PDA

View Full Version : How many Engineers on here??

Quad18star
10-12-2003, 12:19 PM
So who on this site is an Engineer?? What kind of engineer are you?? Do you like it?? Im in my secong year of college trying to get a Civil Engineering degree . It is a lot more work than what I thought it would be . Didn't think there was so much involved in building roads and buildings . Personally I don't like the program because of all the math involved . They have a formula for everything . But I guess thats what you have to expect from Engineering.

Tommy 17
10-12-2003, 02:35 PM
i was just accepted to college for engineering...

99.99% sure i'll go as mechanical but civil is my next choice...

so in 5 or 6 years i mayb designin the new honda:D

kabd69667
10-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Where are you guys attending school?

batgeek
10-12-2003, 03:35 PM
BS in Eletronics Engineering(Old Dominion Univ)
ME in Operations Research & Systems Analysis(Old Dominion Univ)

plus my lame ***** BA in Psychology(SDSU)

coryatver
10-12-2003, 03:39 PM
I am working on computer eng.

Tommy 17
10-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by kabd69667
Where are you guys attending school?

i'm accepted to 3 schools right now and i have 2 more in the mail not replied yet... i may apply to a few others 2... just seein what i can get into... my rankin of 3rd in the state in architecture can pretty much get me into any program that deals with cadd programs etc... that and my 720 on my SAT math part

so far i'm accepted to...

iup - indiana university of PA
upj- university of pittsburgh at johnstown
psua- penn state university in altoona

and i still have in the mail

pitt main
penn state main

OhioRed
10-12-2003, 04:44 PM
graduated this past spring, BS in Mechanical Engineering from Ohio University in Athens

chucked
10-12-2003, 06:22 PM
im in 1st year mechanical engineering at University of Maryland Baltimore County

400exBro
10-12-2003, 06:57 PM
I have one more year of high school left and am going on to post secondary school to become a mechanical engineer second choice is robotics.

Any tips and advice that you could give me?? etc...

chucked
10-12-2003, 07:28 PM
i wouldnt go into robotics. Its gonna be hard finding a job. I did mechical because theres alot of crap around here for it.

Tommy 17
10-12-2003, 07:36 PM
i'm pickin mechanical for the same reason...

TONS OF JOBS...

most mechanical engineers from UPJ where i'm most likly gonna go... go directly into HONDA designing parts:D atleast thats what they told me...

10-12-2003, 07:41 PM
not to sound dumb here guys..but what exactly is an engineer..in my metals class my teacher said something about one of his students becoming an engineer...i love working with metal, making things, welding etc...and if engineering sounds interesting..ill look into it, any help would be appreciated

K_Fulk
10-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by OhioRed
graduated this past spring, BS in Mechanical Engineering from Ohio University in Athens

Are you going to miss Halloween down there. Or do you just stay away beacuse they like to give out so many tickets down there.

Sorry for getting off topic.

lil400exman
10-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
So who on this site is an Engineer?? What kind of engineer are you?? Do you like it?? Im in my secong year of college trying to get a Civil Engineering degree . It is a lot more work than what I thought it would be . Didn't think there was so much involved in building roads and buildings . Personally I don't like the program because of all the math involved . They have a formula for everything . But I guess thats what you have to expect from Engineering.
muahhaah! just wait until u try and get zoning laws permits and talk to city about your designs figuruing out grades and figuring out pipes diameters city requirements man u have no idea! lol i am a surveyor and we have a P.E civil...................BTW what version of autocad are u using? we just got 2004 with softdesk for us...........:devil:

lil400exman
10-12-2003, 09:21 PM
also civil engineers make the big bucks too............well over 100 dollars an hour.........mech engineers can rarely top that..........also being in engineering cant get you chances to do some small time devolping........a friend of our we work with just did a flip on the property (just buy it then re-zone it) and made 350,000 dollars plus covering the inital purchase of the land...........you cant beat it.......here in ohio we have our eyes on a few peices of land that will be jumpin soon...........:macho

OhioRed
10-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Are you going to miss Halloween down there. Or do you just stay away beacuse they like to give out so many tickets down there.

Sorry for getting off topic.

I'll be down there again this year. If you haven't been to it i'd recommend getting there for it. The last couple of years the cops have been using a policy of staying at the edge of the crowd and not going in unless they see trouble, as opposed to arresting every drunk they see. so there have been alot less arrests/tickets and less fighting with the cops.

