PDA

View Full Version : 1998 camaro z28 vs 1998 mustang cobra svt..

The440Exorcist
10-09-2003, 04:26 PM
I have an option of buying one of these 2. The z28 has the 6 speed trans. and its for $12,900 and has 32,000 miles. The cobra has the 5speed trans and is $15,500 and has 42,000 miles. What do you think?

Jellyrolls
10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
get the camaro...ford (found on roadside dead)

hondafox440
10-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Stang... 4th gen Camaros are so ugly, even though it is faster than the Stang.

Taco
10-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Camaro without a doubt:D

krazyquik
10-09-2003, 05:20 PM
cobra all the way:D

nacs400ex
10-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Dont even have to ask that question Camaro ! Everyones driver around in mustangs, they are turning into the Honda craze :o

krazyquik
10-09-2003, 05:30 PM
yeah cause they are the best sounding cars on the road and they look way better then the camaro too

RoadkillerRyan
10-09-2003, 05:42 PM
camaro!!! i got a 2000 SS its sounds soooooooo nice
stangs SUCK, they are everywhere and look horrible they only loook go in dark blue

RoadkillerRyan
10-09-2003, 05:44 PM
but both cars are really bad in the snow, my camaro slids off the road so much its scary

Greg Z
10-09-2003, 05:44 PM
r u crazy CAMARO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nacs400ex
10-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by krazyquik
yeah cause they are the best sounding cars on the road and they look way better then the camaro too

Does it really matter what sounds the best? OMG, I wouldnt buy a car cause it "sounds cool", Get it because its got a good motor and made by a good company. Chevy and Dodge for me.

I personally think Camaro's are way better looking then mustangs. I also hate having what every other person on the road has. Be unique.

Has anyone seen the new camaro that is supposed to be coming out, it is AWESOME!

krazyquik
10-09-2003, 05:55 PM
dude dodge? dodge sucks a**..they are the worst bulit vehicle..plus they dont even make camaros anymore that must mean something

The440Exorcist
10-09-2003, 05:57 PM
so the 1998 z28 is faster than the 1998 stang cobra?

nacs400ex
10-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Alright whatever there buddy. I think Ford lacks in the power departmet, in their gas vehicles. Their Deisels are good work trucks.

I also want to know why you think dodges are the worst vehicles built?

Sidenote: The only ford vehicle I would every buy is a Lightning just cause they are fast stock.

jarred15801
10-09-2003, 05:59 PM
camaro deffinetly they have more horsepower then the mustangs that year and they look better then mustangs

i think the front of mustangs looks just like ford escourts until you see the scoop in the hood

everbody has mustangs too so you really wouldnt stick out as much thats another reason to get the camaro

the last thing is that they dont make camaros anymore so get one well there around

krazyquik
10-09-2003, 06:08 PM
yeah that year maybe...now the 03 has 390 boy..no camaro will touch that..i had a friend that worked at dodge and told me never to buy one..then main thing is the tranny and powertrain

nacs400ex
10-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Well you stick with your fords. Its funny when you see a 2002 ford driving down the road with LOTS of rust. But I guess its from the salt we put on the roads up here. I truely like Chevy the best they look good, have a lot of power. They also make some sweet crate motors. I wish I could have a 572.

Juggalo
10-09-2003, 10:38 PM
the z28 is really faster than the SVT cobra?? i find that really hard to believe. possibly i guess but i'd still probably pick the stang. i can see the z28 being faster than a normal mustang but not the cobra. what motor did they use in 98? the DOHC 4.6?

jarred15801
10-10-2003, 01:16 PM
what kind of stang are you thinking about buying just the normal kind or or a cobra or a svt cobra

the z28 has a LS1 engine its a v8 it is a 5.7 liter with 310 hp 340 ft lbs of torque
it also has more compression and bigger bore and stroke and its a six speed and a 346 cu. in.

the svt has a v8 i beleive is a 4.6 liter 320 hp but only 317 ft lbs of torque but it a fivespeed and is a 280cu in

the stang is about 200 pounds lighter if that makes any difference

if it is just a cobra or a plain stang then the camaro will kill it

hondafox440
10-10-2003, 01:23 PM
According to Musclecarclub.com.. Seems to be a very accurate site so I trust these numbers.

