PDA

View Full Version : moving the needle up or down?

L.Vegas400
10-09-2003, 06:35 PM
up does what and down does what. how do you know if it needs to up or down and how far?

Scott-300ex
10-09-2003, 06:45 PM
when you move the needle up on the carberator, you raise the needle, raising the needle makes the motor run more rich

when you move the needle down on the carb, you lower the needle, and when you lower it, it makes the motor run more lean

to know when to adjust it is really only after mods, like pipe, filter, motor work, ect... unless you live or ride in a really high high high as fuc! altitude

;)

L.Vegas400
10-09-2003, 07:03 PM
so give me a place to start, 416, hotcam II, ported head, no lid, uni filter, big gun pipe. i have a 170 main, stock everything else to do with the carb. altitude about 2000ft. i dont know what to do. i explained how it is running in my other thread. seems like it is just running on the pilot jet, cause anything over bairly touching the throttle kinda cuts out and no power what so ever. ,:confused: :( :confused: :(

Pappy
10-09-2003, 07:06 PM
whats the plug look like?

is the airbox lid on?

check for air leaks on the carb boot.

Scott-300ex
10-09-2003, 07:07 PM
170 is pretty big, but it might fit your application

if you say it sounds like it is running lean when you give it throttle, then if you want you can change jets or try to move your needle up

to move your needle up, just put the clip on the lowet of the notches, put the needle back in, and by putting it on the low notch you will raise the needle and it will run more rich

you will understand it once you get in there

good luck

cals400ex
10-11-2003, 12:55 AM
is your needle in the stock position (3rd)? i would try the 4th position. i would also use a 42 or 45 pilot jet.