JLanphear
10-12-2003, 11:53 PM
My job title is Engineer, but I'm technically not one...I didn't even go to college. :o

jcv400ex
10-13-2003, 05:46 AM
Trained to be a mechanical engineer, but I went off to Sales engineering, should have never left the drawing table! I don't like sales! :D

swamprider7
10-13-2003, 06:31 AM
2nd year Mechanical Engineer at the University of Toledo!

KJ#14
10-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
also civil engineers make the big bucks too............well over 100 dollars an hour.........mech engineers can rarely top that..........also being in engineering cant get you chances to do some small time devolping........a friend of our we work with just did a flip on the property (just buy it then re-zone it) and made 350,000 dollars plus covering the inital purchase of the land...........you cant beat it.......here in ohio we have our eyes on a few peices of land that will be jumpin soon...........:macho

I work in our City's Engineering office as a CADD Tech/Draftsperson. I know our Civil Engineers make around 50 grand a year. What city do you live in that pays out over 200 grand a year:eek2: because I'm packing my stuff up and moving in with ya!!:D

jgray
10-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Not a Engineer, but am a Mech. Designer/Draftsman. So I work with quite a few Engineers. We use a CAD package called Pro-E. Its a Solid Modeling software. Good to see a post like this.. Talk to you guys later..

Jason

briantrx
10-13-2003, 07:45 AM
I work for a Civil Engineer, and have for 6 years, started as a land surveyor, but working my way up. am now a cad draftsman, survey crew manager. great area to get into, there will always be an need for developement. also dont worry about the math the computers do it all.

CowsBitePeople
10-13-2003, 08:59 AM
Petrolium Distrubution Engineere :p

Teufel
10-13-2003, 09:10 AM
B.S. in Manufacturing Engineering and a B.S. In Mechanical Engineering. Currently working on my MBA.
It's a great field and there are alot of opportunities if you are willing to relocate.:cool:

JLanphear
10-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Teufel
B.S. in Manufacturing Engineering and a B.S. In Mechanical Engineering. Currently working on my MBA.
It's a great field and there are alot of opportunities if you are willing to relocate.:cool:

You are just full of B.S. ;)

Teufel
10-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
You are just full of B.S. ;)

:D I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I 've been told that,

The most memorable quote is ; " you Engineers can draw an *** hole on paper but you can"t make it ****" :D

It helps to have a good sense of humor in this profession

wilkin250r
10-13-2003, 11:32 AM
I'm Electrical, I design custom magnetics. Most of my business goes to the big networking companies like Cisco Systems, and Extreme Networks.

UglyMotha™
10-13-2003, 11:37 AM
ENGINEER what is that :huh :confused:

mechanical :cool:

blackraptor16
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
6th Year Industrial Engineer major Building Construction Management minor with an emphasis in Land Surveying @ Purdue. On my way to become a registered Land Surveyor for the State of Indiana. Worked as a survey tech last summer during an internship - hope to do it again next summer. Was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I got to work on the Notre Dame Fieldhouse in South Bend, IN. Good field to get into! Fiance (briantrx) is in the field too.

Hey, it pays the bills - and then some :)

ATC83
10-13-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm not an engineer I'm an Architect but I deal with structural engineers on almost a daily basis.

10-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by swamprider7
2nd year Mechanical Engineer at the University of Toledo! you ever go riden anywhere in Holland? do you know Jesse Miller?

PHIL_B54
10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
my title says engineer, but ive just got a Asociate of Applied Science degree from a community college. basically that means that i am expected to do things a mechanical engineer does, but they dont really need to pay me for it :(
i do some drafting some design, improvement, and trouble shooting of tooling and machine parts. about 2 weeks ago i designed up some new tooling to make a new size chain. we make log chains, tire chains. if youve ever seen the vid of our troops pulling down the statue of sadam when we went into iraq. we're 90% sure that that is our chain.

