PDA

View Full Version : If Your 18 And Ride In Sand Dunes, Ca Read

SAND LUVR
10-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Dear fellow duner,
We have have been asked by the dunes law enforcement agencies to remind you of a
law that has been on the books since 1988. The law deals with children under the
age of 18 operating an ATV in California.

The law reads as follows:
"38503. No person under the age of 18 years, on and after January 1, 1990, shall
operate an all-terrain vehicle on public lands of this state unless the person
satisfies one of the following conditions:

(a) The person is taking a prescribed safety training course under the direct
supervision of a certified all-terrain vehicle safety instructor.

(b) The person is under the direct supervision of an adult who has in their
possession an appropriate safety certificate issued by this state, or issued
under the authority of another state.

(c) The person has in possession an appropriate safety certificate issued by
this state or issued under the authority of another state.
Added Ch. 881, Stats. 1987. Effective January 1, 1988."

If you have taken the course offered by the ATV Safety Institute, please make
sure you bring your certificate with you (or at least a copy of it). If you no
longer have your certificate, contact them and they can tell you how you can
obtain a duplicate. If you have never taken the course, we urge you to consider
enrolling so you can be compliant with the CA law.

If you have purchased an ATV new from a dealer you can take the course at no
charge, otherwise there is a fee for the course. Contact the ASI for more
information or to schedule yourself or your children for a course at 800 887

Best regards,
The ASA

K2Snow
10-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Are they going to start enforcing this somehow from now on?

310Rduner
10-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
Are they going to start enforcing this somehow from now on?

Don't worry about anything at Pismo Cody, the rangers are all basically on our side, and they don't mind if you are even cruising around on your own, half the time I am out and i see a ranger i will stop and talk to him for a min or two, or at least let him know i appreciate what they're doing; never been stopped for anything so far.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in Pismo it is of no concern to the ranger's.

K2Snow
10-09-2003, 04:40 PM
sweet, I'm taking the safety course in like 2 weeks so i can get the 100 dollar rebate so it doesn't really matter. however, i am heading out to the dunes in 1 week cause i finally got a saturday off from work. don't want my ONE saturday off to be ruined. i'll be 18 pretty soon too... hmm

310Rduner
10-09-2003, 04:55 PM
You are going to be so freaking bored at the rider safety class man. If they didn't pay $100 to do it then it would be even more pointless. They are basically going to show you how to turn...:huh

deathman53
10-09-2003, 08:03 PM
If you have ridden a quad/trike for a short time, the class is basically pointless. I never took the class, but the guy I bought my first quad did and he said it was ridiculas, he like me also took the course from rider-ed to get a motorcylcle license and I was bored stiff with the rider-ed course, so I only could imagine how boring the atv course would be .If your already 18, I wouldn't bother taking it. The $100 wouldn't be worth a day of lost riding time.

310Rduner
10-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
If you have ridden a quad/trike for a short time, the class is basically pointless. I never took the class, but the guy I bought my first quad did and he said it was ridiculas, he like me also took the course from rider-ed to get a motorcylcle license and I was bored stiff with the rider-ed course, so I only could imagine how boring the atv course would be .If your already 18, I wouldn't bother taking it. The $100 wouldn't be worth a day of lost riding time.

yes.. yes it will...:)

It was funny, the ranger that was "instructing" us was showing us the pictures, and asking what we should do in the situations. I was being a bit of a jackass when it came to the duning picture.. talking about all this stuff the ranger had never even thought of.. lol. He just kept saying he wasn't sure, but it all sounded right.. he only rides in the Sierra's.:p

K2Snow
10-09-2003, 11:37 PM
i'll be wanting to ride a wheelie or something the whole time, prob get kicked out