1998 Camaro
Z28: LS1 5.7 V8 305 bhp @ 5200 rpm, 320 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

And, from edmunds.com (large car review site)

1998 Mustang SVT Cobra

"..4.6-liter dual-overhead cam V8 engine that produces 305 horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,800 rpm"

JustRace
10-10-2003, 01:58 PM
a 98 f-body with always beat a 98 SVT cobra, stock vs. stock. Mustang wasn't able to beat the f-bodies until they quit making them.

Juggalo
10-10-2003, 04:20 PM
the DOHC 4.6 is a good motor. not the normal SOHC motor they put in the normal stangs. the svt uses the DOHC. i think the cobra would win. my friends old 5.0 would walk all over ls1 camero's and firebirds and it barley had anything done to it.

NTPRacing#19
10-10-2003, 05:34 PM
get the camaro

10-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Stang

Trx4Life
10-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Cheaper, Faster, Less Miles, Looks Better, CAMARO ALL THE WAY!

FoxRacer400ex
10-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Camaro

Guy400
10-10-2003, 07:39 PM
There was a big hoopla over the Cobra for the last couple years. The Cobra was not putting out the horsepower it claimed and Ford flat out admitted that. There were articles in Car and Driver and Hot Rod magazines about the problem with the Cobra. If I remember correctly at the last minute of development Ford switched to a much more restrictive intake and exhaust but didn't reflect the new horsepower numbers. That's why they made sure to pump out a true 390hp for the new one. The F-body was a Stang killer until this year. I was in my buddies 98 Cobra on spray (75hp). We were absolutely walked by a bone stock LS1 T/A 6-speed. We were clubbed bad enough that I thought for sure he had a poweradder. I heard no S/C so I figured he was on the bottle. We pulled off and I looked his car over--totally stock.

Booth440ex
10-10-2003, 07:51 PM
go with the cobra

Glow Plug
10-11-2003, 11:25 AM
stang

mikeboone
10-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Take a moment and forget about power and how many you se of whatever on the road. Call Tuesday morning to your insurance carrier and tell them to quote you on both cars. If you are under 20 years old they will eat ur *** alive:devil: They're may be several hundred $$ difference in the two; either way prepare!!! If you have any points on your insurance now forget about both and look into a nice 6 cyl sedan. You would need another job just to carry insurance on them.

hotrodhonda400
10-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Go Cobra!:D http://www.zjstech.net/~library/5905/0-160 KBcobra.wmv

hotrodhonda400
10-11-2003, 10:51 PM
you will have to copy and paste the link...;)

The440Exorcist
10-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Test Drove the camaro last night, man that car is sick. 4th gear just cruising at about 40 mph and just smashing the gas. Feels like a rocketship. Im pretty sold on the camaro. But I will drive the mustang just to compare. Also, my dad would be the primary driver on it( just to keep rates low);) Also I heard the z28 puts out way more than 305 hp. It just says that to keep insurance rates low?

Eric:confused:

JustRace
10-14-2003, 06:13 PM
The camaro would win, its that simple. Realisticly though it will cost more on insurance though, just how it is. Also the people saying the mustang would win, are probably the people that don't know what a LS1 is and that think just because its a camaro or firebird that it has a LS1 in it. The odds are that these people that are beating the "LS1" with hardly any bolt ons are probably actually just beating 3.8L v6's.

Juggalo
10-14-2003, 07:33 PM
the cobra makes more power than the camero and is lighter. i don't know what these people are smokin that say the camero is faster. i think their just dumb brand loyalists.

