PDA

View Full Version : Which Pipe

Ridin' Red
10-13-2003, 02:11 AM
Hey guys, just need your opinions on what 4 stroke pipe I should get. I'm thinkin full LRD or Graydon Proline. I want it to be loud and some good power gains throughout.

2003EXRIDER
10-13-2003, 05:22 AM
i got a White Brothers E-Series comin for mine. not here yet though i'll let you know what i think once it's here.:D :cool:

kargaaro
10-13-2003, 06:53 AM
I have a full LRD and I'm very pleased with it. It's definately loud and good gains throughout.

ex kid
10-13-2003, 08:04 AM
LRD!

2001400ex
10-13-2003, 09:34 AM
HMF - Very nice sound, and noticeable power gains.

www.hmfengineering.com

RIDER11X
10-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Ridin' Red
Hey guys, just need your opinions on what 4 stroke pipe I should get. I'm thinkin full LRD or Graydon Proline. I want it to be loud and some good power gains throughout.
For which quad?:huh

Colby@C&DRacing
10-13-2003, 07:09 PM
The LRD and Graydon are very similar in design and both make good HP gains:)

Sportrax10
10-13-2003, 07:38 PM
LRD

RIDER11X
10-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
The LRD and Graydon are very similar in design and both make good HP gains:) Add CT Racing to that mix, except their pipes are usually the top dogs in the HP dept..:blah:

airheadedduner
10-13-2003, 10:23 PM
On the mostly stock EX the WB E-series full system made the same amount of power as the CT full system and is much quieter. Dyno confirmed. Just thought i'd ad that.

RIDER11X
10-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
On the mostly stock EX the WB E-series full system made the same amount of power as the CT full system and is much quieter. Dyno confirmed. Just thought i'd ad that.

True the peak HP is the same, but the CT comes on stronger and quicker in the bottom end. Well worth a little more noise to me.;)

airheadedduner
10-14-2003, 12:58 PM
In the bottom it was stronger, mid to top they where the same. And its not a little noise difference. The WB passes OR sound which is 93db, the CT was an earsplitting 111db.

10-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Best power gain you'll ever get is from one of these puppies....:eek2:

UglyMotha™
10-14-2003, 01:27 PM
it's only been a couple days and rio is alreadys abusing the picture posting priviliges :eek2:

:blah:

10-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
it's only been a couple days and rio is alreadys abusing the picture posting priviliges :eek2:

:blah:

Keep runnin your pie hoe and i'll be abusing my banning priviliges...http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/banned.gif

nacs400ex
10-14-2003, 02:14 PM
I would go with an LRD pipe. But if your buying a pipe so it will be loud, I hate you. Its people like you that get trails and MX tracks closed down. You get a pipe because it has the best performance not the loudest.:rolleyes:

UglyMotha™
10-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Keep runnin your pie hoe and i'll be abusing my banning priviliges...http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/banned.gif

i'm not a rocket scientist or anything but do you mean my pie hole http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/pullin%20out%20hair.gif

10-14-2003, 05:22 PM
sparks X-6

RIDER11X
10-14-2003, 11:29 PM
In the bottom it was stronger, mid to top they where the same. And its not a little noise difference. The WB passes OR sound which is 93db, the CT was an earsplitting 111db.
:rolleyes: You may want to check your sources.

Dirt Wheels Dyno Test : We would love to report that the quietest pipe made the most power. Unfortunately that’s not the case. The CT was the loudest at 102 dB while tying for the highest peak power. The White Bros. E pipe, which also produced 27.9 hp, did so at a 95 dB sound level.

Now the reason why CT wins in my book, also courtesy of Dirt Wheels:
BRAND HP @ 4000rpm PEAK HP SOUND LEVEL WEIGHT PRICE
Honda 13.0 26.9 88dB 8.6 lb. $187.50

CT Racing (12 discs) 16.3 27.9 102dB 6.0 lb. $299.00

White Brothers E-Series 14.7 27.9 95dB 5.1 lb. $259.95

Note the HP at 4,000 RPM's.:eek2: :blah: :devil:

Also your dB levels are a little outrageous too. 102 NOT 111.:huh

airheadedduner
10-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Take it easy dude, it has been a while since I read that article. I guess I am biasing my opinion on pipes. I am not a fan of CT, but from what I read and how I interpeted the info I got a different impressions. If you like the CT more power to you. Are you sure on prices though, those look likie slip on prices, not the full system.

