PDA

View Full Version : started my small business

NTPracing22
10-09-2003, 05:49 PM
well for 2 years now i've been working at a Gardening center getting educated on land scaping. I'm just finishing my senior year in highschool and wanted to take a small business managment course so i know what i'm doing.

turns out my sister already has that, and she's been into landscaping and lawn mowing for a while. so we decided to partner up. We're calling it Nelson Landworks, we registered with the state of NH today.

We do landscaping, lawn maintenance, and spring/fall cleanups. We already have a customer too. Things are starting off well. Just thought i'd share with you guys.

Wes

nacs400ex
10-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Sounds good, good luck with the business. :macho

Adam202
10-09-2003, 05:53 PM
sounds cool, good luck. this is something i have thought about doing once i graduate comin up pretty soon. Let me know how it goes if you have good success i will Def. consider it. ;)

hondafox440
10-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Awesome. Hey, if you need employees this coming summer, let me know. I need a job..

dpizz450
10-09-2003, 05:58 PM
congrats dude......good luck.......

NTPracing22
10-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Adam, its deff worth it. i've been doing private landscaping for about a year for people, great money and i like it a lot, but now having a business i have to do the hole tax thing:grr: :mad:
if i make $5,000 on a job, the goverment gets 1,500 of that.

:macho

Adam202
10-09-2003, 06:04 PM
yea taxes suck, but sounds good to me. Let us know how its goin from time to time.

wilkin250r
10-09-2003, 06:35 PM
What are you specializing in?

Are you doing landscaping, which would probably include a small tractor service?

Or are you looking into lawnmowing and lawn care?

Tough work, my father started his business a few years ago, and he's been begging me to work for him.

I laugh at him. I tell him "I didn't spend all my time getting an Engineering degree to push a lawnmower" :blah:

Actually, it has more to do with hayfever allergies than anything else.

mrusk
10-09-2003, 07:15 PM
NTP- I am in my senior year of high school and am doing the same as exact thing as you. I already went out and bought a exmark laser mower. I plan to start in the spring and when i turn 18 in may i will register the business. I plan on doing lawns, landscaping, walls, patios, ponds. I am going to go to the local community college some for some horticulture classes.

matt

NTPracing22
10-09-2003, 07:18 PM
we do landscaping-dealing with schrubbs, trees, bushes, flowers, creating gardens, and lawn devolopment and mowing

NTPracing22
10-09-2003, 07:19 PM
mrusk-good call on doing ponds, water gardens, aquascapes, and water features are a big seller right now

AtvMxRider
10-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Sounds good, good luck with the business. :macho

mrusk
10-09-2003, 07:33 PM
The thing with mowing is it is highly competivie because any monkey can mow. I am just doing it to get my name out there. I hope in a few years i can have a couple mowing crews going and do the ponds and stuff myself with another crew.

matt

NTPracing22
10-09-2003, 07:38 PM
yeah i hear that. in this area mowing copanies are turning people down because there's too many poeple that need it done. one company has 3 crews and afer taxes and paying thier employees they're still making 3 grand a month..thats just mowing, they also do landscaping, normal and hard. so there's deffinetly the demand around here

j37
10-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Right now I am currently working for M&M Lawn Service. We mow lawns and trim bushes mostly. Its pretty easy work but think im going to get another job though doing construction. I dont mind working for M&M its just once the grass stops growing I dont have any work. Then I have to wait until it snows to plow. Im going to college next fall for Business Adminstration (AAS) then I think im going to either start a construction or landscaping company. Mowing lawns is easy money. We have about 85 customers so I stay busy.

JTRtrx250r
10-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by NTPracing22
mrusk-good call on doing ponds, water gardens, aquascapes, and water features are a big seller right now big seller around here too:blah: ...until someone puts laundry soap in them,have you ever seen suds 7ft tall haha,I'd concider doing water features,those are always cool:blah:

Glow Plug
10-09-2003, 09:29 PM
awsome man, good luck to you and your sister :D

10-10-2003, 03:02 AM
good luck in the business ..;),& dont work too hard ..LOL

NTPracing22
10-10-2003, 05:42 AM
i'll try not to 2rs. lol

thanks everyone

Woody_YFZ
10-10-2003, 06:11 AM
My Dad works for the school systems, so we always mowed lawns during the summer when he was off work. It paid really well for a young kid like me, then when I turned 16 my Dad gave me the business and I made really good money for the two years I had it until I sold it. There's definitely good money there. There seems to be more money in Commercial mowing than residential.