Taco
10-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
the cobra makes more power than the camero and is lighter. i don't know what these people are smokin that say the camero is faster. i think their just dumb brand loyalists. Timeslips don't lie:D

krazyquik
10-14-2003, 07:38 PM
http://www.svtperformance.com/~blades/BladesMovie.wmv (http://) neither does video..check the camaro get spanked

Taco
10-14-2003, 07:46 PM
fix your link

krazyquik
10-14-2003, 07:47 PM
copy and paste it

Guy400
10-14-2003, 08:27 PM
the cobra makes more power than the camero and is lighter. i don't know what these people are smokin that say the camero is faster. i think their just dumb brand loyalists. I prefer Chevy vehicles but facts don't lie. In 1998 (the year of the two cars this member is considering purchasing) the Z28's official horsepower rating was 305hp with an official curb weight of 3439lbs. http://www.internetautoguide.com/Reviews/1998/1998_Chevrolet_Camaro.html

The official horsepower rating of the 1998 Cobra was 305hp with a 3391lb. curb weight.http://www.ventifrap.com/cobra/specs.html

That's only a difference of about 40lbs. between the two cars. The FACTS state that the Z28 runs 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile times stock. The stock timeslips for the Cobra are 13.8-13.9. This is backed up by every car magazine to have ever tested these vehicles. Heck, even MM&FF (a Ford magazine) took a stock LS1 Z28 and obliterated their own stock Cobra. The Camaro has beaten the Mustang in 1/4 mile times since 1993 with the introduction of the LT1 to the F-body. Of course, that changed this year with GM axing the TransMaro and Ford still going.

I didn't download the movie but I'm going to assume it's a Cobra beating a Camaro. There are so many variables to drag racing we can't even begin to assume that the drivers are of equal skill. And, if the cars are modded all bets are off. Given enough money I can build a Cavalier to embarrass a Viper.

jello
10-14-2003, 08:58 PM
his vid (http://www.svtperformance.com/~blades/BladesMovie.wmv )

ewalker302
10-15-2003, 12:25 AM
They quit making Camaros for a reason they werent selling, in fact they never sold as many as Ford sold Mustangs.

Maybe just a coincidence I don't think so.

To pick the camaro because there aren't as many of them around and they stopped making them is idiotic.

It's always been the same story ---- You gotta have a 350 (5.7) in a chevy to touch a Mustang with a 5.0 or a 4.7.

Just read Guy 400's post.
The LT1 is a 350
The Cobra has a 4.7 (less than 300 cubes)
It takes over 50 more cubic inches for the camaro to beat the cobra by what one maybe two tenths, that sounds about right.

OK im a Ford guy, but check it out

The styling of the 98 Camaro is nice, but go look under the hood.

Notice anything a little weird? Yeah the engine is centered under the windshield, half the motor is damn near untouchable. That makes it either very expensive or very difficult to work on them.

I know a guy who has a camaro w/ that bodystyle. You would not believe the bills just for regular maininance--repairs.

And another thing--there are literally hundreds of companys out there that are selling and still developing performance upgrades exclusivley for the mustangs.

One example -- say you want to take off the cats & put on performance mufflers. It will take a week just to look at all the options out there & you can install it in your own driveway in one afternoon.
& there are a hundred other things to do to that cobra some very cheap & some free. If you took of the intake silencer & bumped up the timing a few degrees you will smoke the camaro for free.

Plus it's got a hissing snake in the grill, whats to even consider?

Yeah there are a lot of stangs out there but they aint cobras.

:bandit:

J-Nubs
10-15-2003, 12:46 AM
both are pretty sweet cars

the camaro has less miles is cheaper and faster what else do u need to know

who cares if the chevy has a 5.7 and ford has a 5.0 or whatever no matter how u look at it you'll still smoke any stang out there (well watch out for the 03 cobras)so the decision should be easy save yourself some money and get the faster car.:D

Woody_YFZ
10-15-2003, 01:27 AM
I'd want to look pretty while I'm out there. Definitely the Mustang. The Camaro's are boats. I also agree that there are a lot of Mustangs, but not Cobras.

