PDA

View Full Version : Protect thy engine

BBW
10-14-2003, 09:33 AM
I’m new to this site and find it very informational. While I would like to think I have one of the hottest stock 400’s, well almost stock (white bros E series silencer/air filter and a 150 jet) I am always looking for inexpensive ways to improve the performance. I would like to comment on a couple things. There are several questions about the airbox; cover on, cover off, vents, etc etc. Doing these things will improve performance but the most important thing about these seems to have been lost and that is protecting the engine. Your machine may go like a bat out of H--- but for how long. If you take the cover off or are drilling holes you better be adding a prefilter of some sort ESPECIALLY if your riding in the sand.
The other thing that seems to be a popular topic is pipes. When available I like to look at facts. When deciding on a pipe I found an exhaust shootout in Dirt Wheels Mag http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=181
This also gives some valuable info on the question of silencer or entire system.
It was based on this that I bought the White bros E series and I am estatic with the results. It also comes with a matched air filter.
I raced a Predator this weekend at the Oregon Dunes, “The Wall”, and beat him. Yes, the guy did have about 80 pounds on me but I really thought I would get smoked.
I’m beginning to have second thoughts about the 150 jet based on what I’m reading here. It sounds like maybe I should have gone with something a little bigger?

JOEX
10-14-2003, 09:43 AM
Welcome the site, another left coaster!:D

I agree about the prefilter, it should be mandatory. With a proper installed and maintained filter I think it would be very difficult for sand to get into the motor. Dust on the other hand is a different story.

I'm thinking the guy on the Predator may have less riding ability than you if you're smoking him. JMO:)

The 150 'should' be fine but if you're doing most riding at sea level a 152 or 155 might be a better choice.

I, too have the E-series and K&N filter. I bought mine used and it had a 150 in it.

Joe

bmw500hp
10-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by BBW
I’m new to this site and find it very informational. While I would like to think I have one of the hottest stock 400’s, well almost stock (white bros E series silencer/air filter and a 150 jet) I am always looking for inexpensive ways to improve the performance. I would like to comment on a couple things. There are several questions about the airbox; cover on, cover off, vents, etc etc. Doing these things will improve performance but the most important thing about these seems to have been lost and that is protecting the engine. Your machine may go like a bat out of H--- but for how long. If you take the cover off or are drilling holes you better be adding a prefilter of some sort ESPECIALLY if your riding in the sand.
The other thing that seems to be a popular topic is pipes. When available I like to look at facts. When deciding on a pipe I found an exhaust shootout in Dirt Wheels Mag http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=181
This also gives some valuable info on the question of silencer or entire system.
It was based on this that I bought the White bros E series and I am estatic with the results. It also comes with a matched air filter.
I raced a Predator this weekend at the Oregon Dunes, “The Wall”, and beat him. Yes, the guy did have about 80 pounds on me but I really thought I would get smoked.
I’m beginning to have second thoughts about the 150 jet based on what I’m reading here. It sounds like maybe I should have gone with something a little bigger?

Welcome to the site BBW! After hearing of a friends filter failing and ruining a freshly built motor I have been second guessing my system as well.

I saw this lid mod by EHS racing that seemed to be a better alternative to holes or No lid at all, but i can't seem to locate it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Looking forward to more of your input.

SLB400EX
10-14-2003, 11:54 AM
http://www.ehsracing.com

^ that one bmw500hp??

86atc250r
10-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Those lids are OK if you don't ride in any wet or muddy terrain - however, even though covered with an outerwears, they still offer direct exposure to the filter by mud and water.

The best thing to do if you are going to hack up your airbox lid is to make a hole behind the filter and put some sort of tube in is as to make any water/mud avoid the filter.

2003EXRIDER
10-14-2003, 12:44 PM
BBW i'm glad you like your W/B i have one on the way for mine. i'm goin with a 155main and a 42pilot. i can't wait till it gets here. hopefully it will be here by the weekend. i hope i'm as happy with it as you are.