PDA

View Full Version : Tall 400EX Rider

K400EX&A250EX
02-05-2002, 01:32 AM
Have any of you tall 400EX riders made any modifications such as raising the handlebars, lowering the pegs, or putting on a Hi-Flite Desert Seat? I love my new 400EX...but at 6'2"...I sit a little low on it. When I stand up, I feel like the bars are WAY down there. I do not race mx or xc or anything and instead ride a lot of desert trails and dunes, so I can afford to give up a little performance for comfort.

Handlebars: I know they make extended aftermarket steering rods, but I believe they run about $300 and I'd prefer not to pay quite that much. Have any of you found mounts that sit up a couple of inches...or deeper handlebars?

Pegs: Do they make lowered pegs for the 400EX? It appears that the shift and brake levers can be adjusted.

Seat: Hi-Flite makes a "Desert" seat that is 2 1/2 higher than the stock seat. Does anyone have one of these? I don't think I could raise the seat without raising the bars at the same time.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Tommy 17
02-05-2002, 02:08 PM
get high bars and put the 3/4 inch top clamp on them... then get ac pro peg nerfs lowers the peg 1 inch and moves it back one inch...

400exRacerX
02-05-2002, 02:54 PM
I am 6'2" too and I actually run the tag x-5 cr low bend handle bars. I have no problems with the way the bike is setup.

Tommy 17
02-05-2002, 03:22 PM
i am 6'1 and just renthal bars fit me fine... the stock bars i hated them...

400exRacerX
02-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Yeah I hate the stock handle bars too, the bend sucks, the sweep sucks, and the quality really sucks.

Nausty
02-05-2002, 09:59 PM
I would try a more agresive handle bar instead of trying to raise it first and I would suggest the ac racing nerfs not only cuz of the fact that it lowers and moves it back but its also a safety feature.

Chef
02-05-2002, 10:12 PM
The pro pegs dont move your pegs...unless you install them with the black peg things that hook to the frame upside down...

SGA
02-06-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
The pro pegs dont move your pegs...unless you install them with the black peg things that hook to the frame upside down...

According to my measurments it moves them 1 inch up & 3/8 back. Don't get them if you got long legs like me. You can flip the mounts over to put them lower than stock, but then the mounts hang down below the frame, just waiting to hook on something. If i got another set of nerfs i'd get some that bolt to the stock pegs. Also the stock handle bars blow for tall people, get a set of aftermarket bars. I run the renthal fourtraxx bend (250r bend) bars & like them a lot. Their a little higher & a little more swept back so you don't have to stoop down to the bars.

Chef
02-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the correction sgaexer, that is kind of weird that move them up, though, dont you think? that would make for a higher center of gravity...

EXfireguy
02-07-2002, 08:38 AM
Well at 6' 4" I have adapted nicely to this quad. No geometry changes on mine and things are going very smooth. Good Luck and take care.
Chip:)

Tommy 17
02-07-2002, 01:10 PM
mayb its the old dg pro pegs that move it down 1 back 1... dunno i know one of them does...

400MXer
02-07-2002, 01:20 PM
I didn't notice any movement on my propegs...they stayed in the exact same place.

and i don't think you would want your pegs lower....that would put them lower to the ground and they would get hung up on things.

I'm 6'1" and i like low handlebars.....I've got monkey long arms and it's really comfortable to me.

400exRacerX
02-07-2002, 01:23 PM
Same with me like I said I'm 6'2" and I like low handle bars, I prefer the cr low bend handle bars over the cr high bends.

PsychoDave
02-07-2002, 05:03 PM
i am 6-3 and i use moose bars....they are tall and feel great...i have dg pro peg nerfs.....the quad fits me great now. the bars made the biggest difference. I ride very agressive and have not had any problems with the tall bars...i have taken a few spills and the bars didnt move or bend.....i did have to mod the clamps though so the bars were clamped tighter.

02-07-2002, 05:32 PM
I'm 6'2" and I have no problem with the geometry of the bike. I do have Pro Taper bars and they feel great. I'm not sure how long you have had your bike but i'm sure you will get use to the feel.

Nausty
02-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 400MXer
I didn't notice any movement on my propegs...they stayed in the exact same place.

and i don't think you would want your pegs lower....that would put them lower to the ground and they would get hung up on things.

I'm 6'1" and i like low handlebars.....I've got monkey long arms and it's really comfortable to me.

I don't really think you would have to worry about it hanging up because if it is one inch lower than that isn't really that much compared to the fact that the pegs are at the highest part of the bottem side of the quad and do the stock heel kicks go lower than the pegs?

generalg
02-07-2002, 09:51 PM
I think I have everyone beat that has replied on this thread. I stand @ 6'6" tall. My 99 ex has the CR Renthal bars installed, I also have the AC propegs. I can't complain one bit. I also have an R as you can see from my signature. The EX feels better beings it is a bit taller than my R which doesn't fit me as good, but I have a blast riding either quad.

SGA
02-09-2002, 03:48 PM
I made a mistake. I said in a above post propegs raise the pegs 1 inch & 3/8 back. After remeasuring, mine are 1/4 inch higher & 1/4 inch back more than stock.

K400EX&A250EX
02-09-2002, 06:47 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the replies and the help. I've got some ideas now that I can work from. The one thing that I DIDN'T mention in my original post is that I have TWO bad knees (not from riding)...and that is part of what makes it so hard to get up off the seat when I need to. I really like the setup and feel of the bike when I'm sitting, but it is just really hard to stand up when I am sitting so low. That's why I am seriously thinking about getting a Hi-Flite Desert Seat which sits 2 1/2 inches higher. I think with the higher seat and bars that sit up a little higher as well...I'll be fine. Thanks again!

VegasEx'r
02-10-2002, 12:13 AM
I'm about 6'-4", and all I have done is switched to a 1/2" taller handlebar. The sticker that was on the bars said it was an ATV bend-tall. I also rotated them forward so that now they are just about vertical (hope that makes sense). I really like the feel of them & I have plenty of leg room, too. BTW, I thought the stock bars were terrible.

PhilMoore
02-17-2002, 10:43 PM
I think I have a solution for you guys.

Check these out:

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/bar_riser.cfm

My neighbor makes these things. I just went riding with him today, and the Bomb in the pics is his quad. He uses those risers, and he does 90' jumps with his DS. He has no problems at all.

My friend Josh also uses the risers on his 400EX, and a set of 3" risers on his sled.

I personally do not have them, but I am seriously thinking about getting a set. You can adjust your bars forward, back up down. They are really a neat gadget.

02-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Well after seeing everyone else say how tall they are I feel like I should say that I am 6'4" and don't have a problem with my quad.

leel
02-18-2002, 07:53 PM
I'm 6', 6" also, and my son's 400ex feels good to me with stock bars and pegs. I might like to try one with a taller seat just to see though... If any one have changed their seat to taller foam, how did you like it?

Thanks,
Lorrin

Nausty
02-18-2002, 08:54 PM
we have just gotten tag t-5 handle bars with the cr hi bend. It is lower than the stock bars but they are farther forward and straiter. I LOVE THEM. I am just shy of 6ft but i'm growing still I thought the stock bars were to cramped but these bars are more aggresive. Ever when sitting I like it way more. I didn't think I was gonna like it and I would be leaning over the bars but I think its awsome. Just try to sit on a 400ex with some of the aggressive handle bars. You might like them;)

PsychoDave
02-19-2002, 09:18 AM
i ordered the tag bars but with the spacer that adds 3/4 of an inch....I will post pics when i get done with it