PDA

View Full Version : Head stud installation

stupid driver
10-12-2003, 01:01 PM
I pulled a stud on my motor last week, so i ordered an oversized kit from rocky ridge racing. Anyways, my question is, what do i need to tell the machine shop to do. How much deeper will they need to drill into the head. )I heard that the new studs are longer) anything will help. Thanks

bandit390
10-12-2003, 01:18 PM
I had a head stud pull out. I got a local guy to retap it in and check the other studs. He told me he was able to tighten the studs about a quarter of a inch. He took those out, put some super lock on them and put them back in.

Glamis400ex
10-12-2003, 06:21 PM
I would pay to have someone put it in. I am getting the HD stud kit from FDO and they told me that their HD studs have a more coarse thread, as opposed to the fine thread the OEM honda has. Thats why they pull easily.

The FDO are longer but they give you open style nuts, so you dont bottom out the top of the stud in the acorn nut, giving you a false reading on your torque wrench.

I should have it here Monday.

Glamis

bandit390
10-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex

The FDO are longer but they give you open style nuts, so you dont bottom out the top of the stud in the acorn nut, giving you a false reading on your torque wrench.

Glamis

I dont think the oem "acorn nut" gives a false reading. The stud that pulled out on me went threw the nut with almost no torque on it. If the stud got close enough to the top of the nut, it would go threw it.

stupid driver
10-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by bandit390
I dont think the oem "acorn nut" gives a false reading. The stud that pulled out on me went threw the nut with almost no torque on it. If the stud got close enough to the top of the nut, it would go threw it easy.

thats what mine did. They take practically nothing to go through the top. But, since the studs are longer, will they have to drill deeper into the cylinder?

Glamis400ex
10-12-2003, 06:43 PM
they put in longer studs so you need the open style nuts. That way they dont need to be set so exact of the deck height like the OEM studs. Yes, they drill deeper also.

Glamis