PDA

View Full Version : problem with the kid that bought my 4 wheeler

JUSTINcredible
10-11-2003, 03:21 PM
alright heres the deal, last week i sold my blaster, hadnt drivin it in about 2 weeks then he came and drove it and liked it and everything worked great, 5 monthes ago i had just got a bunch of motor work done and i havent had a problem with it since. Then today i talk to him on msn and he tells me that he wants his money back and is dropping it off tomorrow, because he blew 2 head gaskets.

what should I do.???

this thing ran great before so i dunno?

Sportrax10
10-11-2003, 03:23 PM
I would refuse to give your money back. Its his problem if he blew it up. Show him how to get it fixed too.

hondafox440
10-11-2003, 03:25 PM
As long as you sold it to him with a bill of sale, and it stated that it was in "as is" condition, and no warranty, then he has nothing legal against you. You are not liable.

CHAUNCY
10-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Did you give him any type of warranty ? I personally wouldnt refund all his money. He bought it used, the whole engine could have blown the day after he bought it or a year after. Theres a chance you take when you buy a quad or bike used. Maybe help him fix it ?

ralph2
10-11-2003, 03:33 PM
I sold a guy my banshee and a week later one of the maifolods was cracked and i just gave him the money for it...

JUSTINcredible
10-11-2003, 03:33 PM
I told him the day he bought it that if he had any problems give me a call and i would help him fix it, but i guess he doesnt want that:confused:

Toadz400
10-11-2003, 03:34 PM
take it back, fix it up, and run him over:mad:

don't give him his money back, it's his problem he blew the head gaskets, he was probably running it way too hard or something like that, or just highly inexperienced with how to ride properly.

JUSTINcredible
10-11-2003, 03:44 PM
he even told me he didnt know how to drive it yet when i talked to him

batgeek
10-11-2003, 03:46 PM
the motor work was done 5 months ago? how much did you ride it before you sold it?

if the motor work was suspect, your engine would have shown signs within that 5 months depending on how much it was ridden before you sold it.

if it was fine those 5 months, the fault all lies in the kid you sold the bike to.

JUSTINcredible
10-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
the motor work was done 5 months ago? how much did you ride it before you sold it?

if the motor work was suspect, your engine would have shown signs within that 5 months depending on how much it was ridden before you sold it.

if it was fine those 5 months, the fault all lies in the kid you sold the bike to.

i raced it atleast once a week and even a few weeks 3 diffrent races in one week

batgeek
10-11-2003, 03:50 PM
then the kid broke it...

10-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Its not that hard to fix.

No Warrenty = No liability.

Funk him:macho :mad:

ex kid
10-11-2003, 04:23 PM
his problem not urs.

10-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by batgeek

if it was fine those 5 months, the fault all lies in the kid you sold the bike to. definatly...if a head gasket is going to blow becuase of faulty motor work or something doen while it was apart...it would blow the firs time you ride it hard (beleive me ive been through a lot of head gaskets) the idiot kid probably washed it after a long ride and sprayed the engine..saw it steam and said HEY COOL..and kept spraying it...then he prolly warped the head

chucked
10-11-2003, 05:04 PM
unless you stated that there was a warranty and it is in writing, he has nothing. He needs proof in writing, unless you will accept the return. If I were you I would have the police be there when he comes to bring it back in case he tries anything smart. He cant do anything unless you stated in writing a warranty. Even if you said "give me a call and i would help him fix it" You can say you never said it.

Guy400
10-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Whenever you buy something used you're purchasing it WITHOUT a warranty unless the seller explicitly states there's one. My opinion is as soon as it's loaded into someone elses truck you no longer own it therefore you're no longer responsible for repairs. If it ran 5 months without a problem and it apparently ran for at least a week under this kid's ownership than it was fine. Tell this kid you're not giving him any money back whatsoever. He's got no legal case against you, I wouldn't even sweat it. Does this kid know you've got to fill the oil injector reservoir everytime you fill it with gas?

When I sold my LT1 Z28 the kid who bought it from me called me 3 weeks later and said, "You know the left front fog light is out? The Chevy dealer wants $53 for one light so are you going to pay for it?"

My answer: "No" <click>

Out_Sider
10-11-2003, 05:16 PM
dont give him his money back!!!! my 300ex broke the day after i got it, i only paid 1300 for it(1995 model) but it needed some mods any way, and all that was wrong was a bent valve...so we took the expensive way and spent 800 on new exhaust and all new head(pretty much)

VIC
10-11-2003, 05:34 PM
How many head gasket does the blaster have? you said he blew 2.

Chanman420q
10-11-2003, 05:42 PM
tell em to take a hike.

AtvMxRider
10-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
he even told me he didnt know how to drive it yet when i talked to him

It's his problem. Chances are not knowing how to ride is why he blew the head gaskets. I wouldn't give him his money back.

Glow Plug
10-11-2003, 05:48 PM
he can go fack himself :eek:

but yeah just say its his now, no longer your responsablity (sp?)

