PDA

View Full Version : How to jump, Correctly!

EXrider03
10-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Ok I have a small jump beside my house and I have alot of lift. Well I am wondering how do I hit it correctly without nosediving? When I get on the throttle alot and lean back as fas as I can go, it still nosedives. If I hit in 2nd-3rd gear it is ok but I am wanting to hit it harder! So how do you guys do it? Do you pin the throttle and hang on? Or take it one step at a time??

sly400ex
10-13-2003, 02:51 PM
How tall is it? Are all 4 wheels on the take off at the the same time?

Tommy 17
10-13-2003, 02:56 PM
are u lettin off the gas on the take off???? that'll cuase ur front to drop... stay steady on the gas!!!

also don't hit the braks in the air... it nose dives it...

are u preloading ur suspension??? if u are that could also be a problem... it sometimes can drop ur nose...

JTRtrx250r
10-13-2003, 03:30 PM
if its a kicker it'll do that..you just gotta keep workin' on it,or fill it in so its not so steep

wilkin250r
10-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Stay on the gas as you hit the jump.

If you want, try a little experiment. Find a smaller jump, something you can hit in 2nd gear and get 1-2ft of air. Give it a little extra throttle right as you hit it, and you'll feel the front come up. If you let off the throttle right before, the front end will dive. If you give it TOO much throttle, the font end will come up too far, which is equally as bad.

EXrider03
10-13-2003, 04:50 PM
I let gas it hard as I approach the jump. I can jump it fine but I am wanting to hit it harder! And no, all 4 wheels arent on the jump at the same time!:(

RoadkillerRyan
10-13-2003, 05:19 PM
what kind of quad do you have?
utliity quads can do that cause some have alot of frontweight
its probably just the jump needs to be rebuilt

honda250xrider
10-13-2003, 05:28 PM
lean back a little give the throttle hell.... if you feel like you going a little to far back... you can hit the rear brake to bring you nose down a little just keep pratcing

optikid123
10-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by EXrider03
I let gas it hard as I approach the jump. I can jump it fine but I am wanting to hit it harder! And no, all 4 wheels arent on the jump at the same time!:(

well its gonna kick your nose down if its not big enough cause your back tires will just bounce off it

K2Snow
10-13-2003, 05:40 PM
I used to have the same problem. I'd want to go big out at the dunes but I would tend to nosedive or land really hard. Now, I preload suspension, jump, lean back and push down on pegs. This brings rear wheels down so that they can take full impact of jump. Works really well for me. What kind of quad do you have? Shouldn't be too hard to pull up in the air.

Narly R
10-13-2003, 05:47 PM
When I jump, I hold steady on the gas, and then burp it on the jump, if I get not level, on big jumps, I can usually level out, but like in racing you want to be able to not catch as mUCH of air, but still clear ir, but if ur noise is diving, prolly because the lip is too small and ur trying to get bigger air out of it that its capible of...:ermm: How tall is it? Are you landing on a down-side?

Narly R
10-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
lean back a little give the throttle hell.... if you feel like you going a little to far back... you can hit the rear brake to bring you nose down a little just keep pratcing

You shouldnt ahve to ALWAYS lean back, like the pic in my Avatar, u want to be in a standing-race possistion, ONLY lean back if you have to, you should get to where you can hit stuff (prolly need to ATLEAST3-4 foot tall lips...:ermm: ) standing up. You see some pics of guys sitting back on the seat, or leaning back, this is not the correst way to jump, evey rider is differnt, just practice practice PRACTICE! Then you will have better feel for you and ur bike!;)

wilkin250r
10-13-2003, 06:21 PM
If you don't have all four wheels on the jump at the same time, it sounds like its just a little kicker, not a big ramp.

Bad news, you will NEVER get good air off this jump. The front tires are already off the jump by the time the rear tires hit it. This will cause the rear to bounce up, forcing the front end down. The faster you hit it, the worse it will get.

The only solution is to get a shovel and modify the jump, or make your own. For high-speed jumps and major air, you don't want a steep take-off, you want a nice gradual slope. Also, for major air, it is important that the jump be big enough that all four tires are on the jump at the same time.

cool 300ex
10-13-2003, 07:04 PM
I always stand up when i jump is this wrong?

Narly R
10-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
I always stand up when i jump is this wrong?

No...;)

cool 300ex
10-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Ok thanks hey i also stand up when i am climbing a hill is that wrong?

K2Snow
10-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Leaning back to bring rear down
http://www30.brinkster.com/dunepics/pismo2.jpg

Chino
10-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
Leaning back to bring rear down
http://www30.brinkster.com/dunepics/pismo2.jpg

Not to get off the subject, but ur sigs longer than that post :D

RIjon
10-13-2003, 10:04 PM
I used to have a big problem nose Diving till I Tilted my Handlebars back so they were inline with the Stem... FWIW

And yah, Stay on the Throttle :blah:

airheadedduner
10-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
Ok thanks hey i also stand up when i am climbing a hill is that wrong?
I never sit down when I ride, is that wrong?:blah:

Try slwoing down your rebound a little. Turn it twards hard a few clicks.

K2Snow
10-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Chino
Not to get off the subject, but ur sigs longer than that post :D

lol! you caught me... i'm not perfect.

NTPRacing#19
10-14-2003, 05:18 PM
im thinking you made your jump to small to what speed you wanna hit it at. if you can have all four wheels on the jump itself then its way to small and built all wrong.

JTRtrx250r
10-14-2003, 06:10 PM
try and make your ramp 1-1/2 to 2 quad lengths at least;)