View Full Version : I'm ready for winter -

Live2Ride300
10-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Check out my ice tires -

http://www.rriders.com/trx250r_forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1971

:devil: :muscle:

skemp
10-14-2003, 07:09 PM
That is a good idea, but some who have tried it have said that the studs will fold over under pressure since they are so long, which over time can crack the rubber and eventually cause the stud to pull out. I haven't personally tried it, so I couldn't say for sure. Just give it a try and see how it works. With my winter setup, it can be difficult to break the tires loose. I will eventually put some pictures up here.

Live2Ride300
10-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Im not done yet, I still have to put the back plates on the studs, Im thinking about using the double back plates, since it will be more surface area on the tire, making it stronger. You put the back plates on the outside and scew them onto the stud, hopefully that will hold them secure, we'll see... lol

redrider69
10-14-2003, 07:41 PM
u ever think about if u do sumthin stupid and wreck and like it rolls on u and the tires roll on you that would blow big time but i dont get enough snow to have those things so good luck wit them

Live2Ride300
10-14-2003, 07:57 PM
lol, hopefully I wont have to worry about that lol:eek2:

skemp
10-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Oh I know all about studs, I have installed thousands of them into snowmobile tracks. ;)
They should stay put fairly well, but I am skeptical about the actual traction advantages. Guess you will just have to see for yourself. :)

SpeedBump
10-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey, I planned on the snowmobile ones too, but ended up using 1/4" bolts/nuts. This is after a 6 mile ride up the road (headlight blew out at 2am FAR FROM home, and had the wife on with me, so HAD to run the road, ya know) Anyway. These things were absolutely wicked. 6 inches of snow, and couldn't blow a dounut. They would dig thru and into the dirt instantly. Wheelies on solid ice, NO prob. I did find that I shoulda staggered the bolts, they are in too straight of a line. Still worked, but woulda got better results with them staggered. Running with them on, actually took away some of the fun of winter riding. You actually could run the same as in the dry. (I had the fronts done up with screws too) if a guy were to make a set of these with say a near new radial, or even a nice tall 22" tire, they would be even better. I may do it, but wow.....144 bolts, nylon lockin nutz and washers really add up. hate to spend that much again, not to mention, also rendering a set of tires only useable 3 months a year. :devil: BTW sorry they are dirty in this pic. :D

http://members.toast.net/rhueladams/craig/winters.jpg

Live2Ride300
10-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Hopefully I'll get good traction, if not then I could scew some regular studs in there along with the sled studs. We'll see what happens.

Live2Ride300
10-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Those look awesome. What did you use on the inside? I was gonna put a layer of rug in mine. Thanx for the info man

Math
10-15-2003, 10:48 AM
here in Quebec we have winter trail so I do a LOT of winter riding and for the snow, Othsu Prowedge II and Maxxis 4-snow are realy the best:muscle: put bolts in your tire is only good for ice or very compact surface. I know what I talk about:D

Live2Ride300
10-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Ya, I want to get some of those maxxis 4-snow tires. Where can I get them? I havent seen them around too much. Thanx for the info!

Math
10-15-2003, 08:14 PM
I saw a lots of 4-snow this winter and I have the Pro wedge. It look like the Prowedge grip a little bit more than the 4-snow but the Maxxis wear slower than the Othsu:grr:

hondarider2006
10-15-2003, 11:56 PM
I was just going to take some short roofing screws and screw them into my lugs. My neighbor did this and said it worked good, anyone else tried? if so how did it work?

hondarider2006
10-16-2003, 12:06 AM
them tires could make one of the tv commercials that say "got grip?":D