10-13-2003, 09:47 PM
I went to school for audio engineering It has forked off into a design audio/video home theatre type thingy..:cool:

Quad18star
10-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Lil400exMan , We've already started with city laws and grades and all that BS . Right now i'm into the physics part of buildings and crap . Twisting and turning and shearing and blah blah blah . Basically the strength of materials and stuff . Last eyar I had to do a survey camp in the second semester . I swear id never wanan be one in my life . Now they show us all the electronical part of it this year . Like it was said . take shots and the computers do the rest . 2 weeks of surveying could ahve been done in 2 hrs. but i guess u gotta learn the basics. Around here most top engineers make about 75$ an hour . I'm debating whether to go to University or not . We're using CAD2004 and LDD ( land development desktop) . Last year i had 90% in CAD , this year ive slacked and I'm failing . Need a kick in the butt to get going again .

lil400exman
10-14-2003, 06:05 PM
well we are self employed group and here in dayton cinci columbus area its really booming and taking off.....we're hiring on left and right!:p

jja125
10-14-2003, 06:25 PM
bs in civil from penn state

right now i'm the project manager on a $17mil highway widening & bridge job on rt.22. being in construction sucks but it pays very well and has some nice perks. i have lots of toys but no time to play with them all and i'm moving around the state every two years or so when my jobs finish up and i get a new one. the hours suck especially this time of year. i've been here since 5am today and its now 8pm and i'm getting ready to go to my hotel and be back at 5 again tomorrow. make that 6 cause its raining like hell here tonight. and i pretty much have a permanent ulcer.

anyway, if you can get through school and you still like it you can earn a decent living and rarely have to worry about being out of a job. any of you guys going into construction management/highway const don't worry about the math & stuff like that. its mainly just accounting b.s. and managing people, DOT's, & subcontractors. doesn't really require a degree - best thing is experience - get an internship with a general contractor (not a DOT) if you can. personally, i liked the math in school, but the highest math i've used on the job to date is trig.

Teufel
10-15-2003, 07:09 AM
The problem with working in the manufacturing sector is you don't know from day to day when you have a job. When the Finance group decides that the bugget needs trimmed someone has to go. :(

atvrulz
10-15-2003, 07:38 AM
I'm a chemical Engineer.
Its a fun job and i only have to work 40 hours a week so i can spend the rest of my time fo wheelin. a good paying job too, so i can afford to race on sundays in the summer.

swamprider7
10-15-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
you ever go riden anywhere in Holland? do you know Jesse Miller?

I don't know Jesse. I have ridden at TNI quite a few times. I saw OutlawEX out there one day when his old quad still had the 400ex motor in it. Didn't realize it was him until I looked at his website and saw his quad. I live west of Toledo. I can almost see Radar's track from my house.

Blysster
10-15-2003, 04:56 PM
MCSE

400exBro
10-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Lil400exMan , We've already started with city laws and grades and all that BS . Right now i'm into the physics part of buildings and crap . Twisting and turning and shearing and blah blah blah . Basically the strength of materials and stuff . Last eyar I had to do a survey camp in the second semester . I swear id never wanan be one in my life . Now they show us all the electronical part of it this year . Like it was said . take shots and the computers do the rest . 2 weeks of surveying could ahve been done in 2 hrs. but i guess u gotta learn the basics. Around here most top engineers make about 75$ an hour . I'm debating whether to go to University or not . We're using CAD2004 and LDD ( land development desktop) . Last year i had 90% in CAD , this year ive slacked and I'm failing . Need a kick in the butt to get going again .

If you can make it into universty, do it!!!
if you go to college you will never get the same pay as a person who earned their degree in Universty. I have talked to several people who wished they would've made it to universty, becuase they make that much more, my uncle is an engineer for siemens, and he also told me to do universty becuase they will easily make over 100 000 a year.
i am currently at a universty level, but my physics is lacking, is there any were i can get some more help over the internet inorder to learn more indepth stuff and what not so i am ready for test and can bring my mark up to 80%+

phatswinn
10-15-2003, 07:02 PM
ill be going to RIT (rochester institute of technology) and skipping my senior year in high school because of my sat score last month (they made me take it after my 3 hour friggin iq test because i scored an 138) and im taking precion machining in wemoco because of the blueprint reading program. i dont think im going though i dont liek them rushing me like this its gay

Greg Z
10-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i was just accepted to college for engineering...

99.99% sure i'll go as mechanical but civil is my next choice...

so in 5 or 6 years i mayb designin the new honda:D

r u good at math and science

i wanna become a mechanical engineer but the thing is i suck in math and science but i did a test and they said i work on 3 dimentional things very well above average and on 2 d stuff i suck and a baby could do better :eek2:

Quad18star
10-15-2003, 08:09 PM
AHHHHHHHH, 3D is just as easy as 2D . except you got one more force which equals a few more equations . instead of X, Y you now have X, Y, Z. Better be good in math or else you'll struggle with it . Trust me I went into the worng course i had a 52% average in math comming outta highskewl .

