PDA

View Full Version : need help fast, heli coil

44oEX
10-09-2003, 12:20 PM
As some of you know I have a head stud that is stripped and planed on putting a heli coil but the kits are like 80$can. I don't really need the complete kit cause I have a tap set.

What I need to know is what size tap do I need to use for a 10mm metric fine tread bolt???:confused:

Any machinist out there please help I whant to get the 500 out this weekend really bad.

luvmyex
10-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Go to any nappa store and they should have the smaller kits.They are only around $40.If its the bolts that go tru the head cover thenyou need a 8mm set not 10

Aceman
10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
I had to purchase a Helicoil kit through Napa for my drainplug it was like 75 bucks, it was the only kit they offered. As for having a tap set, it doesn't matter the Helicoil kit comes with a tap that is specially made for the helicoil insert. You can't use a metric tap because it's not the right thread to screw an insert into it. You have to use the Helicoil kits special tap. As soon as the insert is screwed in the hole it will have the perfect thread pitch for your bolt. You also need to know what thread pitch your bolt is. A 12mm helicoil kit for my drainplug had like 2 or 3 different thread pitches. Hope this helps.