MOFO
10-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
There was a big hoopla over the Cobra for the last couple years. The Cobra was not putting out the horsepower it claimed and Ford flat out admitted that. There were articles in Car and Driver and Hot Rod magazines about the problem with the Cobra. If I remember correctly at the last minute of development Ford switched to a much more restrictive intake and exhaust but didn't reflect the new horsepower numbers. That's why they made sure to pump out a true 390hp for the new one. The F-body was a Stang killer until this year. I was in my buddies 98 Cobra on spray (75hp). We were absolutely walked by a bone stock LS1 T/A 6-speed. We were clubbed bad enough that I thought for sure he had a poweradder. I heard no S/C so I figured he was on the bottle. We pulled off and I looked his car over--totally stock.

funny you mention this, I was getting ready to say how GM "under estimates" their power all the time... well known fact that the LS1's put out more power than claimed... that or they have one heck of a drivetrain that only looses like 2-3% to the rear wheels....LMAO.

Taco
10-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
funny you mention this, I was getting ready to say how GM "under estimates" their power all the time... well known fact that the LS1's put out more power than claimed... that or they have one heck of a drivetrain that only looses like 3% to the rear wheels....LMAO. No they don't your stupid:mad:

MOFO
10-15-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Taco
No they don't your stupid:mad:

:cuss:

Guy400
10-15-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
funny you mention this, I was getting ready to say how GM "under estimates" their power all the time... well known fact that the LS1's put out more power than claimed... that or they have one heck of a drivetrain that only looses like 2-3% to the rear wheels....LMAO. I was going to mention that but I figured I'd ruffle too many Ford feathers so I didn't. It was either Hot Rod or Car Craft that dynoed a stock Z28 SS that's advertised at 320hp. They got 347hp on the dyno (this was crank horsepower).

I'm not saying the Cobra is not a nice car but if you're looking to win a drag race right off the showroom floor than the Z28 is going to get that job done. But don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of b!tches about the F-body (doors too long and heavy, front and rear overhangs too long, various interior rattles, worthless rear hatch area, etc.).

ewalker302
10-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Ford & Chevy have been lying about HP & torque #'s for 50 years now guys.

In the 50's & early 60's they bumped em up to attract more customers.

From 65 to 72 they factored em down to keep the government off their asses.

From about 72 till about 85-86 who even cares?

Since then the car companys print whatever suits their needs (within reason).

There has always only been one way to compare two cars Hp .
Run em on the same dyno, day, temp, humidity, & w/the same guy behind the wheel.

Every car is different.

If the camaro seems to be a better deal---go for it.

The two cars stock are so close in performance its' silly to argue that.

But I'd still pick the cobra any day.

If I were you though I would stay off of exriders for a few days, go to some mustang & camaro sites.

Check out their message boards for common problems / design flaws for the vehicles you are considering & make sure to check the cars out after you find out the good bad & what to look for.

JustRace
10-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Fact is that until this year the mustangs sucked. Its sad when my bone stock 85 Z28 beats a 95 mustang GT convertable that has steada suspension and exhaust in the 1/4 mile. I have the timeslip to prove it and a witness.

Mustangs are cool but most people don't know the facts. It was actually the 98 Cobra that got me into sports cars when my dads friend took me for a ride in his. Both cars are cool and get whatever you want.

As far as videos go those are a dime a dozen, I have tons of videos of f-bodies smoking mustangs.

Duner21
10-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302
They quit making Camaros for a reason they werent selling, in fact they never sold as many as Ford sold Mustangs.

Notice anything a little weird? Yeah the engine is centered under the windshield, half the motor is damn near untouchable. That makes it either very expensive or very difficult to work on them.

I know a guy who has a camaro w/ that bodystyle. You would not believe the bills just for regular maininance--repairs.

And another thing--there are literally hundreds of companys out there that are selling and still developing performance upgrades exclusivley for the mustangs.

One example -- say you want to take off the cats & put on performance mufflers. It will take a week just to look at all the options out there & you can install it in your own driveway in one afternoon.
& there are a hundred other things to do to that cobra some very cheap & some free. If you took of the intake silencer & bumped up the timing a few degrees you will smoke the camaro for free.

