PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on upkeep for 440 ex

jasoncarr25
10-10-2003, 07:49 PM
needs to last forever(almost,dont want to rebuild every few races)i have a je 11:1 comp with a wb track cam, and a 39mm fcr carb. local honda shop sponsors me and he said not to waste money on oversized oil tank, to run no less than 100 octain and it will be fine. what do you think. i seen the website posted on here about breakins, just wondering what you think, once again my sponsor said to break in easy.do i have to lose case saver to go to a 16 frt?

cals400ex
10-11-2003, 12:33 AM
the high octane fuel will probally be a good idea. i don't think you would need 100, but its better to be safe i guess. that should help the bike stay cooler. i don't know about the tanks, but i was told the oil coolers helped keep the temp down. don't remove the case saver. you can either buy a new aftermarket one (some will fit a 16 tooth front sprocket) or grind a little off your stock one.

stupid driver
10-11-2003, 07:30 AM
my 16 tooth fits on the aftermarket case saver i got. it is a pro design

bmw500hp
10-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by jasoncarr25
needs to last forever(almost,dont want to rebuild every few races)i have a je 11:1 comp with a wb track cam, and a 39mm fcr carb. local honda shop sponsors me and he said not to waste money on oversized oil tank, to run no less than 100 octain and it will be fine. what do you think. i seen the website posted on here about breakins, just wondering what you think, once again my sponsor said to break in easy.do i have to lose case saver to go to a 16 frt?

Mark Baldwin says the biggest detriment to 400ex engines are heat and detonation. He says race gas only in a built mx quad. Take if for what it's worth.