Tommy 17
10-15-2003, 08:36 PM
i am extremly smart in math... i can do alg 2 in my head... physics is a blow off for me 2...

i'm already familiar with many cadd programs (4 years of cadd) i can use 2d and 3d programs with no problem...:macho

i'm goin in ahead of everyone else pretty much...

my math class this year is calculus... the highest my school offers us... and i find it pretty easy...

Tommy 17
10-15-2003, 08:40 PM
i gotta figure out how to post a picture of the house i am designing right now... its friggin huge... when u walk into it u go up a dual stair way... it splits one goes up and left and one goes up and right... above the stairs theres a walk away across the open area from them into the master bedroom/bath...

god i love designin houses my only problme is most of them would cost millions:p

do any of u have any back ground in inventor??? i am gonna start workin with it very soon for 3d mechanical...

for archtecture i'm running autocadd 2004 architectural desktop:macho

Quad18star
10-15-2003, 09:08 PM
My uncle used to have a program on his computer to design houses and stuff . I remember a few years back I used to play around on it and designed HUGE houses . AutoCAD is a little more complicated than that program was .

dbsbl1
10-15-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm a senior ME at Bradley University. Right now I'm doing my senior design project...it's pretty damn sweet. We're building a mini-forumla style race car from scratch. It's sponsored by the Society of Auto. Engineers and we'll compete against 140 schools from around the world in Detroit. We got to drive last year's car and it's unreal...

hollywood43
10-15-2003, 10:35 PM
BS and MS in computer science, which seemed like the thing to go into back in the early 90's. I'm an engineer doing troubleshooting, testing and support for telephone switches. But these days the industry just isn't heading in the same direction as it was back then. If I could do it over I'd probably be heading the mechanical engineering route myself.

Teufel
10-16-2003, 08:29 AM
What cad packages are you guys into - We use Pro-E for design work and autocad for floor layout ect. I have also used Solid works and solid edge. All good packages

ranger400ex
10-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Attended Tri-State Uni to study eng and play football on scholarship...wound up hurting knee second year and headed to Purdue, transferred to IUPUI to finish EE and business degree while working current job.
Started as Computer engineering, and ended up their boss.

Project Manager in Electronics industry...I think I am the only one who doesn't look like he touches himself at the site of a new IC or Chip. I am lucky for a mid 20's guy to be where I am at now.

Civil engineers are great....they seem to know whether you want fries with that or not.

Ben

ranger400ex
10-16-2003, 01:11 PM
dbsbl1

check out www.engr.iupui.edu/fl the car was myself and a few others brain child.. it would smoke a vet or stang, but with only the noise of tires squealing and RC car type motor noise. Nothing like changing 3500lbs of batteries in under 30sec. We ran alot of places, indy, phoenix, Orange county CA, Las Vegas, Salt Flats, etc. It was capable of shattering both half-shafts (military version hummer shafts) if you did not limit initial torque on the inverter. Wicked to drive, and even funner to race.

Ben

jja125
10-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex

Civil engineers are great....they seem to know whether you want fries with that or not.

Ben

dude, what's that supposed to mean?:huh

chad400ex
10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
The fries comment....just another pissing match between different engineering disciplines. The electrical boys don't get along with the civil and mechanical guys. At least they don't where I work.

Anyway...I'm a Civil/Structural engineer w/ BS and MS...no P.E. yet, but after 4 years I'll take the test. I work for BPA designing transmission towers, substation structures, and building facilities. It's a government job, so it's steady, and the wages we make are what the rest of the industry bases their salaries on... A civil engineeer (at least on the West Coast) is the lowest paid engineer...maybe that's where the fast food comment came from. But, that being said...when I retire, I'll be making over 6-figures. It's pretty tacky to talk about salaries...but I'm guessing most people on here are in High School and want to make the "big bucks". Being a mechanical or civil engineer will not make you rich, but it will provide a comfortable lifestyle. The real money is in the computer/electrical engineering, but....along with the higher salary is an unstable job market. There are lay-offs in that industry all of the time.