Alright first of all one of the main reasons they stopped making camaros is because mustangs outsold then..... mustang V6's that is.

Second, the motor is put there for a reason, it is there so the front end does not push when taking tight corners and also it's tucked under there so it can transfer more weight to the rear wheels under excelleration. I haven't had any trouble working on the car.

Third, I own a 98 Z and I haven't had a darn problem with mechanical repairs. It has 80,000 miles.

Fourth, yeah there are a lot of mustang upgrades in the industry... but sorry to break it to you but there are several upgrades you can put on a LS1 also to make it just as good or even better.

Good luck with your decision on your car. Hope it works out for you. Let us know what you get.

get the camaro!

crday98
10-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JustRace
Mustang wasn't able to beat the f-bodies until they quit making them.
this is the funniest thing i have ever heard said in a mustang vs f-body war and true at that:D ;)

crday98
10-19-2003, 11:23 AM
the cobra makes more power than the camero and is lighter. i don't know what these people are smokin that say the camero is faster. i think their just dumb brand loyalists.
for one if your going to bash a car at least spell the damn thing right and you my friend are about as dumb as the guy looks in your avatar to think the cobra is faster and more powerful.

Juggalo
10-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by crday98
for one if your going to bash a car at least spell the damn thing right and you my friend are about as dumb as the guy looks in your avatar to think the cobra is faster and more powerful.

touchy lil bugger aren't ya!? haha

i still think the cobra could take the z28, but the SS camero is a different story. and hey if i'm wrong so what. i would hope a 5.7 cid motor could take a 4.6 ;)

crday98
10-21-2003, 05:37 PM
touchy lil bugger aren't ya!? haha

i still think the cobra could take the z28, but the SS camero is a different story. and hey if i'm wrong so what. i would hope a 5.7 cid motor could take a 4.6 ;)
i hate to tell you but there is nothing different between the powerplant of a Z-28 VS an SS. the only thing different powerwise is an exhaust and intake set up.the stock HP rating on a Z-28 is 305 and 320 for the SS.as most know these numbers are way underrated from the actual.also my buddy has an 02' Z-28 that is stronger that 75% of the people i know with SS's;)

J-Nubs
10-21-2003, 06:50 PM
ya depends on the Z mine stock beat a stock ss.

JustRace
10-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Just an idea of potential of the LS1 cars. Red400ex(can't remember the exact name) has a 2002 trans am with: Cam, headers, and full exhaust that ran a 12.952 at 113.47mph against me. Well if anyone knows about drag racing if he could get traction thats a 11 second car.

crazybuffalo
10-22-2003, 01:45 PM
id go with the camaro since its faster cooler(imo)and is overall better because its a chevy:D :D :D

wilkin250r
10-22-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the "Everybody drives a Mustang, so be unique" philosophy. Not everybody drives a 1973 Ford Pinto, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna run out and buy one. Popular cars are usually popular for a reason...

jasoncarr25
10-22-2003, 02:04 PM
buy the stang. its best car made. i own a dodge durango and stock to stock it blows away the camaro

JustRace
10-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Are you trying to say your dodge durange "blows away" a LS1 powered f-body? Or any f-body for that matter? :huh

jasoncarr25
10-22-2003, 05:09 PM
i dont know what that is. but yes my durango out ran a camaro w/ a v8 in a quarter

Juggalo
10-22-2003, 11:22 PM
is it an R/T? i love durango R/T's!

Wicked K5
10-23-2003, 01:15 AM
Given the choices, I'd prolly go with the Camaro myself. Less miles and less expensive. $2600 can get you some really good mods. Despite a 96 SS being in my sig, I'm not exactly a brand loyalist. If I were looking for an all around killer car, I'd choose an 03 Cobra over an F-body, but for drag racing, I think the F-body is a better platform.

