PDA

View Full Version : R-4 jetting & and other ?'s

Sprttrx400ex
10-11-2003, 04:41 PM
I put on the R-4 slip-on. I put in a Dj160 main jet and the Djneedle with the clip on the 4th notch from the top. I turned the mixture screw out 3 turns. I left the stock pilot in.
I noticed the pipe was popping at high RPM. I put in a Dj165 main jet. It got a little better, but still pops a bit. I then moved the clip down a notch on the needle(richer). It ran like crap. It studdered and cut out alot. So I then put it on the 3rd notch from the top. The needle is now perfect, but I am not sure about everything else. So as it stand my jetting is:

Dj165 main jet
Dj needle 3rd notch.... perfect
stock pilot (do I need to change this?)
and ive been experimenting with the mixture screw from 2.5-3.5 turns out, but didn't notice a difference.

Also, I noticed that the engine has been making a "knocking" noise since the jetting, and the "swirl" noise that the 400 makes has gotten louder. I went to check the oil and for some reason it was filled up all the way. The last time I put oil in it I checked it and it was at the right level. It almost seems like the oil isn't getting to the engine, but im not sure.

If you can help me out in anyway, that would be great.

Thanks

Sprttrx400ex
10-12-2003, 06:16 PM
bump