GoLikeHell
10-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Alot depends on his age! In Michigan you are not supposed to sell any motor vehicle to a minor. You could be forced to take the bike back if your state has that law (even if he admits he did something wrong). I always sell cars or bikes to the parents so there is no problems like this.

Check your state law

Mark

CowsBitePeople
10-11-2003, 07:05 PM
*** him dont givehim his money back his fault like everyone else said

flyin#5
10-11-2003, 07:06 PM
tell him you will do what you said and help him fix it. dont pay for it. if he dosnt like that tell him to eat a d!ck.

Chanman420q
10-11-2003, 07:22 PM
tell him if he can drop it off but he isnt getting his money back:p

Toadz400
10-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
tell him if he can drop it off but he isnt getting his money back:p

i like that one:p

then fix it and sell it back to him for full price again:blah:

Juggalo
10-11-2003, 09:17 PM
he bought it, its his responsibility. if its broken its his problem. if he wants to drop it off thats fine, but you don't have to give him his money back, nor should you. tell him if he doesn't want it thats fine but hes not getting his money back.

310Rduner
10-11-2003, 09:23 PM
He bought it, it is no longer legally yours, you have no fault in it.

And if he wants you to help him fix it, tell him you will but he is buying the parts, and your hourly rate is $50.00.:p

steveatv3
10-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Dude

The same thing happend with my KX125 but it was like 5hr after he took it home, he said that i sold it with out an air filter, and that the brake cables were ripped, and how he was gonna sew me for sellin him somethin dangerous

I said hey u road it at my house i didnt force u to buy it, and i raced the thing, why would i race on riped cables??? and i said that its not mine no more , and i dont know what u did to it, he said he was gonna come back and drop it in my yare, i said thats fine but im still keeping my money!!!!!

10-11-2003, 09:41 PM
alright heres the deal, last week i sold my blaster, hadnt drivin it in about 2 weeks then he came and drove it and liked it and everything worked great, 5 monthes ago i had just got a bunch of motor work done and i havent had a problem with it since. Then today i talk to him on msn and he tells me that he wants his money back and is dropping it off tomorrow, because he blew 2 head gaskets.

what should I do.???

this thing ran great before so i dunno?

are you crazy? you legally do not have to give him his money back, just help him out, you cant warranty it, most dealers dont warranty a used quad, how do you know he didnt mess it up himself

10-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by GoLikeHell
Alot depends on his age! In Michigan you are not supposed to sell any motor vehicle to a minor. You could be forced to take the bike back if your state has that law (even if he admits he did something wrong). I always sell cars or bikes to the parents so there is no problems like this.

Check your state law

Mark

true, in ny im pretty sure i cant sell anyone a bike or quad or anything if there under 18, if i do and the kid complains he can get his money back and im forced to give it back and i have to take w/e it is back, u gotta sell to a adult

JUSTINcredible
10-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by GoLikeHell

Check your state law

Mark

the kid paid for it with his money, but the dad signed for it.

10-11-2003, 09:48 PM
the kid paid for it with his money, but the dad signed for it.

then your good legally, the dad is saying its his, the kid just handed ut he money

JTRtrx250r
10-11-2003, 10:07 PM
its an air -cooled motor and chances are he jumped on it and started puddle-jumpin'...just about every noob Ive ever seen has done that and thats how you can warp an air-cooled head,if you really feel like helping him,get him the head gasket and send him on his way,..or fix it and charge him an hour labor,even if it takes 10 mins to fix...a shop would charge him an hour minimum anyway,....its been 5 months...he's nuts,tell him he'd be extremely lucky to get that,...and dont take no chit!!

chucked
10-11-2003, 10:10 PM
ok JUSTINcredible, I think you get at what EVERYONE here is trying to tell you. Right???

quadrider400
10-11-2003, 10:35 PM
:grr: Not your issue... he bought it used he trashed it.... his issue...:huh

JUSTINcredible
10-12-2003, 10:29 AM
oh yea i get what everyone is saying;)

his 4 wheeler, not mine
his blown head gasket, not mine

thanks for the input:macho

Guy400
10-12-2003, 10:46 AM
I, personally, would not offer to help repair this quad. This kid sounds like a real PITA and if you were to replace the head gasket and it blows again in all likelihood he'd blame you and expect compensation again. Just walk completely away from this deal.

Tommy 17
10-12-2003, 02:45 PM
i agree with guy...

DO NOT TOUCH THE QUAD!!!!

thats why i won't work on anyone elses bikes... if u were to screw up the motor when ur puttin that back together... ur payin for it... and when it comes apart down the road hes gonna say it was ur fault... therefore ur liable...

tell him its not ur problem and to get lost...

JUSTINcredible
10-12-2003, 03:33 PM
well its 4:30 now and i havent heard from him so maybe he got the point when i told him what was up.

quadfamily
10-12-2003, 11:45 PM
did you sell it to a stranger or a friend? I'd say: Stranger=his problem, friend=help him fix it.

