PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle oil?

d33pt
02-05-2002, 12:40 PM
is there anything wrong with using regular car motor oil on my 250ex? i just use pennzoil 10w40... manual suggests honda GN4 10w40 oil... what is the big difference? am i harming my bike?

02-06-2002, 10:43 AM
I am sure you will have tons of people tell you there is a difference. They will probably point to the clutch. I have a 95 zx6r Kawi that I have ran Mobil Synthetic 1 in since 3500 miles. (It currently has 33000) It is still on the stock clutch! I beat the SH*T out of this bike, it will still turn 11.14 inthe quarter with me on it, and I weigh 200 lbs. I had a dealer tell me I would fry the clucth and tear the motor up. It has not happened yet.

Just my 2 cents

Kris

Scott
02-06-2002, 11:13 AM
I run Castrol GTX in my quad. I also used it since I got my current dirtbike back in 1985. I've had no problems with either one. The only thing I've heard is stay away from the "friction enhancers/modifiers" and avoid all the oil additive BS like restore, slick 50, etc.

But from what I've read, Mobile1 synthetic seems to have the best reputation for air cooled engines.

400MXer
02-06-2002, 03:38 PM
I run Kendall GT-1 strait 40w. It's supposed to help cool the motor and it also doesn't break down like reagular oils, so it gives maximum pertection.

Revin300EX
02-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Mobil 1 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil is the EXACT same thing as Pro Honda oil.

Mobil manufactures the oil for Honda.

So you can save yourself a dollar or two by buying Mobil 1 MOTORCYCLE oil.

400exdad
02-09-2002, 10:10 PM
I 2nd or is it 3rd on the Mobil 1. I was a believer in the Honda GN4, until I got my 400. I hated the valve noise when the motor got hot, so I switched to synthetic. "Rocksmith" has a 400EX with about 5000 miles on it, stock bore and all. No probs with the clutch either. So far, I like it and am planning to put it in all my quads.

Matt Fisher
02-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Here's some interesting reading:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

JabberJaw
02-10-2002, 10:06 AM
Matt,
I read the info at the link you provided. While I found it rather informative, it did however leave me confused.

The conclusion the report came up with was:

"what we do know is that we can find no substantive evidence that using a high-quality, name-brand automotive oil in an average street motorcycle is in any way harmful or less effective in providing proper lubrication and protection than using the more expensive, motorcycle-specific oils"

My thoughts:

The Mobil 1 Oil everyone here refers to is for motorcycles.... right?
The Mobil 1 oil used in the test was for automotive use but still scored as high.

The Mobil 1 oil used in the test was 15W50, when all other oils were of the 40W grade. A definate advantage.

Someone mentioned that, "Mobil 1 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil is the EXACT same thing as Pro Honda oil"...
Yet in the test, the Mobil 1 Automotive Oil was tested against the Honda HP4 and still came out on top.

The report mentions "street motorcycle", however, I doubt the average street bike could handle the abuse off-roading would put on it.

So I am still left confused by all of the controversy, and have to come to a conclusion based on my own conception of what is best for my 400ex, which is in the end still a wild and crazy guess!

400exdad
02-10-2002, 10:22 AM
I use Mobil 1, 15w50 automotive oil.

Quadfather
02-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Where's that guy getting Mobil 1 for $3.48 a quart?

JGofNJ
02-12-2002, 08:30 PM
I have been using Amsoil Synthetics for years and decided it was cost effective to become a distributor for my own use. The only thing that I don't use it in is my Y2K Ford F-350 Powerstroke, but that is only because it uses 15 quarts every oil change and I'd rather just change it more often.

Holty
02-13-2002, 07:39 AM
I also use Amsoil 4-stroke oil in my 400ex. No problems so far, but it's only had like 3 oil changes.

PsychoDave
02-13-2002, 09:24 AM
i use honda oil....and change it every few rides....like 3 or 4 (of 4 to 5 hours) I have no prob with honda oil...but i think i will switch to mobil 1.....how much could it hurt? Will my clutch slip or burn out....i doubt it...if that were the case i think we would hear of more warnings and problems.....

anyone else have some insight?

