PDA

View Full Version : Jegs/FST oil cooler owners

Glamis400ex
10-13-2003, 07:09 PM
as of now, I still haven't been able to ride my 400ex with the new Jegs secondary oil cooler on it. (due to cylinder probs I won't go into):rolleyes:

anyhow, I still have the stock tank but was thinking I need to run more oil than 2 quarts due to the fact that I added about 5 feet of braided line and cooler for the oil, thus having less oil in the motor at any given time. LVegas, MIKE400EX, and all you others help me out.

I was thinking like another 1/2 quart maybe...

Glamis

Colby@C&DRacing
10-13-2003, 07:12 PM
I would fill the oil tank with the stock 2 quarts. Start the bike and let it idle, shut it down and check the oil level and add until it is full.

MIKE400EX
10-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Just like Colby said, top it off to the "full" line , and you will account for the little extra volume in the lines and cooler.

L.Vegas400
10-14-2003, 01:34 AM
i used almost 3 quarts in mine. i have the cooler set up from jegs, 90 deg to strait then line to cooler and same back again. i ran it for a few minutes let it set for a day, and it wasnt even showing on the stick. added till it showed and its been there ever since. not sure of the actual amount though. you gonna be ready for dumont halloween, that is if you want and can go?

Glamis400ex
10-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Thyanks VEGAS for the input. I was figuring about a 1/2 quart or so....I'll see what it does.

As far as going to Dumont, I'll be at Gordons down here.

Glamis

F-16Guy
10-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Here's what I did before I first started mine:
Take off the oil hose at the fitting in the clutch cover. Using a hand pump (like one you'd use to pump 90wt gear into your car axle--about $4 from AutoZone), pump the first quart of oil through the cooler and into the head. Reinstall oil hose and tighten clamp. Add remaining oil like you normally would.
This does two things: Fills the cooler and cooler lines, ensuring the top end will receive oil immediately after startup. Leaves space in your oil tank to add the proper amount of oil (all told, about 2 1/2 qts).

Glamis400ex
10-14-2003, 08:46 PM
F-16,

that helped a bunch, thanks.

Glamis

F-16Guy
10-15-2003, 07:56 AM
No problem. Just to clear something up; the total amount of oil should be about 2 1/2 qts, including what was pumped into the cooler. I think filling the cooler and lines is very important, it's critical to get oil pressure to the cam as soon as possible at start-up.