PDA

View Full Version : '99 400EX axle headaches

SLB400EX
10-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Rob's quad is a '99 400EX, w/ the stock carrier.
We've replaced the bearings 3 times this season. Has a Meszimoto lock nut. The locknut itself is not moving, Rob marks it.
When we replace the bearings, it's only the bearing on the rotor side that is FUBAR. Seems like that is the side that has the most play too.
We replaced the bearings about a month ago(replaced the distance collar too), have maybe 6 hours on the new bearings and the axle is now pretty loose.
Seems like every time you ride it you have to tighten the axle nut up a little more to get the axle tight again
What could the problem be? Bad carrier? Bad swing arm?

TIA for the help.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-13-2003, 02:17 PM
the tube between the bearing is probably worn out. after instillation of new bearings if you can move the tube between them, you should replace the tube.

SLB400EX
10-13-2003, 03:30 PM
We replaced that tube this last time..it's a distance collar.
We had hoped it would have fixed this problem but it didn't.

:(
Thanks anyhow..

Sher

tprender
10-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Get a new collar that the lock nut screws onto. The lock nut might be jumping threads. They are fine threads and not very deep.
Also, what are you using to tigthen up the nut with? I use a large pair of channel locks and sometimes my big pipe wrench.

10-13-2003, 08:29 PM
use some blue thread lock on that sucka and it will be fine.

SLB400EX
10-14-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by tprender
Get a new collar that the lock nut screws onto. The lock nut might be jumping threads. They are fine threads and not very deep.
Also, what are you using to tigthen up the nut with? I use a large pair of channel locks and sometimes my big pipe wrench.

Replacing that collar might be a good idea..thanks. :)
W/ the lock nut we use, you just hand tighen it, then tighten the two allen bolts. I have the same lock nut and I have no problems.

Thanks for the help so far..appreciate it. Looks like we're gonna be tearing into his axle again .. goodie goodie ..not looking forward to it... at this point, I can almost do it myself, w/ my eyes closed.

Sher

tprender
10-14-2003, 06:50 AM
If you are just hand tighting the nut that could be the problem. That nut has to be tight. I have even heard of people tighting and loosing the nut 2 or 3 times before they get the final time to make sure that all of the play is out.

SLB400EX
10-14-2003, 07:38 AM
First off...if anyone out there has a Meszaros lock nut..can ya shout out to me just what the directions do say. I've looked, can't find ours. Tried calling Meszaros, of course--no answer. Gee..surprise there. Not.

Anyhow, tprender, I should clear up my "hand tighten" comment. He tightens her up nice and tight, as tight as he can get it by hand--that's what the instructions say for this lock nut. Then he tighten the two pinch bolts..checks it, makes sure it's tight, rides it a while here around the house right afterwards..checks it....it's OK.
It's only after a trail ride(40miles or so) that it loosens up. He'll tighten it up, axle gets even looser after the next ride.
He does my lock nut the same way, we've had not one problem with my axle this year.
Again....many thanks for the help and suggestions. Appreciate your time w/ this...

F-16Guy
10-14-2003, 07:52 AM
You're sure that's not the instructions for tapered bearings?

JOEX
10-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Tightening standard carrier as per Meszaros Instructions......

"If you have the standard carrier with a center spacer, they do not need more than 5-10 lbs. of torque with our axle locking nut. (approximately equivalent to tightening using both hands) Do not tighten with a wrench .

The clamp bolts, not the tightness of the nut, lock the nut to the axle. Too little torque while tightening the nut with standard carriers won't cause damage, but too much torque will damage your axle locking nut and may damage your bearings as well. Putting more torque on double bearings increases rolling resistance and decreases bearing life."

SLB400EX
10-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Tightening standard carrier as per Meszaros Instructions......

"If you have the standard carrier with a center spacer, they do not need more than 5-10 lbs. of torque with our axle locking nut. (approximately equivalent to tightening using both hands) Do not tighten with a wrench .

The clamp bolts, not the tightness of the nut, lock the nut to the axle. Too little torque while tightening the nut with standard carriers won't cause damage, but too much torque will damage your axle locking nut and may damage your bearings as well. Putting more torque on double bearings increases rolling resistance and decreases bearing life."

THANK YOU!! So much..

Just wanted someone to back up what we've been doing all along..!!
Wanted to double check too..

SLB400EX
10-15-2003, 05:43 AM
Rob and I have thought and thought and talked and talked...(speaking of headaches..lol)
He's gonna take off that Mesz lock nut, put his RAD lock nut back on.
The only reason he switched, was cuz he liked the idea of the two pinch bolts on the Mesz. His RAD lock is in perfect shape.
Anyhow....thinking back, all this crap started when he put on the Mesz lock nut.
:(
Thinking maybe there is something not quite right about that nut...
Gonna try that b4 we go and order more axle parts..(although that threaded collar isn't very much thru S.H..16 bucks..)
I've had Mesz lock nut for over a year and not one problem, haven't read where anyone else has issues either..but ya never know..

Later..
Sher

Taco
10-15-2003, 06:16 AM
I don't see how the Axle nut could be at fault especially since you have been marking it. Maybe try tightening it a just a tad bit more. Are you using the stock bearing carrier? Is there any mud in the carrier when you go to change the bearings?

SLB400EX
10-15-2003, 07:12 AM
I don't see how it could be the nut either....but that's when the trouble started. :huh
Yeah, the stock carrier is on it.
No mud in the carrier either.

I'm up for other suggetsions here and to what the hell the issue is.

??...Do the carriers actually wear out...???? Every thing goes back together like it should when we replace the bearings and seals, nice and tight.
I've asked & read and other than having a cracked carrier, people just seem to replace them cuz they like the aftermarket carriers better. Not cuz they have issues.

I think Rob is one fried nerve away from dropping a match down the gas tank and taking care of his loose axle once and for all...

:eek2:

INFANTRY RACING
10-15-2003, 07:15 AM
when you purchase your new threaed collar purchase a 250r one. the 250rs was longer and will provide more threads for the lock nut to grip on too.