400exbiggun
10-13-2003, 08:56 AM
sorry, but did i miss something...it blew 2 head gaskets?, so it blew one, then who replaced it? with new topends, the head bolts on my blaster always seemed to work loose, he could have rode it too hard, blew the first, and the second was never tight?

any way why would you complain, if you looked the quad over right then there should be nothing to complain about. I bought a blaster off ebay, the guy never said what was wrong with it, but it was a 3hr drive, and the bike had no brakes and was missing stuff...but i feel the second you give them the money it is yours.
dont do anything, there are ppl like that i sold a kx80 to a kid, it ran great, never fouled a plug, a week later he complains to me about how it fouls plugs...i tried to help him but for some reason he never responded again...hahahah:devil:

Moded86R
10-14-2003, 10:13 PM
I sold a 1990 blaster to a freind of mine.I had just replaced the swingarms bearings,new top end,new carb,New reeds,New wheels and tires all the way around.I rode it everynight for I know 3 months.Jumping it crazy heights.(I was jumping about 8 foot of the ground and landing flat.)I never had a problem with it.I also bought a new brake cable for the rear and adjusted it right and got all the brakes to work good.

Anyway I never had a problem with it.I sold it way to cheap.I think it was 1200 bucks.(The bike was low hours when I bought it and I did was make it nicer)I go back a month later and the bike is sitting outside.The transmission locked up,The new tires flat the front break cables broken.The rear brake cable all messed up.Everything I had done was ruined.

I ended up taking the motor out and having the transmission rebuilt and putting it back togother.I delivered to an auction where it sold for 1200 bucks even though the brakes didn't work and the tires held air for an hour or two.

Woody_YFZ
10-15-2003, 01:38 AM
I own a rental company and a guy called me the night I sent the rental out and said that the bike wouldn't run, just after I drove it onto the trailer, so I drive out there and pull start it (this is after he said he already tried that). Turns out it's flooded. In most cases, it's something they did and I wouldn't make it my problem if I were you. You never know what they did to it.

Braff1
10-15-2003, 03:22 AM
overall that is the risk of buying something used. If you look it over, test ride it, and lay your money down any problems that may develop are now Your problem.

joeroadking
10-15-2003, 05:22 AM
I always sell atvs as is as seen with no guarentee written or implied. I put this right on the bill of sale and have the buyer who must be 18 and a witness(typically a friend)and myself sign if the will not sign then thats okI will sell it to the next guy, well that said if the guy is a friend or lives around the block then I would tell him if he pays for the gasket you will fix it , it should take no more than a 1/2 hour on air cooled two stroke anyway, but by no means you are under no obligation to do it, some times you have to weigh what it is all worth / hmm.. half hour labor/ or worring that this guy is going to do somethimg stupid (damage something of yours)to you because in his ignorant little mind he is right.so you have to weigh the kid as well as the deal.or you could give him back half his money and fix quad and keep for resell just a thought.:confused: on second thought TELL HIM TO GO FLY A KITE HA LOL !!

Quad18star
10-15-2003, 08:29 AM
I know how much it sucks to buy something and soon after you have to wrench on it . When I bought one of my old bikes a few years ago , the guy said everythign was fine , 3 weeks later it cost me close to 2000$ to put a completely new engine in it . Crank had let go and screwed everything . Felt like killing the guy but it's my fault for not checking it out first . Tell the kid it's tough luck but thats what happens when you buy used stuff.

stace609
10-15-2003, 08:42 AM
good thing you had the dad invloved, if not, anyone under 18 can get out of a contract. even if they cause damages they could return the item, get their money back, and not pay for the damages. sucks huh? by law, you didn't know anything was wrong with it, so you can't be responsible, it's not like you lied to get him to buy it. you don't owe anyone anything. congratualtions, the law actually worked in your favor:cool:

cody anderson
10-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Get him a new head gasket and tim him to fugure out why it's blowing them. If he dosn't like that... tell him to drop it off again but he won't get his money back...

JUSTINcredible
10-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by cody anderson
Get him a new head gasket and tim him to fugure out why it's blowing them. If he dosn't like that... tell him to drop it off again but he won't get his money back...

i orderd him a new head gasket but the kid has been nothing but a complete a$* to me so he is on his own, ill just keep the gasket and give it to willy or nick

wilkin250r
10-15-2003, 02:14 PM
I would NOT fix it for him. This kid sounds like the kind of person that will point a finger at anyone. If you replace the head gasket, and he blows up the motor right as he's going off a jump and gets injured, he'll come after you for the faulty repair, hospital bills, ect...

They test drove it, they bought it. There are legal actions they can take if you withold information (like the possibility that you KNEW it had problems, but didn't tell them about it) but even then, the burden of proof lies with him. Unless he can PROVE that you bought 4 head gaskets within the last five months, you cannot be forced to take the quad back.

chucked
10-15-2003, 02:16 PM
he cant be forced to take the quad back. its over with, screw him he's on his own. You dont have to talk to him. If I were you I would call the cops and use them to let him know to back off.

cody anderson
10-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Tell him that he's being gay...:confused:

10-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by cody anderson
Tell him that he's being gay...:confused:

yeah id call him a ****ing lil ****er from ****ing no good ****ing ****er **** hell and tell him never to ****ing come back ****er **** again