PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mods? Mx Racing

timscherer
10-10-2003, 11:30 PM
I mainly race Motocross with my 400ex. The motor is completly stock. I currently have a complete Big Gun Race exhaust sys., K&N air filter, Dial-a-Jet, Works Triple Rate Front Susp., +2 ASR A-Arms, Itp Holeshots. I am intersted in a higher compression piston and a racing cam that will increase my low end and mid range (focusing on mx set-up), leaving the bore stock, and possibly polishing the head (if I can find a reliable shop that specializes in polishing heads). Anyone that can help me make a intelligent decision on what to buy that also saves money, I would appreciate the response. If you have any other recomendations let me know as well.

Thanks,
Tim

westcoastmxer
10-11-2003, 07:09 AM
talkto terry#17.i think he still has his lrd cam and motor stuff 4 sale.its bad!

10-11-2003, 07:10 AM
Piston and top-end cam will help a ton..

stupid driver
10-11-2003, 07:20 AM
The site sponsor will be able to hook you up w/ the parts for quite cheap. a good high comp piston and cam, along w/ a decent port and polish will really wake a motor up. The good thing is, since you got the suspension and a-arms, you will be able to use all of that power.

timscherer
10-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Thans for your responses, I will take action upon your feedback. Any recomendations on certain pistions (compression/manufactures) and cams (stages/manufactures). I will check out C&D Racing (site sponsor) for prices and recomendations.

Thanks again,
Tim

stupid driver
10-11-2003, 10:01 PM
there are only 2 pistons i would ever run. They are a Ross or JE. Get a 10.8 to 1 or 11 to 1. Doesnt matter. Then run a cometic FLEX STEEL gasket, not the graphite/rubber gasket. That will boost your compression as well. You may want to run 50/50 race gas for reliability.
Now, for your cam. It all depends on if you want to use hardened rockers or not. My tc 924 grind cam kiks *****, but it requires the use of hardened rockers. If you dont want to use them, get the hotcams stage 2. W/ your higher compression, it is doubtful that you will feel any low end loss. If you have any technical questions, talk to Colby or Dusty. They both know what's going on, and they will get ya hooked up. Hope this helped