And for the doubters of the LS1, just look at what ARE, MTI, Cartek, QMP, etc have done with that motor. That motor has just as much, if not more potential than the DOHC 4.6 in the Cobra...

BTW, did he mention what color these cars are?

Crazy4bluEx
10-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by The440Exorcist
so the 1998 z28 is faster than the 1998 stang cobra?

no.

well actually i dont know for those specified years. On "stangnet.com" forums there is a guy that ran an posted the slip "13.6 1/4 mile" i forget all the rest ect..i did see the pic of the slip, but this was with a 2002 stock Gt, on stock tires.... STOCK...now considering the guy isnt lying, thats beyond my place to tell. I know that a camaro doesnt handle in the road course near as good as a stang with about $2000 in suspension, there isnt many cars that can touch it. Mustangs are like anything, you put enough $$$$ and time in.... and your the fastest for the day. bottom line, get what you like..... i drive a 2002 Gt with C/A intake, and underdrive pulleys... and it suits me fine.

crday98
10-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by jasoncarr25
i dont know what that is. but yes my durango out ran a camaro w/ a v8 in a quarter
rrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight:rolleyes:

jasoncarr25
10-25-2003, 10:40 AM
my durango is the sport model with the newage v8 which is made by mercades (sp?)

Guy400
10-25-2003, 12:02 PM
my durango is the sport model with the newage v8 which is made by mercades (sp?) :huh

The Durango R/T (which is faster than your Sport) only pulls a 15.4 in the 1/4 mile. A LS1 Z28 would smoke that by over 1.5 seconds. Face it, you raced a V6 Camaro and the driver wasn't trying to race back:rolleyes:

jasoncarr25
10-25-2003, 01:58 PM
ya know i hate when people insist on talkin sh-t they know nothin about.dude shut your mouth ya wasnt there.un like you i dont post things just so i can see what i wrote on the comp.like i said my durango out ran a v8 camoro in the 1/4. and this mornin i raced a stealth and beat him by a 1/2 car length.

MOFO
10-25-2003, 02:40 PM
my durango is the sport model with the newage v8 which is made by mercades (sp?)

LMFAO!!!

MOFO
10-25-2003, 02:46 PM
ya know i hate when people insist on talkin sh-t they know nothin about.dude shut your mouth ya wasnt there.un like you i dont post things just so i can see what i wrote on the comp.like i said my durango out ran a v8 camoro in the 1/4. and this mornin i raced a stealth and beat him by a 1/2 car length.

.... it just gets better and better with every post. :rolleyes:

Guy400
10-25-2003, 03:11 PM
ya know i hate when people insist on talkin sh-t they know nothin about.dude shut your mouth ya wasnt there.un like you i dont post things just so i can see what i wrote on the comp.like i said my durango out ran a v8 camoro in the 1/4. and this mornin i raced a stealth and beat him by a 1/2 car length. I gotta ask, does it hurt to be retarded?

You're expecting us all to believe that your 16 second sled is beating mid-13 second cars? You must've checked the box on the Durango order form for the flux capacitor 'cause that's the only way you're going to be beating Z28's.

Chef
10-25-2003, 03:54 PM

Stupid people are #1 in my book!:D

crday98
10-27-2003, 01:45 PM
the only way you beat an LS1 powered camaro with your durango is if the driver of the camaro was "Corky" from the TV show "Life Goes On" and he had 2 sparkplug wires pulled off. even then i'd still call BS.
if there's one thing i can't stand i some kid who was next to some old lady at a light in a V6 camaro,took off when it went green keeping it mashed thinking grandma was racing him, then going online bragging that he beat a camaro.
kid it will never happen.grow up admit you are stupid and try to think with reality in mind before you open your mouth;)

400Ex_Rida
10-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Camaro all the way. Put on a zo6 intake and a cam

The440Exorcist
10-27-2003, 03:23 PM
well guys I think im gonna go for the camaro, maybe get a hopped up z06 cam and ia z06 intake. Oh and both cars are red. Also my mom has a 99 dodg dakota sport with the V8 engine, its lighter than the durango...and theres no way the dakota could touch the camaro. But hey I ain't calling you a liar

The440Exorcist
10-27-2003, 03:29 PM
the only way you beat an LS1 powered camaro with your durango is if the driver of the camaro was "Corky" from the TV show "Life Goes On" and he had 2 sparkplug wires pulled off. even then i'd still call BS.

