PDA

View Full Version : What to Upgrade first??!!

Uber133t86
10-14-2003, 08:50 AM
I just orderd a Honda 400ex and picking it up this Friday or sometime next week and I'm trying to get some input on what order to upgrade stuff on it, Exhuast, Bumpers, DG?? i dunno, i will be racing it for fun in the summer time and then in the winter on ice with stud/ no studs!

I heard DG accessories is heavy for racing, what do you think

So someone give me some input on what to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc...

Or what you have upgraded on yours!

300exOH
10-14-2003, 08:58 AM
1. suspension- nothing will make you faster than good shocks/a arms/axle

2.exhaust- most power for the dollar

3.nerfs- I would avoid DG at all costs. My DG nerfs suck! AC is much better for the $

300exOH
10-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Enjoy your newest addiction! and welcome to the site!

MOFO
10-14-2003, 09:02 AM
I think 300exOH summed it up pretty good. Those are the steps I would take if I had to do it all over again.

I would also do small things like handle bars, remove e-brake, add block off plate on rear caliper, new clutch and perch. Also if you want to race, be sure to get a kill switch.

atl855
10-14-2003, 09:06 AM
i recomend a pro designs kill switch first then nerfs i love my ac racing pro pegs do a parking break delete and a cr 250r clutch lever and pearch

Uber133t86
10-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Ya definitely a kill switch, where is a good web site for AC stuff, like nerfs, bumbers, skids, accessories??

why take off the E-Brake???

The clutch lever makes a difference??!!

zephead400ex
10-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the site man!

Suspension first is the smart way to go, especially since you are going to race, thats what I should have done first:D! DG products are ok, but there are much better manufactures that have better products at reasonable prices. Stay around the site and you will see what everyone here runs and recommends!

again, welcome to the site

peace:

Uber133t86
10-14-2003, 09:15 AM
ok, right now im in school, ill try to get access to a comp asap to check this, but ya, what would i do to my machine to lower for ice racing, Smaller shocks, what about fox racing shocks?

MOFO
10-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Uber133t86
Ya definitely a kill switch, where is a good web site for AC stuff, like nerfs, bumbers, skids, accessories??

why take off the E-Brake???

The clutch lever makes a difference??!!

The ebrake is just more crap to go wrong basically. It is known that the ebrake can cause your rear pads to wear out fast...its alos a PITA to keep adjusted.

You will need a new clutch lever and perch when you removed the ebrake parts...when you get the quad, you'll see the stock perch is loaded up with crap for the e-brake.

FourFiftyFour
10-14-2003, 09:30 AM
I would get a tether killswitch and nerf bars first... one of my younger friends I ride with on my circuit was stupidly riding a 300ex out on the track (clearing triples and large jumps with it) with no nerf bars.... and he ended up gettin his leg broke, me and my friend Travis had to get his leg out of the axle and sprocket...while he was screaming bloody murder... very hard when you have to do that while a good friend is screamin and in so much pain... so definitely get that stuff first.. then get axle, a arms and shocks.....
YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE MOTOR MODS IN THE WORLD BUT IF THE QUAD CANT HANDLE, THEN WHATS THE USE OF SPEED WHEN IT CANT HANDLE THE SPEED?
I see several ppl go out and get big bore kits for their quad.. and then they still go the same speed out on the track.. why? their quad is stock and cant handle the track..
Good luck with your quad.. we will want to see pics of it :)

dpizz450
10-14-2003, 10:00 AM
i definatly recommend AC bumper and nerfs.....i didnt like my DG stuff.....for a pipe i would recommend white brothers or T-4 pro circuit they are both pretty good pipes and get some renthal handlebars!!!! and some new tires ;)

atl855
10-14-2003, 10:17 AM
look at the duncan racing bumper, it is wider than most and it is shorter too, i would recomend getting a wide grab bar, with no reverse on the 400ex i find my self pullind and toughind when i am moving it in the woods when i race

Uber133t86
10-14-2003, 10:31 AM
ahh ok thanx for the info, where is the AC website?/

atl855
10-14-2003, 10:34 AM
ac racing (http://acracing.com/site/intro.cfm)

250rquadracer
10-14-2003, 01:23 PM
i deffiently recommend ac ....dg sucks they look like **** and they are **** i would go with ac pro pegs.....got to

moto-man.com
they sell ac stuff and acracing.com

hondafox440
10-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
I would get a tether killswitch and nerf bars first... one of my younger friends I ride with on my circuit was stupidly riding a 300ex out on the track (clearing triples and large jumps with it) with no nerf bars.... and he ended up gettin his leg broke, me and my friend Travis had to get his leg out of the axle and sprocket...while he was screaming bloody murder... very hard when you have to do that while a good friend is screamin and in so much pain... so definitely get that stuff first.. then get axle, a arms and shocks.....
YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE MOTOR MODS IN THE WORLD BUT IF THE QUAD CANT HANDLE, THEN WHATS THE USE OF SPEED WHEN IT CANT HANDLE THE SPEED?
I see several ppl go out and get big bore kits for their quad.. and then they still go the same speed out on the track.. why? their quad is stock and cant handle the track..
Good luck with your quad.. we will want to see pics of it :)

I think you summed it up pretty well. Your time and money is better spent learning to RIDE the quad, then bolting stuff on to it. That seems to be a common misconception with quad riders.. =/

Uber133t86
10-16-2003, 07:41 AM
Ahh crap, we went to go order the 400ex for sure yesturday, and since i will be 18 in may, im not eligable by me self, so ill have to have my mom co-sign on the loan, but she cant cause she has too many loans out right now :( so this sucks monkey balls lol.

Is there really a difference in the 01' model then the 04' model. Because my freinds has a honda 400ex 2001 and he is selling it to buy the Yamaha YFX450

Honda 400ex 2001 that has; $3,500??
~White Bros. Nerf Bars
~White Bros. Front Bumper
~White Bros. T4 Exhaust
~High Compression pistion 11:1 ratio
~Stock tires in front and Holeshot tires in back

Or.... Get a New One??? $5,100??

300exOH
10-16-2003, 07:57 AM
I think there may be a larger carb on the '04 not sure though. I'd save yourself the cash and buy the '01. You can always get a bigger carb later and for much less than a new quad.

Uber133t86
10-16-2003, 10:49 AM
ya true, i think the 01 has the 34 mm and the 04 has the 48mm