PDA

View Full Version : Broken exhaust stud wont come out

toby400ex
10-09-2003, 09:02 PM
While tearin down the 400 for a pc job one of the exhuast studs snapped. Its stickin out maybe a lil over a centimeter and all the vise grips are doing are stripping it. Theyre on so tight my head about explodes trying to lock them. Wtf do i do now:mad: :grr: :confused:

K_Fulk
10-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Maybe torch them? Shouldnt take much to get the head hot though. I would be care full if you do.

jay's 300
10-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Get a set of easy-outs! I had the same thing happen to me and man it was simple w/ these handy dandy gadgets! Just have to drill a hole in the center of the bolt and start your easy-out and viola she'll come right out! :D

K_Fulk
10-09-2003, 09:44 PM
They dont work so great if its a rusted bolt though. They are excellent if you shear a bumper bolt or something.

dad400ex
10-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Drill a hole in the stud,start threadinding the easy out,use a propane torch to heat around the stud and as its still hot start using the easy out ,the alum. expands faster then the stud,should come right out ,Do not break the easy out off,so buy good ones....

danney f
10-10-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by dad400ex
Drill a hole in the stud,start threadinding the easy out,use a propane torch to heat around the stud and as its still hot start using the easy out ,the alum. expands faster then the stud,should come right out ,Do not break the easy out off,so buy good ones....

This should work. But if not, Tack weld a nut to the end of the stud. Than use a wrench to remove it. But what dad400ex said should work.

L.Vegas400
10-10-2003, 10:24 AM
there is a trick that is very diffucult to do. only an experience person who has runa torch for years can do. take it to the lock welder or equivilent. what they do is direct the heat on the stud only, just as soon at the stud gets hot enough to cut, he blows the hot stud out of the hole. the reason this works is cause the aluminum dissapates the heat faster that the iron stud does. this is very tricky and with one slip up you can destroy your head. after that is done a tap is run in and out to clean the slag out of the threads. this is only a last resort. go with the easy out set. use a punch and tap the stud to kinda knock it loose and use lots of penitrating oil.

toby400ex
10-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys, right now its soaking in penetrating oil, ill tap it a lil and see if it will turn then, if that doesnt work ill get an easy out.:macho

chrisp333
10-10-2003, 09:18 PM
had the same problem... went to the auto store and the sell a tool called a stud puller. looks just like an extended socket or a spark plug socket. goes on to any rachet handle. you set the handle as if you were takin any normal bolt out and the stud puller grabs the stud and allows you to turn it out no problems. i used PB BLASTER its works better than wd40.

toby400ex
10-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by chrisp333
had the same problem... went to the auto store and the sell a tool called a stud puller. looks just like an extended socket or a spark plug socket. goes on to any rachet handle. you set the handle as if you were takin any normal bolt out and the stud puller grabs the stud and allows you to turn it out no problems. i used PB BLASTER its works better than wd40. This things scaring me, so i think ill look for a stud puller, thanks for the info.

skemp
10-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Like others have said, use heat. :) Just don't use a lot of force because if it breaks off inside the head your problems will be a lot worse than they already are.

toby400ex
10-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Well even the heat didnt seem to affect this thing. Monday Im gonna see what a machine shop will do with it.:rolleyes: