View Full Version : Prm Body Skid Install???'s

Doibugu2
10-09-2003, 04:58 PM
I Installed my new PRM body skid last night, and have a small problem.

The bracket that is supposed to go right in from the engine, I cannot install because of my AC propegs.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really don't want to take my pegs of to install that one bracket. It shouldn't be needed, right?

10-09-2003, 07:38 PM
are you talking about the one right above the bolts that went to the stock plastic skid? If so i just left those off. It is still mounted very very strong and i have not had any problems yet in the last 6 months with it. There is a way to mount it with different bolts and a U-Bracket around the nerf but i do not feel its necessary so i left it off.

K_Fulk
10-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Try puting the bolts in the other way, i've heard of some people doing this. But my pro pegs were way off and i couldn't, i just never used it when i had my ac's. Now that i have gibsons i can use it again.

Dave400ex
10-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Are you talking about the big mount just in front of the motor by the motor mounts? If so my neighbor just got his skids and was having the same problem with his pro-pegs. He's just going to cut the mount smaller, then have it tig welded back together.

Doibugu2
10-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Yea that is the mount that I am talking about. I'm kind of suprised that PRM would design it that way. I do think it is plenty strong without the them, so I'm just going to leave them out.

I thought about flipping the bolts, but that would just take to long. Take it all back off and the pegs. To much of a pain.

Did all you guys put weatherstripping around the edges. I took it for a test ride real quit, and talk about a rattle. I forgot to buy the stripping when I went to the store.

I'm going to have to take it off now and install the stripping, because the rattle is very annoying.

10-10-2003, 08:15 AM
mine was a pain in the arse to install also. I did have to take one nerf off to wedge the support plate in there. I also had 4 gussets in the way that I had to drill thru. Took me about 2 hours to install mine without it being crooked or in a bind...:o having a tweaked front end didn't help either...:mad: Mine rattles a little but not bad enough to bother me..

Doibugu2
10-10-2003, 08:24 AM
maybe I need to tighten it some more. Mine seems to rattle a lot.

For future people that buy this, before you take off all the brackets, remember where each one goes. Trying to figure out how and where they all mount is kind of a pain.

I also had to clip a corner on the front of it, because it wasn't allowing my bumper to go back far enough to bolt it in.

UglyMotha™
10-10-2003, 12:37 PM
whaaa, mine went on just fine took me a whole 15mins and what's interfering with the pegs i have my mount on and mine has absoluty no rattle whatsoever and that is without weatherstripping only noise i get is the engine sound louder :confused:

oh well maybe i'm just special :huh :confused:

RytM1
10-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Doug, I had the same problem. I just left that skid plate bracket off. I ran it all summer that way and haven't had a problem. I will probably try and figure somethign out during the winter rebuild.

quadrider400
10-12-2003, 10:09 AM
My experiance is to avoid PRM there stuff never seems to fit right. I had to redrill mounts on my LT250R for the skid plate and then I added their A-ARM covers and had to use a grinder to get the arms to move freely... Guess what they said when I called...
Gee sorry about that.... no offers to fix it in anyway... guess they figure I would not tell anyone.... WRONG!!!!!!!!:macho :macho

UglyMotha™
10-12-2003, 10:25 AM
everything i bought from them has gone on flawlessly no modifications were needed whatsoever :confused:

Doibugu2
10-12-2003, 11:05 AM
I have no real compliants with how they went on. It's just the AC pegs are right where one of the mounts are supposed to go. I rode yesterday and didn't have a problem. I rode the mx track and never once heard them rattle.

Man those elka's a smooth. I know I wasnt jumping far but the 10 or 20 feet, some off the landings were so smooth it didn't even feel like I left the ground.