10-15-2003, 12:51 PM
What i find interesting is that I believe dirtwheels did that shootout at CT racings facility. Hmmmmmmmm Kinda makes ya wonder how CT's pipe came out on top. :rolleyes: They did alot more prep on their pipe setup than the others I garauntee that. Oh and they are loud..102 db my ***..:rolleyes:

RIDER11X
10-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Take it easy dude, it has been a while since I read that article. I guess I am biasing my opinion on pipes. I am not a fan of CT, but from what I read and how I interpeted the info I got a different impressions. If you like the CT more power to you. Are you sure on prices though, those look likie slip on prices, not the full system.

No flame intended in any way ;) , Just putting out the facts from the article. The article was a slip on shoot out so the prices were for slip ons.
And the shootout was done at K&N's facility. I am a fan of that pipe, and they are loud as mine w/ 12disks is comparable to most open systems. I am just careful to stay out of the throttle when in sound sensitive areas, such as near houses or businesses out of common courtesy.:cool:
In reality slip ons are so similar in most cases, that it really is personal preferance. I do really like the DEEP tone of the HMF and like the shortness and sound of the TC, but I heard that a TC has trouble getting through tech inspection at GNCC's.:eek:

desertsandrider
10-15-2003, 10:50 PM
I've had a white bros. e-series on my bike for almost 3 years now....in that 3 years, it has been welded 8 TIMES where the pipe meets the silencer, and 6 TIMES on the support bracket....it broke last weekend....for the last time, and i went with whatever pipe the bike shop had in stock...fmf powercore is now on there, and i noticed no difference after correcting jetting, except the fmf is a little louder. I just got tired of all the welding bills!!! hopefully the fmf will hold up to desert racing better than the e-series.
i would go with the sparks though...if they had it that day, but they are all so close anyways....who really needs 1/4 hp??? not me, i'll smoke you from years of experience!!! just my 2cents, Later

Ridin' Red
10-16-2003, 12:50 AM
nacs400ex,

I did not mean LOUD, I meant a pipe with a nice "piped" tone to it. Sorry, didn't mean it that way.

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions!

Ridin' Red

P.S. The pipe is for my Craptor... Who knows how long I'll have it though, those new 450's are tempting me!

RIDER11X
10-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Ridin' Red
nacs400ex,

I did not mean LOUD, I meant a pipe with a nice "piped" tone to it. Sorry, didn't mean it that way.

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions!

Ridin' Red

P.S. The pipe is for my Craptor... Who knows how long I'll have it though, those new 450's are tempting me!

All of that, and it's for a Raptor?:rolleyes: LOL! J/K. Seriously, go to http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=143[/URL] for the shootout. ;)

Colby@C&DRacing
10-16-2003, 10:16 AM
One other problem with quoting results from a mag that tested pipes on a stock bike, We are talking about putting this on a not so stock motor. And yes this will make a difference. Why do you think LRD and Sparks made two different pipes for the 400ex:)

speedy
10-16-2003, 09:40 PM
I just put a Fmf titanium 4 exaust on my 400ex and it helped alot on bottom end but only helped alittle on top end. But has a nice deep sound tone to it.:D

RIDER11X
10-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
One other problem with quoting results from a mag that tested pipes on a stock bike, We are talking about putting this on a not so stock motor. And yes this will make a difference. Why do you think LRD and Sparks made two different pipes for the 400ex:) Very true, and a very good point! I run a stock motor w/ a CT slip on beause I don't plan to mod the motor any more in the future. However, If I was going to mod it I would buy my pipe from the company that I would have building the motor which may be CT, LRD, TC, Duncan, etc.. Most builders use a pipe that works well with their style of building.