PDA

View Full Version : chroming frame

forum
10-13-2003, 11:45 AM
Should I go to a harley/biker shop to ask about chroming an entire frame??What do you think the cost will be? thinking about building a yfz with white plastic and chrome Chassis. Also is there someone that makes aluminium beadlock rings for hipers?

Pappy
10-13-2003, 11:47 AM
I asked popo about chroming an entire frame and he said that he is 99% sure they can do it. send him a pm and im sure he can hook ya up. i lost the number to the place or id post it

tants
10-13-2003, 01:09 PM
how well would that hold up? :confused:

popo
10-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by forum
Should I go to a harley/biker shop to ask about chroming an entire frame??What do you think the cost will be? thinking about building a yfz with white plastic and chrome Chassis. Also is there someone that makes aluminium beadlock rings for hipers?

You can chrome about anything, except Stainless steel. Youre looking at about $1,000.00 buy the time you get the frame prepped striped and fully polished out.

How will it hold up, fine except in the area's prone to getting it with rocks etc. The chrome will peel in big flakes.

I would say go to a fancy trans powder coat and have the frame buffed out first. Powder is cheaper than chrome.

forum
10-13-2003, 03:28 PM
JESUS! 1000 bucks. well i aint doin that. That chrome powder isnt that shiney is it?

I thought i could get it done for maybe 500. that was my limit

NTPRacing#19
10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
that would be sick forum, it would be a westcoast quad kinda, well prolly not lol, but that would be sick!

Black400
10-13-2003, 05:37 PM
JESUS! 1000 bucks. well i aint doin that. That chrome powder isnt that shiney is it?

I thought i could get it done for maybe 500. that was my limit Chrome powder is very shiney;)

forum
10-13-2003, 07:51 PM
any pictures of chrome powder?? havent been keeping up lately. pappy still doing powdercoating?? saw he bought bill's old/new quad. Pappy alls i gotta say is WOW. You never stop. That one will be sold in a month and it'll be some other trick chromed out one of a kind.

Pappy
10-13-2003, 07:57 PM
ill post what i have for ya...i dont have many of chrome on my home pc.

the subframe in this pic is chrome

forum
10-13-2003, 08:01 PM
so its like a darker chrome??

Pappy
10-13-2003, 08:03 PM
no the stuff i use is pretty bright (thats a crappy pic) ill post some for ya tomarrow at work

forum
10-13-2003, 08:14 PM
ok. thanks alot pappy.

popo
10-14-2003, 04:17 AM

I thought i could get it done for maybe 500. that was my limit

Fourm, I did not mean to sticker shock ya, but chroming frames is very labor intesive polishing all the nooks and crannies.

Plus labor intensive on your part keeping it cleaned.

I still think, have the frame polished to a mirror finish, than have Pappy shoot it with trans blue or red. They also make a black chrome that looks pretty sweet too.

Pappy, what about clear coating it over the polish?

Isn't a $1000.00 like $1,900 Canadian EH!

Pappy
10-14-2003, 06:23 AM
you can clear over the polish but with mild steel (especially jap steel) it will rust even when rust inhibitors are used. id say since he wants that kinda color just to check locally and have it pc'd chrome. alot of the commercial chrome powders are bonded and look ok ....but the reflective chrome is pretty killer for just powder and when clear is added its pretty strong as compared to non- cleared.

forum
10-14-2003, 06:50 AM
thats pretty nice. I think i may do that. and clear it like you said. About the canadian prices deal. Yea actualy if the prices followed the exchange rate at the total cost would be $1000 U.S. someware in the states to get that done it would cost me aprox $1400 Canadian. but for some reason it all evens out and usualy something that costs 1000 bucks in the states usualy costs 1000 bucks here. strange eh!. like our quads. if you compare the exchange rates it would make alot of sense for you americans to come up here and buy your quads cause after the exchange rate its cheaper to buy new ones up here. Alot of people from new york were doing that about a year or two ago with one year used trucks. I had a problem buying one. ALL you damn yanks steelin the good deals. Then bush made it a point to say. BUy in america! it mostly stoped it. But some of you still see the benifits.

