PDA

View Full Version : Reassembling cilinder

StreetLegalEX
10-09-2003, 03:31 AM
Well, I am in the proces of replacing head gaskets and stuff and I was wondering what I should look out for when reassembling the engine, since this is my first time doing this.

How about lubing the cam etc?

Any tips on how to reinstall the piston in the cilinder? Is there anyway to compress the rings or something like that so it would slide in easier?

How long should engine been run (idle?) before retorqueing cilinder nuts?

stupid driver
10-09-2003, 06:51 AM
best tip right here:::

Get a service manual. It will tell you everything

sickmojave
10-09-2003, 07:02 AM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif J/k

StreetLegalEX
10-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Got the manual allright, but I guess somebody has some extra tips that are essential to prevent f*ckups right? ;)

I want to have it done right this time.

L.Vegas400
10-09-2003, 04:02 PM
dont drop your cam chain, read through the whole procedure before you do the job. dont forget your bushings that keep everything lined up. dont get in a hurry! reread the steps after you finish just to be sure, i found out the hard way this is the easy way. it saved my but a couple times. dont be chincy on the assybly lube on the cam. dont get in a hurry! use two people to lower the cylinder on to the piston, one person compressing the ring and one holding and lowering the cylinder. i found if you start the side away from you and compress the side toward you, you can see how much more you need to compress to get the ring in. once again dont get in a hurry! dont force anything that just wont go. there is a reason it wont, and its usually not cause the hammer isnt big enough.

stupid driver
10-09-2003, 10:20 PM
use a torque wrench. Not one of those cheap ones that is the "needle and gauge"style. The one that you set on the exact setting you want and it clicks when you hit that mark.(u know what im talkking about :rolleyes: )

StreetLegalEX
10-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the good advice!

How about the assembly lube on the cam, can't i use plain 10w40 oil?

Should I also drop some locktite on the nuts?

L.Vegas400
10-10-2003, 03:42 PM
i just put lock tite on the nuts and bolts the manual says to. some stuff will expand and contract with the heat and settle into its position and need retourquing(ie. the head). personally i would use the assy lube on the cam defenatly. you can pick it up at almost any auto parts store. dont be a wus when you put it on either, in other words put more than just a thin layer on it. i think the reason for assy lube is, it doesnt just run away wne you first start it up. it will stay till it is washed away with oil. make sure its the kind with moly something or other in it. look through the install and get the name of it, amke a run to the store and your set. you should also us it on the pin in the bottom of the piston.