PDA

View Full Version : Wheel and Tire Advice

KP's lil'300
10-11-2003, 10:19 AM
We recently picked up an 86 250R, it is in great shape, but has a set of bald Shredders on the factory gold wheels. What should I do. We mostly ride trails, but often run down a drag strip at our local ride spot. The strip is about 100 yds. of deep sand. I need tires that will look nice, hook up on the trails, and accelerate in the deep sand. Now the Shredders do nothing but spin. I was thinking about the following setups:

400EX Wheels and Ohtsu Radials
ITP T-9 Pro wheels and Holeshot XCs
Douglas wheels and RAZRs

Which of these would perform the best in the drags and do okay on the trails. I am really leaning towards the 400EX setup, but I can't find any cheaper than $450 with shipping, for that money, I could just go ahead and get the Holeshots.
Any Advice?

cdalejef
10-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Are you wanting rims to change the color? Other than that they are the same as the stock 400ex rims. Any of the tires you mentioned will be good in sand. The stock Honda radials will get flats easier.

KP's lil'300
10-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Yes, we are simply wanting to get away from the gold color. Also the wheels are pretty dinged up. The sand at our local area is really deep eneough to run paddles, but they probably wouldn't like the trails very much.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-11-2003, 11:07 AM
I would use a douglas wheel with the holeshot tires. They are a good wheel and the tires are strong. The razors tires do not do well in the sand compared to the stock tires or the holeshots