02-19-2002, 03:11 PM
I am with JGofNJ. I became a distributor of Amsoil for my own use. Synthetic oil will not break down like regular oil and with my 400ex with a high compression piston I wanted the extra protection. Synthetic will help quite your motor down.

I started using Amsoil in my vehicles because of its superior protection, and also because I don't have to change the oil every 3000 miles. I am going to change my filter after 6 months and the oil after a year unless its getting really dirty. My wifes vehicle is next.

02-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Before I put the high compression piston in my bike, it ran on the regular Honda 10W-40 oil. (The stuff in the red bottles). The previous owner had raced this bike cross country a couple of times and rode this bike pretty hard. The cylinder wall was in very good shape when I tore the motor apart, so I can't say anything bad about this oil.

86atc250r
02-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Jabberjaw-

No. Mobil1 15w50 is an "automotive" oil. They make a "V Twin" 20w50 that's something like $8/qt - the only real difference is a little more zinc.

The Mobil 1 oil used in the test was 15W50, when all other oils were of the 40W grade. A definate advantage.

An advantage in overall protection in a hot environment, but they were testing viscosity retention as a percentage - the oils weight would have nothing to do with that. I'd rather have a 10w40 that held it's viscosity 50% better than a 20w50.

Someone mentioned that, "Mobil 1 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil is the EXACT same thing as Pro Honda oil"...
Yet in the test, the Mobil 1 Automotive Oil was tested against the Honda HP4 and still came out on top.

I don't think that's a true statement. I know it's not true if they were talking about Honda HP4. HP4 is a semisynthetic blend. Mobil1 15w50 is full synthetic blend of group4 PAO, and group 5 polyolesters and diesters

The report mentions "street motorcycle", however, I doubt the average street bike could handle the abuse off-roading would put on it.

I think you missed the whole point.

The point was that the "motorcycle" oils performed no better than the "Automotive" oils in the streetbike environment, and actually worse...

Nothing would suggest that it (the "motorcycle" oil) would perform better if it were in a more harsh environment like off-road.

There are reports all over the web of independent tests similar to this one... I suggest you read and take note of these. These people have nothing to gain by the info they are providing you... However, the people down at the local motorcycle shop that push this stuff on you sure do.. Who do you think should be believed?

PsychoDave
02-23-2002, 04:11 PM
Well put.....I agree 100% 86atc250r

JabberJaw
02-24-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Jabberjaw-

No. Mobil1 15w50 is an "automotive" oil. They make a "V Twin" 20w50 that's something like $8/qt - the only real difference is a little more zinc.

I think you missed the whole point.

The point was that the "motorcycle" oils performed no better than the "Automotive" oils in the streetbike environment, and actually worse...

Nothing would suggest that it (the "motorcycle" oil) would perform better if it were in a more harsh environment like off-road.

My perception of previous posts about Mobil 1, led me to believe the Mobil 1 oil everyone was talking about and using in their ATV, was actaully a Motorcycle blend. No wonder I had such a hard time finding the oil.

The only point there is to make is ...what has been proven to be the best oil to use in my ATV without having to pay for all the hype.

SGA
02-25-2002, 11:53 PM
Heres a good link about whats the best oil to use in a motorcycle/quad. This guy seems to know what hes talking about. He's a retired chemist from the oil industry http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

Matt400ex_17
03-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know if there has been any recent studies on the oils. As they have said in the article alot can change in 8 years.

RoostinOna400ex
03-17-2002, 04:53 PM
OK yacky yacky yacky.........what grade of mobil 1 synthetic oil should I use?? 10w40 or 10w50 or 20w50??? What should I use and when in the summer it gets in the high 90's down here and it gets pretty cool in the winter?? I have a stock egine but in the summer might get a high compression piston!! Will mobil 1 break down my clutch ?? I have heard that before but am not for sure?? Any information will ****:confused: :blah