PDA

View Full Version : Axel barings?

02-05-2002, 01:20 PM
My axel wobbles so I should replace the barings, but doesn't my 400EX have a twin row set-up? Don't I need four barings? Parts Guy says it only has two.

Mitch400EX
02-05-2002, 08:14 PM
I just replaced my bearings, my dealer also said that you only need two bearings. you will probably have to take the carrier to the dealer to have the old ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in. The ones on the inside are not actually bearings, they just help dissapate the side loads or something like that.

Bspring
02-07-2002, 06:58 AM
The stock bearing carriers do not have twin row bearings; only after market have that. Remove the carrier then pop out the seals with a screwdriver. Next heat up the end of the carrier with a torch (you can get a small on from Wal-Mart for about $15) until smoke comes out of the bearings. Tap the carrier on the side of a table and the bearings should fall out. It is way too much work to drive them out with a hammer and screwdriver without heat.
Before you put them back in carefully remove one of the seals off your new bearing and pack it full of grease, put the seal back on, then get it real cold while heating your carrier again and it should drop in.