LOL, that was good

The440Exorcist
10-27-2003, 03:29 PM

LOL, that was good

Crazy4bluEx
10-27-2003, 03:35 PM
i attended a race at putnam park road course in "greencastle" indiana..... i saw a 800 rwhp stang get owned by a stock new bubble body maro SS.. like 10 seconds owned, on the road course its all tires, not motor.... suspension helps, but motor dont mean sh*t.. its kind of like, having a 500ex with stock suspension, ect.... its fun in a straight line.

Moded86R
10-27-2003, 06:03 PM
There is no way a durango R/T can take an LS1 camaro.

I have a 69 chevy long bed.I used to have a 307 in it.It had a comp cams cam,edelbrock performer RPM intake,1406 carb and an HEI with an accell super coil.I also had 2.5 inch dual exhaust,a three speed manual trans and 3:73 rearend.

One day I was at a light and guess what pulls next to me.A new durango r/t.She's got the 5.9 emblems 17 inch wheels.This older guy and I guess his wife was in there.I wasn't really expecting a race.But something told me to keep my gaurd on.Well the light turned green and that old dude went for it.As soon as I saw him and nailed it.Within no time I was even with him.I shift to second and pull another 1/2 a length.By the time I was in third I was about 2 lenghts ahead.That was about 70mph.And I let off.Then about 2 miles down the road the guy gets up next to me and looks over.We both nailed it and again I got him from 65-85 I had another lenght and a half.This durango also had exhaust on it.That is why I kinda thought he was going to run.

That was with a 4000+ pound truck.With a stock bore never rebuilt 32 year old 307!

Now tell me you beat an ls1 again.

jasoncarr25
10-27-2003, 06:25 PM
like i said dont know what your callin a ls1.i beat a camaro with a v8 in it.that old guy and his wife you thought wanted to race obviously didnt want to.and so the rest of you know i aint no kid.im 25 years old and so far im very succesful in life. i own 2 businesses that are very succesful and have no reason to lie to a bunch of young punks. you know alot of you kids on here are very rude and dont have to be. i can see you and all your little freinds sittin around the comp gigling thinkin its funny to talk alot of trash.you know this site (i thought) was freindly and able to discuss things that happen in your everyday life.like i said before! i have no reason to lie, and i did out run a camaro in the 1/4 with my durango.thanx for showing me that you cant have a normal discussion with a bunch of kids.and for crday98 you need to grow up stop having useless arguments on the comp, and learn to shut your mouth. your retarded.and for chef, i bet you look just like the guy above your name. see its easy to call names on the comp but how stupid is it. i would bet my durango that beat a camaro that none of you would talk this crap in person, cause you would have to learn the hard way. just drop this arg cause im done with all of you.ya know i try and participate in a normal conversation and end up with a bunch of idiots.

Crazy4bluEx
10-27-2003, 07:34 PM
^ get `em..... i never doubted you, hey its all the driver, but i have to say..... i have never ran across an "insanely" fast maro that was just driving around...only one, that was like 700 hp so obviously im not about to run with him :eek2:

JustRace
10-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Simple post your time slips, and if you don't even know what an "lS1" is then you shouldn't be posting in this thread. Yeah I believe your durango could beat a old camaro with the LG4 v8 in it, but you stepped into a thread you should have never opened your mouth in.

Come up with some proof that you beat a LS1 (not just a v8 camaro) and then someone will maybe believe you.