YLW400
10-16-2003, 06:10 PM
I am not an engineer, but an engineering technician for an aerospace company.....They make space suits there, which I have nothing to do with. lol I mess with composites mostly. Carbon Fiber and lots of glass. I do wet lay up with these things daily.The programs I work on are under "Space Inflatables".. I don't know if any of you all have heard of MER or Beagle? They are airbags that my company made to land on Mars..Pretty cool job.....We have amade a few UV curable wings for the University of Kentucky. They were actually flying them on a RC airplane a while back...

batgeek
10-16-2003, 06:20 PM
I think I am the only one who doesn't look like he touches himself at the site of a new IC or Chip.

HEY!!! d@mn it!!! i do that....makes me moist :D

Quad18star
10-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Chad400ex . A lot of my Professors have told us that we wont get rich out of this career , but like you said , they live a comfortable lifestyle . I guess the only way you can get rich out of it , is if you start up your own company or soemthing like that . I guess if you become a project manager you can make some good money . A girl i work with , her Father is the head engineering in designing a new mine shaft , and he's pulling in some good money . I'd say well over 150 000$ a year , but then again he hardly sees his family . Personally I don't want to be the person that has to design stuff . I'd rather work my 9-5 job , make a decent living , and go home not having to worry about if the building i just designed is gunna stand up or if that bridge we just built is going to collapse. I know here in Canada theres not much of a Job market for Civil Engineers , how is the market in the USA???

ATVer14
10-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Mechanical Engineering starting Fall 2004. Accepted to Purdue; U of Illinois, Bradley, and Marquette in the mail. Taking AP Calc. and Physics right now.

blackraptor16- How do you like Purdue? I was there on a visit a few weeks back and loved it.

dbsbl1- I'll be there on the 7-8 of November for the overnight thing. You know anything about that or are you involved in it?

blackraptor16
10-20-2003, 09:49 PM
ATVer14 - Purdue is great! :) Its a nice campus with great faculty. And of course, beyond academics, there are SO many things to do!!!:D

dbsbl1
10-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by ATVer14
Mechanical Engineering starting Fall 2004. Accepted to Purdue; U of Illinois, Bradley, and Marquette in the mail. Taking AP Calc. and Physics right now.

blackraptor16- How do you like Purdue? I was there on a visit a few weeks back and loved it.

dbsbl1- I'll be there on the 7-8 of November for the overnight thing. You know anything about that or are you involved in it?

Are you coming to scope out the campus? No, I'm not...but if you're going to visit Jobst Hall (where most of the engineers are) I may be. The forumla car is kind of the premier senior design project and they like to show it off. Is it a campus visit?

dbsbl1
10-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
dbsbl1

check out www.engr.iupui.edu/fl the car was myself and a few others brain child.. it would smoke a vet or stang, but with only the noise of tires squealing and RC car type motor noise. Nothing like changing 3500lbs of batteries in under 30sec. We ran alot of places, indy, phoenix, Orange county CA, Las Vegas, Salt Flats, etc. It was capable of shattering both half-shafts (military version hummer shafts) if you did not limit initial torque on the inverter. Wicked to drive, and even funner to race.

Ben

Ben, is that a battery powered car? Thats pretty cool chit. Ours is using an engine from a Honda CBR600. 700 lbs with 85 horses:eek2: It hauls balls

Rip_Tear
10-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Good luck with the engineering guys! I was going to take engineering but I would rather actually work with and build the parts then design them. I am taking CNC Technician, which has a bit of Tool and Die in it aswell. I am having a great time learning all this stuff.

I found Math, Phyic's and all that kinda stuff fairly easy, but I would rather work build the parts and have fun doing it then do a lot of calculations and paper work.

Just for those of you, or I remember atleast one person asked, if engineering is for them, if you like to work with your hands and actually build stuff, then not really. Sorry if I stepping on any toe's but engineers aren't the people who actually build the products.

Good luck all :D

enault
10-21-2003, 08:44 AM
BSME from Northern Illinois University. Engineering was the key to landing my dream job, design ATVs.

ATVer14
10-21-2003, 01:55 PM
dbsbl1- I've already been on a visit, but this overnight deal is something where we come out there and go to a few classes, stay in the dorms, and just see what a normal day is like there. I'll have to check out the formula car, I've seen U of I's, and they are really awesome.

blackraptor16- Awesome, I'm gonna be coming back soon for a longer visit, and maybe a football game!

spincr4hire
10-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Mechanical Design Engineer here...

wilkin250r
10-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Good luck with the engineering guys! I was going to take engineering but I would rather actually work with and build the parts then design them. I am taking CNC Technician, which has a bit of Tool and Die in it aswell. I am having a great time learning all this stuff.

