PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil after break in

EvilEwok
10-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Okie Dokie, im stupid, and im not that very well informed about changing oil, and im stupid, so yea I need to know if I need a special tool of some sort to put the drain plug back on or not? Can I just use a regular socket? or something? Please help!

10-11-2003, 07:58 PM
yes aregular socket will work

quadrider400
10-12-2003, 09:54 AM
It is best to make sure that the original washer is in place and use a torque wrench to avoid stripping out the threads....
and yes you should change the oil and filter (if it has one) after break in....

ReconRider25
10-12-2003, 07:41 PM
put a new crush washer on everytime you change the oil. i found this out the hard way....much easier to strip the treads with an old crush washer.

JOEX
10-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Look int the FAQ section for info about the crush washers......
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74677

Also, there are two bolts that need to be removed when changing the oil. The one on the bottom of the oil tank and the one near the shift lever.

Use a torque wrench when tightening the bolts.

Just in case, here is the procedure for checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:

Checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:
1. Make sure the vehical is on level ground.
2. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let it idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperatures is below 10*C (50*F), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (atotal of 10 minutes).
3. Stop the engine.
4. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil level should be between the upper level mark and the lower level mark on the dipstick.
6. If required, add the specified oil into the filler cap hole, up to the upper level mark on the dipstick. Do not over fill.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap dipstick.

CAUTION:
Running the engine with the improper oil level can cause serious engine damage.

hondapunk
10-18-2003, 04:45 PM
They tell you all this crap when you buy a new machine. lol I thought I was the only one that didn't listen!!:D