Atleast give us this, describe what the camaro looked like. Was is all boxy and square or did it look like a sebring (I hate to use that reference but i figure he may actually know what those are)?

jasoncarr25
10-27-2003, 07:52 PM
read my first post on this subject.i never said a ls1. here at home we set up 1/4 mile runs on sunday on some backroads so sorry no slips.we do it for cash. the camaro was prolly about a 92 or so.but there again all i said was a v8 camaro.you shouldnt be so quick to jump the gun that people are out to get you, some people dont lie and only want other people knowing what they own like every other tom dick and henry on here.you said i shouldnt of came to this post? well like i was told on another post, this site is for anybody nomatter what quad you own or what you drive. so people all im saying is grow up let people talk without calling them a liar and be nice. what would this site be if all you rude people ran off the nice ones? you wouldnt have anybody on here to talk to ,trde with or sell to.

Juggalo
10-27-2003, 08:08 PM
jason, it was probably a third gen camero with the 305 in it. the LS1 camero that we are talking about in this thread is much more powerful than the old 5 liter engine found in the third gens.

JustRace
10-27-2003, 08:53 PM
The point I said you shouldn't have posted is because you were not adding any important information about the LS1 camaro, which is what was asked about. You implied that is what you beat by just posting in this thread, if it wasn't you should have specified. See what i'm saying? You implied that he shouldn't get it because you "beat" a camaro, that actually has nothing to do with this thread. The camaro he was talking about would kill your Durango and my camaro. So what does you having beat probably a LG4 camaro have to do an LS1 camaro?

MOFO
10-28-2003, 05:23 AM
read my first post on this subject.i never said a ls1. here at home we set up 1/4 mile runs on sunday on some backroads so sorry no slips.we do it for cash. the camaro was prolly about a 92 or so.but there again all i said was a v8 camaro.you shouldnt be so quick to jump the gun that people are out to get you, some people dont lie and only want other people knowing what they own like every other tom dick and henry on here.you said i shouldnt of came to this post? well like i was told on another post, this site is for anybody nomatter what quad you own or what you drive. so people all im saying is grow up let people talk without calling them a liar and be nice. what would this site be if all you rude people ran off the nice ones? you wouldnt have anybody on here to talk to ,trde with or sell to.

I smell BS.

you race for money, but yet dont know anything about the cars you race against??? What kind of money racing includes a stock Durango vs a 92'ish stock camaro?

If this is true I'm going to say the car had problems... a 305TPI would beat your Durango with the 5.9L, a 350 TPI would slaughter it. If this is true, its either car problems or driver error (massive error). These are the only two possible answers....

Please elaborate about how MB built your 5.9L ...

Moded86R
10-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Yes I know the old guy was trying to race.

You probably beat an LG4 camaro.They run about a 17 second 1/4.(They will go faster if in good tune.)Even a L69 (305 TPI)camaro with a 5 speed could take you.Not to mention an L98.

The reason you posted you beat a camaro in the first place is the reason we all thought you where talking about an LS1.That's because we are talking about LS1's.That is what this topic is about.

Have you ever riden in an LS1.I got to ride in a 2002 ss with a t-56.The guy had headers,cam,intake,everything.They guy said he beat a z06 to 150mph.I believe him!This car was insane.

And then you try to tell me your SUV beat an ls1 camaro.

Maybe since you got all the money from 2 business's you can afford to buy and LS1 and not an overpriced slow SUV with some fancy badging and wheels.

BTW the LG4 wasn't available after 87.That is when it was replaced by the L03.(305 TBI)But what the heck do I know I am just some "punk kid"

HoNdAdude48
10-28-2003, 07:18 PM
ill beat all 3, the camaro, the cobra, and this ungodly "bonestock" durango, with my fuel injected ramjet 350, 66 nova=400hp

user101
10-28-2003, 07:38 PM
this is cool:eek2: :huh

Guy400
10-29-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by HoNdAdude48
ill beat all 3, the camaro, the cobra, and this ungodly "bonestock" durango, with my fuel injected ramjet 350, 66 nova=400hp Do you have any pics of this car? I'd love to see it :macho

The440Exorcist
10-29-2003, 03:45 PM
Me 2!:D