PDA

View Full Version : Stock off/runoff switch ?'s

RytM1
02-04-2002, 08:23 PM
I took my new 400EX out for the first time a week ago, and ran into a little problem a couple times. It seems that my thumb would keep hitting the stock off/run/off switch when the trail got kinda rough, and would push it to the right "off" position, killing the engine mid-hill of all places.

My question is this: has anyone been able to disable the right "off" position? If not, any other suggestions to prevent this problem again. Looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like the "off" positions kill the engine by completing a ground. I am also thinking of just putting the switch into the run position, and placing a small self-tapping screw on the right side of the switch as a block to prevent the switch from being pushed to the right.

400MXer
02-04-2002, 08:58 PM
one of my friends took the box apart and cut some wires, AND IT WORKED(I wouldn't attempt this though, my friend has a few screws loose, but hey, whatever works.) Anyhow, i've heard of people taking it off, and getting a dirtbike style kill switch for the starter, and just using the tether to kill the bike.,,,,seems logical...and you wouldn't have that problem anymore!!

JOEX
02-04-2002, 09:07 PM
Once you get used to riding it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe work on how you're holding onto the grips. If you need to modify the switch, i'd use the screw method rather than cutting wires. Just in case you need a panic kill.

Joe

400MXer
02-04-2002, 09:35 PM
no, i ment he has a few screws loose in his head, He isn't all there.

A few bricks shy of a full load

a few fries short of a happy meal

Get me now?

JOEX
02-04-2002, 10:09 PM
:huh

RytM1
02-04-2002, 11:23 PM
http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/ruinkai/biglaugha.gif
Thanks guys ...

Moto92
02-05-2002, 12:49 AM
Why dont you just loosen the whole assembly up and slide it over on the bar a little so you dont hit it. On the inside of it there is a small tab that fits inside a hole on the stock handlebars. Use a knife or file to get rid of that. If you ever swap for aftermarket bars youll have to do that anyway.

Holty
02-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Yeah, i just say keep riding and once you get used to the new bike you won't do that anymore. I've never had any problems hitting my kill switch.

400exBro
02-05-2002, 01:35 PM
my friend did the same thing as 400Mxer
buy your self a pro design kill switch, and then connect it, then the little black box inside your on/off switch on the handle bars take that out and glue the orange switch back on and your good to go, i am not sure that is the same way he did it but i'll find out for you if you want to do it this way
lata
400exBro

02-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Just twist the switch up or down to keep it away from your thumb.I used to do the same thing.

400exRacerX
02-07-2002, 01:35 PM
I am going to eliminate that kill switch because my knee hits it sometimes and thats no good.