PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No to ELKA's

Blackguywithouta400
02-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Well im in the market for shocks for the 400 now. I’ve got the motor done so im going for handling now. I’ve had my heart on a set of Elka Triple Rate with the SSD, Piggy Back Reservoirs and compression adjustability. I will also get the rear rebuilt with the same features. Since I plan o doing mostly XC trails riding, along with my local indoor MX racing and Flat tracking. I want the shocks to work well on the trails and also the MX track I like to jump and so far im only doing 40ft table tops as my limit I want the shocks to be able to handle this too and not bottom out. I also want them not to sit to low and have me lose ground clearance. Will the Elka’s do the trick? This will be on standard A arms I am thinking of going to +1 a arms but will probably just go with off set front OMF wheels instead. Are there other shocks that will offer me better performance?:confused:

oynot400
02-05-2002, 10:15 AM
One of the guys I ride with has Elka's all the way around on his machine. He really likes them, even though he had to send them in to have the valveing changed. They are so nice that another guy, that doesn't buy any aftermarket stuff for his quad, is going to get get the fronts and have Elka do the rear.
If I have to buy shocks again I would be getting Elka or PEP's.;)

kabd69667
02-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Those shocks will work great for you. They're very nice looking and great shocks. I bought mine from HSD Racing. I'd say they seem to be what your looking for

400exBro
02-05-2002, 01:58 PM
maybe more , but **** ya they are the best of the best of the best, for what they are worth they are they are made to the full potentail of your money.
lata
400exBro

02-05-2002, 08:12 PM
When you call the dealers, they will ask you what kind of riding you plan on, and they will set up your shocks to your style of riding.

I'm really enjoying my Elka shocks..... and 2 of my buddies enjoyed them so much, they placed an order on Friday.

I don't do much jumping, so I can't help you out in that area, but for trail riding..............:macho

02-06-2002, 12:27 AM
Mine are on the way, ask me in a couple weeks. Martin @ Elka assured me that I would have them in time to install by the end of this month. I ordered their triple rates with ssd and comp/reb adjustment. I'm a big guy been riding on stock suspension, so I dunno how well I can judge them versus the other top names, but I'll give up what info I can when I get 'em. I chose Elka over the Pep based on recent reviews here and otherwise, as well as lead time, price, and though appearance is no real indicator or performance, they sure look sharp!

Pepto_Bismol
02-06-2002, 12:50 PM
I bought my Elkas about three weeks ago directly from Elka suspension. Mark and Martin are great poeple and very helpfull. I do the same type fo riding you do, but I go about 50 to 55 feet on my table tops and have not bottomed out yet. I have the exact type of Elkas you want to get. I also plan on having them rebuild my rear shock. You can get them for about $750 from the Quad shop or K&V(I think that's the name), but I paid 820, however, I ordered on a thursday, and got them exactly 1 week later. To me that's worth $70. They corner and grab excellent too. You'll be happy with them. I plan on getting +2 A-Arms in the future too, and Elkas are fully rebuildable. They quoted me about 150.00 to have them revalved. Not to mention, they look really trick!
Pepto. :cool:
PS. Check out my earlier thread on Elkas. I reposted to bring it back up.
Godd Luck!