PDA

View Full Version : Beadlock Wheel Question???

mthomas
10-11-2003, 08:26 PM
I just purchased a set of rear beadlock wheels (Burgards). I had my ITP Holeshot XC's mounted on the new beadlock wheels by a local shop. Before I even had the opportunity to mount them on my 400EX, one of them lost air pressure (until flat). After refilling with air, I dunked it in a tub of water and found the air to be leaking from one spot on the beadlock side. I grabbed my torque wrench and torqued all of the bolts equally to 110 IN-LBS and now it leaks worse and more specifically around the bolt holes. I am new to beadlock wheels, what am I doing wrong? I appreciate any responses.

Pappy
10-11-2003, 08:29 PM
if its leaking in one spot from the tire id try spining the tire a bit on the rim and re-setting the bead. thats exactly what happened on my front billet beadlock and it solved my problem.

if its leaking from a weld then either silcone the weld or contact burgard or the place you bought them from.

mthomas
10-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for your help Pappy! What is the best method for tightening the beadlock bolts (pattern) and how much torque? The guy at Burgards just said snug them up. The bolts seemed to be pretty loose to me, maybe 80-90 in-lbs at best. Also, how critical is the alignment of the tire bead and the outer diameter of the beadlock ring? The way mine where installed, I have at least a 4MM difference in some areas. I believe the guy lining up the beadlock side of the tire could have done a better job. What do you think? Thanks again.

Chanman420q
10-12-2003, 07:43 PM
take it back to the place and tell them that this one wasnt sealed all the way.

Pappy
10-12-2003, 07:43 PM
the ring and tire should be centered perfectly on the rim. if the tire isnt centered it will leak..lol

if there is an issue with the acual rim then you should be contacting burgrad.

i dont use a torque wrench...but i do use a cross pattern when tightening

10-13-2003, 07:57 AM
My front beadlocks hold air fine..my rears go flat within a days time.:mad: I've busted them down, moved the tire and reseat the bead..still no luck.. I'll just add air befor a race i guess..:o

Pappy
10-13-2003, 08:01 AM
rico you need solid rubber tires i think:devil:

10-13-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
rico you need solid rubber tires i think:devil:

They're on order....:o

YLW400
10-13-2003, 08:29 AM
My Holeshot MX's did the same thing...What kinda pressure are you guys running in them? I run mine at 11psi, and they don't leak anymore....

muff
10-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
the ring and tire should be centered perfectly on the rim. if the tire isnt centered it will leak..lol

if there is an issue with the acual rim then you should be contacting burgrad.

i dont use a torque wrench...but i do use a cross pattern when tightening

ditto this is what I do

mine were leakin, the first time the tire wasnt centered, the second time it was cause my tire had a leak, got a new tire and now holds air fine

as for 11 psi seems hard, all depends what track you are running, yesterday at southwick i ran 6 in the rears but if i'm on a hard track i'll run 7

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/pda2c77c840103def743e1f940ff1aa7c/fbbef51c.jpg

nastynotchback1
10-14-2003, 08:21 PM
i am with rico.my brand new douglas beadlocks and holeshot mx fronts leak down after about a week so i just fill before i race or ride.i have a silicone issue that will be resolved when the tires wear out.as far as air pressure i run 11-13 in the front and 7-10 in the rear depending on track condition