PDA

View Full Version : My parents might help get a shop going I need advice and ideas!

Narly R
10-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Well we have an house that we could sell for about 70-80 grand, and I know it would cost a lot more than that to get s shop going, but it would help. I still have to talk them into it. But the shop here is retarted and it wouldnt be anything to put those people out of buissness, but about how much does it cost to get it going and how do we go about it? I mean getting machanics and becoming a licenced dealer? And anything i need to know or what do you guys think makes a shop a REAL shop, I KNOW that after we got going we would have TONs and TONS of coustomers. We would defently have Honda's, Yamaha's and Im thinkin Suzuki's both ATV's and Dirt Bikes... I want it to be decent size, but lease is soo expensive. Just put in the good word so i can show the parents.
:)

Giz400ex
10-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Do you want sell quads or quad parts ect..? I believe if you want to sell quads, you gotta be a certain miles away from a related dealer. You can't have two Honda dealers in the same town, I think:confused You gotta do the homework on that!

Narly R
10-08-2003, 07:34 PM
I want parts, bikes, accerories, and have like a build bikes and sell them thing. it would be about 15-25 miles away from all the saki,suki,yamaha, and honda shops. Isnt something called a.... i foregot, but where the shop pays to have nobody around there make another one. I would want apperal and things like that too. a well rounded shop.:cool:

JD400exrider
10-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Where is the house in orgeon you are looking to sell for 70-80 grand. Give some info please. How big, How much property, What town. May be interested. Might make a good getaway :D

Diedrich
10-08-2003, 11:43 PM
im gonna try and start a lil shop..work on quads, sell parts, sell quads, and everything else..i got a buddy im tryin to talk into moving up here and help me..im just gonna buy some land or get my grandpa to give me some and build a nice size building and just open a shop..shouldn't cost a whole lot to get it going..good luck man

Jay300ex
10-09-2003, 05:31 AM
The buisness owner is the one that forks over A TON of money just to get the buisness going. And I do mean a ton. It's also a good idea to take buisness classes, AND have training as a technition. I would say your best bet would be to start off small, sell just quads, repair just quads, when you get more money, start doing bikes, then different brands.

The shop I work at sells Honda and Arctic Cat, but they will sell used yam, suz, harleys ect.. And they work on all the Jap bikes and such, but only have a dealership to sell brand new Hondas and Arctic Cats.

Do you have enough activity in the scene around you to make enough money off of this investment?

Jay

jcv400ex
10-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Let me tell ya, it ain't easy. But, with the right mindset and LOTS of HARD work and money, it can happen. We started out this year with only $700 in the bank....yeah it was scary. To become a dealer, you have to have equity. You'll never get Suzuki, Yamaha or Polaris to look at you until you have over $100,000 in equity. (building, land, money in the bank) Honda?! Yeah right, your looking at $1,000,000......yeah, that's a million!

Start out small, become just a service and parts store. This is where you'll see if it's worth the investment for a large dealership. See what the public has to say about you. That $70-80K will just get you started. You'll be spending $25k on just assesories alone, that's not counting the stuff you really nead.

trueblue450
10-09-2003, 08:42 AM
does yamaha and honda let you sell together i think you can only sell one brand due to exclusivity.??

VIC
10-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by trueblue450
does yamaha and honda let you sell together i think you can only sell one brand due to exclusivity.??

Around here dealers sell all of them together. Honda/Kawi/Suzuki/Yamaha

Alba sells bombs, yami, dales, suzuki, and I think they might start selling Hondas, they started selling Honda parts this year.

Doibugu2
10-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Inventory is going to be one of your biggest expenses. It could be real easy to have $70k in inventory laying around. Think, the more parts and cloths you want to sell, that all cost a lot of money. I would start out small and deciede what you really want to do.

Do you want to sell parts/apperal or do you want to do service. Pick one, and get good at it and turn a profit. Then start doing a little of the other.

Do you enough people around where you are at to justify a location/store. The rules 1-3 in business are location,location,location. That is business school 101.

Do your homework, work hard, and take care of the customers, and you will make money.

416exmx
10-09-2003, 04:27 PM
70-80K would just be a drop in the bucket if you are planning on anything very big. take that money and start a MX track. that is where the money is. run it right and it would pay for its self in 2-3 years and then just watch it grow.