I found Math, Phyic's and all that kinda stuff fairly easy, but I would rather work build the parts and have fun doing it then do a lot of calculations and paper work.

Just for those of you, or I remember atleast one person asked, if engineering is for them, if you like to work with your hands and actually build stuff, then not really. Sorry if I stepping on any toe's but engineers aren't the people who actually build the products.

Good luck all :D

I beg to differ. In most applications I've seen, whether mechanical or electrical, the companies ENCOURAGE engineers to get their hands dirty. Easily half of my time is spent in the lab actually building prototypes. For mechanical engineering, usually you design something, give the plans to somebody to build, but YOU are the one that gets to test it, and make improvements.

Imagine if you were designing A-arms. If you're the engineer, you design it, give the plans to a welder to build it real quick, and then YOU get to put it on your quad and test ride it. If you're the welder, do you think you'd get to test drive?

400exBro
10-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I beg to differ. In most applications I've seen, whether mechanical or electrical, the companies ENCOURAGE engineers to get their hands dirty. Easily half of my time is spent in the lab actually building prototypes. For mechanical engineering, usually you design something, give the plans to somebody to build, but YOU are the one that gets to test it, and make improvements.

Imagine if you were designing A-arms. If you're the engineer, you design it, give the plans to a welder to build it real quick, and then YOU get to put it on your quad and test ride it. If you're the welder, do you think you'd get to test drive?

exactly that is why i want to be an mechaincal engineer.
but my only problem is physics, could someone please tell me a website were i am able to get more help with physics?

wilkin250r
10-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
but my only problem is physics, could someone please tell me a website were i am able to get more help with physics?

I bet you'll find BASIC physics (i.e. projectile problems, possibly basic friction problems) but I doubt you'll find any help in engineering physics.

You can email me questions if you'd like wilkin250r@msn.com and I'll try to help with specific problems...

400exBro
10-21-2003, 03:50 PM
right now it is basics, i am still in highschool, i am not doing to well in it right now, i need at least an 85% + average inorder to get into universty, college is a little lower, but that is right dead last resort. Universty students get paid a lot more up here in Canada!

Teufel
10-21-2003, 03:50 PM

Hey Bro, learn your Physics well , it is the key to everything.
Search for a book by the name of "Understanding Physics" it makes for a great tutorial. I will look to see who the author or publisher is and let you know. Also do a search on the web there are alot of good sites out there.

wilkin250r
10-21-2003, 04:02 PM
I realize that teachers and courses vary, some teachers are easy, while others don't explain well, ect.

However, on average, if you're struggling through physics, you might want to re-think you're career field. Physics is a HUGE part of mechanical engineering...

cody anderson
10-21-2003, 04:03 PM
I am a pneumatic and hydraulic engineer, and degree for robtics and electronics.

Quad18star
10-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Ya if you have the slightest doubt with your physics , you might wanan get help and understand it before you jump into Engineering . I was fairly good in physics in highschool and had an awesome teacher . He wrote a physics book for a University . If I could go back into highschool , knowing the physics I know now , I could prolly get 100% in the class . It's amazing how much physics there really is in Engineering . Math class has physics , CAD has a lot of physics , even my english has physics in it soemtimes ( writing reports) .

400exBro
10-21-2003, 07:09 PM
ya deffently tell me the author of the book, i would be intersted in reading it.
i just started physics, so we are one month and 1/2 into it, i had a couple goof ups were i knew what is was doing. I understand what is going on, but when it comes to test and occansionly lab reports, something goes wrong and i end up doing something totally different. I am thinking it is the lack of studying, but i am starting to write ever formula down plus other important info and going to pin it to the wall. so if i ever stare at the wall i will stare at the info.
any other tips out there. I deffently want to be an engineer, i love designing and seeing how to improve things here and there, this is deffently what i can see myself doing, i am very technicaly orinented, but when it comes to theory it may take me a little longer.

