upstate rider
10-10-2003, 02:56 AM
FYI Guys and Gals, I wanted to pass this on to all Exriders
Subj: NYSORVA List: [SPOOF/FRAUD ALERT] PayPal Account Security Measures
Date: 10/9/2003 9:50:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: <Alex@nysorva.org>
Reply-To: <Alex@NYSORVA.org>
Sent from the Internet (Details)

PLEASE DON’T FALL FOR THIS! I don’t normally send thinks like virus and fraud alerts to The List because I like to think you all can take care of yourselves, but this one is so bad as to its potential to ruin your financial life, that I want to make sure any of my fellow riders who are familiar with PayPal do not fall for this identity theft fraud. If you get a message that looks like the one at the bottom of this message, just delete it permanently: It is a very clever and credible-looking “spoof” of a real PayPal communication and contains a link (which I removed for your safety) to a page that looks like a genuine PayPal site page and asks you to verify all you most intimate personal/financial info like your CC#s and SSN, date of birth, PIN numbers etc. If you give this stuff over, your identity could stolen to be used by the criminal behind this to use your credit history to his advantage.

I called PayPal and they verified what I received was indeed a malicious spoof. A related PayPal statement says:

PayPal and its representatives will NEVER ask you to reveal your password.

There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy. If anyone claiming to work for

PayPal asks for your password under any circumstances, by email or by

phone, please refuse and immediately contact us via webform at

https://www.paypal.com/wf/f=sa_pass.
Alex Ernst
www.nysorva.org

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 11:14 AM
To: Aernst
Subject: PayPal Account Security Measures

Please verify your information today!

Dear Paypal Member.

Your account has been randomly flagged in our system as a part of our routine security measures. This is a must to ensure that only you have access and use of your paypal account and to ensure a safe Paypal experience. We require all flagged accounts to verify their information on file with us. To verify your information, [Link Removed] and enter the details requested. After you verify your information, your account shall be returned to good standing and you will continue to have full use of your account.

Thank you for using PayPal!

LTandRaptorider
10-10-2003, 02:03 PM
appreciate the info. There was a similar scam with ebay, pretty much asking exactly what you have here for PayPal. If only you could send a power surge back to the perpetrators of these scams... :mad: :mad:

upstate rider
10-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
If only you could send a power surge back to the perpetrators of these scams... :mad: :mad: Would be nice wouldn't it

RytM1
10-10-2003, 08:13 PM
I just posted a similar one a couple of months ago. The scam email was stating that due to a lack of use over the last 6 months, they wanted my password and such to continue to keep my account active. Well, I knew I had just used the account less than a month ago, so I called PayPal, and they said it was a fraud. The email even had PayPal's logo on it, and if you clicked on it, it would take you to PayPal's site.