Thanks pappy for the pic. My local pc'er did have a chrome colour the last time i was there. but hes a bit of a meat head. I'll check the other guy down the street.

forum
10-14-2003, 06:54 AM
what about the aluminium rings for hipers?? anyone heard of them. I just actualy thought it up. and figured someone has to make them. Cause the fibres ones get chewed up easy. And polished would look amazing.

400exBro
10-14-2003, 03:29 PM
man don't chrome the frame, it would look sick, but i doubt it would be worht it unless you used it as a show bike.
so is this for your yzf426 ?
or are you buying a yzf450 and doing her up ?

phatswinn
10-14-2003, 04:04 PM
if you want i could ask my best friends stepdad on how much that would put "me" back on how much the frame would cost, it would prabably only cost $100 or so cuz he's the head supervisor at the place (superior technology)

ill ask today if i can then private message ya on the cost
then on shipping & shizzle

Black400
10-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Here is papys work i think its trans. blue over chrome:eek2: http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL294/1487640/2838539/35777764.jpg

lil400exman
10-14-2003, 05:13 PM
any pictures of chrome powder?? havent been keeping up lately. pappy still doing powdercoating?? saw he bought bill's old/new quad. Pappy alls i gotta say is WOW. You never stop. That one will be sold in a month and it'll be some other trick chromed out one of a kind. i was at my pc shop and the guy said chrome pc will turn black after awhile..................:confused:

Pappy
10-14-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
i was at my pc shop and the guy said chrome pc will turn black after awhile..................:confused:

thats why you clear it;)

Quad18star
10-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Carl theres a place down towards Windsor that would be able to chrome it for you . I think its called Cambrian Chroming or soemthing . My uncle got his bumper on an old car redone . Cost him 1500$ You'll be looking about the same . On another note , What do you think of Richard Reaths R?? He wants to sell it for 12 000$ I havent seen the bike but im sure you have . Gimme the low down . Lataz

JTRtrx250r
10-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
thats why you clear it;) if ya dont it turns flat- grey and gets worse,my buddy had his done w/o clearcoating and it looked like chit after a couple months..

if you chromed a frame it would be a tad heavier and where its not welded or sealed..it'll leak rust and is a PITA !!

Im diggin' that trans blue look btw!! :cool:

310Rduner
10-14-2003, 06:31 PM
Pappy.. that trans blue over chrome pic up above is trans blue over chrome Pc right?

For stuff like a-arms.. how much better would the trans blue look over real chrome..?:)

Pappy
10-14-2003, 06:46 PM
IMO chrome is the way to go....but as stated it can rust on ya.

the pic of the engine bracket was trans blue shot straight over chrome (real chrome) i saw the engine today and it still looks sweet:D

JTRtrx250r
10-14-2003, 06:49 PM
can ya do that w/ trans-red also?,if so I wonder if looks near as good as the blue..

Pappy
10-14-2003, 06:54 PM
yep it does. ill start taking pics now that i can post them easily.

one thing to remember tho...when using the trans colors over chrome directly they arent as stong as a standard pc. on car parts that see little to no abuse i can get away with not scuffing the chrome or billet aluminum. if the part was to see use id either clear it or recommend it staying chroem...or even being anodized if it were aluminum

310Rduner
10-14-2003, 11:03 PM
So pappy, when people do trans blue over chrome frames.. are those trans blue shot over chrome pc, or over real chrome?:confused:

danney f
10-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
So pappy, when people do trans blue over chrome frames.. are those trans blue shot over chrome pc, or over real chrome?:confused:

Chrome PC;)

310Rduner
10-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by danney f
Chrome PC;)

alright, thx danney.

I had to think that it would be that, or you would see so few people with it lol.

danney f
10-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
alright, thx danney.

I had to think that it would be that, or you would see so few people with it lol.

Yea, most people that spend the $1,000 and up to have their frame chrome plated, don't really want to cover it up with another color.

$1,000+ for chrome plateing plus $150 for the trans PC
or
$200+ for chrome PC & Trans color PC