Quad18star
10-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Theres a book called " Statics and Strength of Materials" by Kokernack and someone else ( books in my car right now) . Its basically a structural steel book that helps you to figure out problems about moments and tensions and so on . Lotta helpful tips and step by step of how to resolve the problems . The book cost me $140

dbsbl1
10-21-2003, 09:57 PM
ya deffently tell me the author of the book, i would be intersted in reading it.
i just started physics, so we are one month and 1/2 into it, i had a couple goof ups were i knew what is was doing. I understand what is going on, but when it comes to test and occansionly lab reports, something goes wrong and i end up doing something totally different. I am thinking it is the lack of studying, but i am starting to write ever formula down plus other important info and going to pin it to the wall. so if i ever stare at the wall i will stare at the info.
any other tips out there. I deffently want to be an engineer, i love designing and seeing how to improve things here and there, this is deffently what i can see myself doing, i am very technicaly orinented, but when it comes to theory it may take me a little longer.

I hope this helps you instead of inspiring less effort...When I took HS physics I struggled too. When I got to eng. physics, I did really well. I did have an excellent teacher for eng. physics and I'm sure that made a huge difference. College does have advantages that HS doesn't have, for example, it's easier to form study groups, it's a lot easier to talk to the teachers, etc. Don't be discouraged by struggling with HS physics. Stick with it...it'll come.

400exBro
10-22-2003, 05:12 AM
the only problem is that if i can't get the grades, i won't make it into the universty. I am just going to have to book down and work hard, if i have to i will take it again next semster.

Teufel
10-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey BRo , check this book out " Understanding Physics by ISAAC ASIMOV ISBN 0-88029-251-2 Read it and re-read it.

Don't worry it sounds like you have the desire and the ability, remember there are different levels of success in every career,
"when the current is flowing against you , you just have to swim harder.

Also the University Status will only carry you so far, so don't give up on your career path just because you don't get accepted to a major university.

Now go study your PHYSICS !!!!!! :grr:

wilkin250r
10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
If it's truly what you want to do, stick with it, even if you don't understand it all the way. When you get into a university, you may have a great teacher that will explain it better, and although the background from HS physics helps, it's not totally necessary. In college, they will go faster, but you still start at the ground level, forces, mass, acceleration...

froride1
10-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Design Engineer with a Mechanical Engineering degree, almost finished with a Masters in ME. My time is split between CAD design using Pro-E, building prototypes, and testing. My boss really values engineers with hands on practicle knowledege. When he hired me he said he was looking for engineers with hands on hobbies quads, dirtbikes, MT bikes, sportscars not guys that play chess all weekend. He feels that practicle know how is as important as book smarts.

For help with physics try a Schaum's outline. They make them for every subject and they are cheap about $20. I used a bunch of them as an undergrad.

jtej
10-22-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm a freshman at Univ. of Louisville and am working on getting a masters in mechanical engineering. right now i'm taking all the general requirement classes. I can't wait till i actually get into the engineering parts especially the CAD part. i would like to focus on CAD drawing and mechanical drawing. anyone else do this? do you like it? who do you work for? what else should i focus on? any other suggestions to relieve the suffering would be greatly appreciated.

Quad18star
10-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Right now I'm doing work with AutoCAD 2004 and Land Developement Desktop . I got 90% in my first year of CAD and this year I'm struggling to understand it . All it takes is one little mistake or you miss one thing and you're sorta screwed if you don't catch up . LDD is totally easy though . What took us about 2 weeks to survey and calculate could ahve been done in about 2 minutes with LDD . Awesome program !!

Rip_Tear
10-22-2003, 03:08 PM
When I took phyics I just wrote down everything we did in class, if it went up on the board, it was in my notes... And I found that just writing down the whole step to solving problems helped a lot too, like if I couldn't get an answer, I would just copy my friends work read though it a bunch of times, then go back and try and do it after a few days. Rewriting formulas to solve for different variables helped too. Even just writing the equations needed for a problem helps out. :D

Good luck!

jtej
10-22-2003, 03:10 PM
right now i have AutoCAD 2000 and can do anything in 2D but have yet to learn anything in 3D. i more or less taught myself about AutoCAD so far. i would like to mess with some solid works software to see what it can do.

400exBro
10-22-2003, 03:50 PM
thanks a lot for the help.
i talked to my teacher and he gave me a site that i can check up on and learn from, www.physicsclassroom.com
any thanks for your help, and i can't wait to get started going some work as a mechanical engineer( still a while away).