be to the disc? my rear brake pad is so close it actually sounds like it may be rubbing the tiniest bit, it that ok?

AtvMxRider
10-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
ok, can someone further explain parking brake removal and block installation? i adjusted the brake today to atleast work for this weekend's trip, i'll do the parking brake removal next week. also, how close is the brake pad supposed to be to the disc? my rear brake pad is so close it actually sounds like it may be rubbing the tiniest bit, it that ok?

It's actually pretty easy to do. just remove the 2 bolts that hold the parking brake assy. on the rear caliper. then install the new block off plate. remove the parking brake cable from the clutch lever. You can use your stock perch and lever but it's best to get a new lever. I bought a cr lever and perch and I think I paid less tha $15 for them both. Next just fish the cable out of the frame. there is a couple clamps you will have to remove but it's pretty easy. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm:) .

AtvMxRider
10-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
. when you put your 4 wheeler in the back of your truck put it in 1st gear, it will not roll forward or backwards. this is the best parking break you can have.

Actually that is the worst thing to do. It's alot cheaper to buy a tie down than it is to split the cases and replace the busted transmission gears you ****ed up....:huh

310Rduner
10-16-2003, 09:33 PM
http://www.walshracecraft.com/accessories/frontbrake.htm

This is what you want cody, take off the e-brake, buy the block off, and then buy ^ ^. It's only 5 bucks, and will work better than the e-brake for keeping the bike in place.

K2Snow
10-16-2003, 11:14 PM
brandon, i could make one of those... that's a good idea. what about removing rear brake, i am still confused, mechanically disinclined!

310Rduner
10-17-2003, 04:54 PM
All that is really involved is taking the parking brake part off near the rear brake, and then you undo the clamps and such that keep the cable in place. And then finally take the cable off the front perch.

racerx573
10-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Dont leave your quad in gear unless you must, it puts stress on the tranny. If you can't afford tie downs go to Home Dept or Lowe's and buy like 30 feet of rope. Tie it down with that. Don't waste your Money on the Walsh thing , because it's the easiest thing to make. I don't use parking brakes or put my bike in gear. I tie it down from 4 points, each close to the wheel at the lowest point. If you tie your quad down so tight from pounts above the lower shock mount it will put avoidable wear on your suspension. It's a simple invest and insurance policy to make sure your quads tied down securely going to and from track or trail.